CharmedOne

Attachments

• P1010830
    P1010830
    24.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 36
Niiiice! Thanks for sharing :) I love vintage rings.

- Karin

I thought dyed/irradiated pearls had to be drilled first? The OP's pearls were undrilled.

Correct, FrenchPearl's pearls are undrilled, and register as untreated by the color pallette numbers. My speculation is about the dark pearl in the ring above.

Thanks, I don't know how/remember my reading about the processes for irradiation, and vapor deposition . I probably should take the post down, since I don't have time to read up on irradiation and vapor deposition myself right now. :confused: :) Yep, I'll take it down.

I also see that this ring hasn't sold yet. I thought it had, or I wouldn't have speculated. Dang, my bad.

Quick read rules out irradiation, I think, if the pearl is as old as stated, although discovery of x-rays dated 1895. (Imagine that! 1895!) Something to consider is that experimentation precedes patents, re vapor or iodide or heat treatments. I'll get in touch with my friend with the dark pearls in FL this December, see if she'll let me photograph them.

Last edited:
Really? Never would've occurred to me, I thought all pinnas were dark blue. That's why you guys deserve the title Expert! Or do you mean French Pearl's blue pearl?

My tablet shows the ring pearl with more pink than anything else.

I think I'm just a Philistine (which is no doubt a definition unfair to Philistines). I don't find pearls that lack luster interesting; I should pay closer attention. I love the ring design.

Last edited:
Nice call GG! Thank you for the link. This pearl looks just like the necklace.

It makes me wonder if my southern neighbor has Penn pearls, rather than irradiated. If they are, it'd be unusual, right?...now I really have to photograph her pearls. Memory has my neighbor's pearls as pretty round though.

Back