Question for the experts

Thanks everyone! That first strand will definitely be restrung...the balance of the beads are off...but that's ok, it was my first attempt! I am really going to have to practice the crimping part, as I think that will be a challenge for me. And I need to find some 14k white gold crimps to go with the clasp. The clasp is really quite heavy, as are the 8 attached rings. I won't need to use a jump ring since the wire should go around each ring fairly easily. I used a 49/.38mm wire which worked extremely well...all little beads went through easily and the pearls seem to be snug enough.

I also love the blue sapphires agains the tahitians...there is something very calming about the colors. I had originally planned on black spinels but the blue necklace presented itself to me first!

Katbran, I recently made a necklace with heshi style labradorites and, yes, the pinching has been annoying. I wasn't sure what was causing it - the shape of the beads, that they were strung on too tight or whatever. Thanks!

I've also used Heshi on a lot of necklaces and when I use wire it does seem to grab my hair and it's annoying. I've used 30lb Power Pro on stone beads that are less sharp -like turquoise and lapis lazuli without it cutting... but those little Gems...I just wouldn't trust it. Thinking about it ...the Heshi beads may be more inclined to pull anyway as they lay flat against each other and it's easier to catch hair so you might be right about that. .

And JP .. do practice with those crimps..they can be tricky ... I can never get them to fold over correctly lol that's why I switched to the tornadoes .

PD- good point on the Tornadoes..I put several things together before I caught on to the need to make sure they are flat in line with the way the piece is going to sit .. those edges are sharp and they can snag on fine fabrics as well as be scratchy.

JP Best of luck - it's going to be gorgeous!

I love it, Jersey! I can't wait to see it finished. Another beautiful necklace!

JerseyPearl, that is going to be stunning ... I love blue sapphires ... lovely with the Tahitians!

Jersey, how big are pearls? Are they round? They look great with the sapphires.

May I ask, so let's imagine I get some pearls of my choice and want to get a similar necklace (just a long rope with one single clasp, in black spinel), could I get that made somewhere? Never having done any stringing or anything of the sort, I can't see myself doing something so complicated...

May I ask, so let's imagine I get some pearls of my choice and want to get a similar necklace (just a long rope with one single clasp, in black spinel), could I get that made somewhere? Never having done any stringing or anything of the sort, I can't see myself doing something so complicated...

The pearls are 8-9mm ovals (which are really more like off rounds than true ovals). These are "leftovers" from other projects. As my daughter would say, I did a Frankenstein on this one...I found a 4 strand sapphire rondelle necklace at the pawn shop and decided that it would be perfect for a necklace. I had originally wanted to use black spinels, but opportunity knocked. It really isn't that difficult to put together, although I'm still practicing on the crimps...but I think you can do this!! The teeny tiny beads are tedious, but at the same time, it's nice to concentrate on something so completely.

Thanks Pirard. They look bigger than 8-9mm.

The sapphires are gorgeous. I wear tons of black, though, so for me I think black would be better -- not a lot of contrast, but I guess it would give a nice sparkle.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

yes- Hisano made mine for me last year. Rather than string on beading wire mine has been strung and knotted on either side of each tahitian pearl. I asked Hisano about making it at about time last year and she picked up the spinels at their Hong Kong buying trip last September- the spinels are not expensive. Jeremy and Hisano should be heading back in a couple of weeks if you're interested. The tahitians I used were all AAA and round and special colors, so for me I wanted the pearls very secure and I don't know how to knot pearls. However, if you just want to string them on beading wire, it is not complicated at all. In fact, it's pretty easy and fun!!

photo of mine tahitian spinel5.jpg

Thanks. Pinkjewel -- I think we all in PS and PG want a necklace like yours! It's simply stunning. I remember your thread in PS.. Do you find you wear it a lot, or does it feel too dressy? My style is pretty casual so maybe I should go for non rounds (it would be more affordable, too).

Thanks. Pinkjewel -- I think we all in PS and PG want a necklace like yours! It's simply stunning. I remember your thread in PS.. Do you find you wear it a lot, or does it feel too dressy? My style is pretty casual so maybe I should go for non rounds (it would be more affordable, too).
thanks!! And happy for anyone who wants one, too. I really love it!!! but, good question about if I feel it's dressy, as I'm pretty casual, too. I wore it a lot in the winter (didn't have it for Fall as it was a Christmas present) and I know I'll wear it in the Fall this year. Love the look with solid color sweaters and each different color sweater brings out different colors in the pearls. I did not wear it this summer as I felt the spinels looked dressy with my summer clothes-lots of casual knit tops. If I had dressed up (black linen dress, etc)- I would certainly have pulled them out to wear. And it's been a very hot, humid summer here and I haven't worn many necklaces at all unless it's a thin chain with a diamond or pearl pendant. I don't think the type of pearl affects the "dressiness" of the necklace as much as the sparkly faceted spinels. But that's just my opinion.

thanks!! And happy for anyone who wants one, too. I really love it!!! but, good question about if I feel it's dressy, as I'm pretty casual, too. I wore it a lot in the winter (didn't have it for Fall as it was a Christmas present) and I know I'll wear it in the Fall this year. Love the look with solid color sweaters and each different color sweater brings out different colors in the pearls. I did not wear it this summer as I felt the spinels looked dressy with my summer clothes-lots of casual knit tops. If I had dressed up (black linen dress, etc)- I would certainly have pulled them out to wear. And it's been a very hot, humid summer here and I haven't worn many necklaces at all unless it's a thin chain with a diamond or pearl pendant. I don't think the type of pearl affects the "dressiness" of the necklace as much as the sparkly faceted spinels. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks pinkjewel! It is really lovely, and I like how the pearls are irregularly spaced -- just like JerseyPearl's (by the way, sorry about hijacking your thread, JP! such beautiful necklace!)

pinkjewel,

Is it comfortable on your bare neck or are the faceted spinels scratchy at all?

Back