Problem or a nuisance?

bbs7th

Hello pearl knotting experts!

This morning I noticed an unsightly gap in my ombre SS/Tahitian rope - is this merely a cosmetic problem or a structural one that needs to be addressed before wearing it again? If the latter, is it a quick fix or would the entire necklace need to be restrung?

Thanks much!
Susan

Attachments

• IMG_4373 (1024x894) (640x559).jpg
    IMG_4373 (1024x894) (640x559).jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4376 (1024x651) (640x407).jpg
    IMG_4376 (1024x651) (640x407).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 32
It seems strange to have a knot with a loose end in the middle of a strand. I would re-string the necklace for both cosmetic and security reasons.

I agree with Marianne. I'd also restring the necklace for security and cosmetic reasons.

Could the mid-strand location be because they used white silk for the SS and gray for the Tahitians? The issue occurred one pearl away from the color transition.

Thanks for your reply. I had a hunch restringing would be the answer.

Yes! Those are stunning ombre pearls and you want to protect that investment. You will want to restring them. I love those pearls. They are on my wishlist.

I'd restring too. Those are beautiful ombré pearls! Where did you get them?

Looks like one of the strings in your strand has broken...I agree with everyone else that you should have this restrung. Your strand is beautiful, btw. This is something that you can easily do yourself...but you can also pay to have someone restring it for you. The going rate around here for a restring is $1-2 per knot, so for a long strand it can add up. Restringing is also a great time to add or take away/switch out some pearls (not that yours need it) and make earrings with leftovers. Just remember if you do restring it yourself, keep the same order by transferring the pearls to a wire or doubled temporary thread.

I never thought of changing the color of the thread, but it would make a more dramatic strand. It's gorgeous. :)

Restring, definitely! I recommend learning to do it yourself -- it's not hard at all and you'll save money. See tutorials on our Lowly Beaders forum. Serafil and Beaders Secret (synthetic, silk-like thread) make it easy to knot without using tools.

I wonder if a light gray thread would be a good for the entire strand?
Maybe "Mist": https://www.etsy.com/listing/150881...aders-secret-knotting?ref=shop_home_active_20
or
"Stone:: https://www.etsy.com/listing/164847...aders-secret-knotting?ref=shop_home_active_35

Last edited:
Thank you, pearl friends, for your kind responses. I will send the rope back to the jeweler to be restrung. Alas, I only received it last week!

A photo of the whole ombre set below, as well as a quick story as to how the pearls came into my life.

Not too long ago, Jeremy posted a photo of Michelle Obama wearing a fabulous pair of ombre ropes very similar to mine. While my husband and I were strolling along the avenue in Kona, HI on our 30th anniversary trip, I saw my rope in a jeweler's window. Of course, being PG savvy I had no intention of purchasing it...I just wanted to see it in person because it absolutely glowed. It got my attention from across the street! I tried it on just for fun, then proceeded to explain to my husband (and the saleslady!) what made the pearls so special...anyway, I handed the strand back with a sigh and left the store wistful but proud of my willpower.

Fast forward two weeks to last Wednesday. A package from Hawaii? What's this? Well, it seems my darling husband went back and purchased not only the 9-11mm 36" rope, but a 20" strand and 11-12mm bracelet, as well. Needless to say, I did not chastise him for paying full retail. :)

I wish the photo would do them justice - the peacock is very high, the grays have a distinct rosy pistachio overtone, and the WSSs are silvery. I hate having to part with my rope so soon!

Thank you again for your help. I've missed this place!

IMG_3705 (640x568).jpg

Those are gorgeous strands! What a nice husband!

Congratulations on your 30th anniversary! What a wonderful husband!!! No wonder you've kept him around! :)

Well I need another husband ....I point things out all the time around my birthday...and I end up with something completely random..nice..but totally random lol Your husband did a spectacular job ... tell him he has set the bar very very high !

Just a thought...have the jeweller check the drill holes of the pearl...I can't easily see where it would have contributed to the thread being cut but it's worth a look to make sure there isn't a sharp edge. Might have snagged when being pulled through . It just seem so odd to me that the gap is between the two knots... when I would get a gap ( prior to Beaders Secret ) with heavy pearls it was always between the knot and the pearl.

Back