Poison Pearl history

. So guys, I want to sell my necklace as I've just turned 82, neither of my girls want the pearls, nor my grands. Do any of you have any recommendations as to whom I should contact re selling them? And any suggestions as to asking price/value?
You might want to contact KariPearls.com as she does sell natural pearls. We aren't able to advise values.

I extra big ❤️ this thread. Makes me want to do poison pearls in reverse. I've never heard of this before and I am so intrigued.
It reminds me of "the Persian flaw" in carpet making. The concept is that, only God is perfect, so the makers would add an intentional flaw to their weavings. I wonder if this explains the "poison pearl" in an otherwise flawless necklace of natural pearls?

Yes, I believe that would indicate the pearls are older.
What would be the most likely source of the FW predating modern Chinese FWs? Is there any chance the pearl was introduced at a later date upon restringing, not only as an intentional ‘defect’ but as a test for the labs to give increased credibility to their reports? But I guess it’s clear that no restringing has taken place.

Jeremy, our necklace that you presented at Pearls by the Bay representing the marriage of naturals and cultureds has that 14mm SS drop at the center that we’ve always regarded as our ‘poison’ pearl.

What would be the most likely source of the FW predating modern Chinese FWs? Is there any chance the pearl was introduced at a later date upon restringing, not only as an intentional ‘defect’ but as a test for the labs to give increased credibility to their reports? But I guess it’s clear that no restringing has taken place.

Jeremy, our necklace that you presented at Pearls by the Bay representing the marriage of naturals and cultureds has that 14mm SS drop at the center that we’ve always regarded as our ‘poison’ pearl.
Japanese fresh water tissue nucleated or "keshi" pearls were mostly sold to the Middle East, most likely they were resold as natural pearls.

Japanese fresh water tissue nucleated or "keshi" pearls were mostly sold to the Middle East, most likely they were resold as natural pearls.
The size and shape of the pearls in question, predating Chinese technology by many decades, would have made them as rare and valuable as the naturals. Perhaps not intended as poison but just the opposite?

The size and shape of the pearls in question, predating Chinese technology by many decades, would have made them as rare and valuable as the naturals. Perhaps not intended as poison but just the opposite?
to be clear.. only answering your question, not suggesting that the entire necklace was freshwater. YES, maybe a another type of marker, I'm still thinking it may have had reverent connotations.

The Arabian Peninsula is not known for its freshwater resources, but very well known for it saltwater pearls...so, to have a freshwater natural pearl from the area is quite intriguing!
My question is more related to Douglas' original comment above, assuming that a symmetrical FW at the time of a vintage strand's production would be natural. That Persian Gulf is a traditional hub for the international pearl trade beyond its local production leaves the door wide open.

My question is more related to Douglas' original comment above, assuming that a symmetrical FW at the time of a vintage strand's production would be natural. That Persian Gulf is a traditional hub for the international pearl trade beyond its local production leaves the door wide open.
I worked a couple of months on a project to see if Pakistan (smack in the middle between the Persian Gulf and India's Gulf of Manaar) would be a feasible pearl producing player, so I had a chance to study and review texts from this whole area. After the information was reviewed, I came to believe that Pakistan had perhaps once been a minor pearl producer in the area (their pearl beds mainly restricted to a couple of large islands) and that itinerant Indian and Arab pearl fishermen and pearl merchants would stop there to fish or buy pearls...so they would not be accounted as "Pakistani Pearls" but as Indian or Persian Gulf pearls. And I guess that freshwater pearls that could be fished out of the Indus river or its tributaries could have found their way down to the coast, where these pearl merchants could have been found.
Well, at least this is a possibility.

The only thing I will add to this discussion is that the gorgeous clasp on Hisano's double necklace appears to be from the Edwardian period-1901-1915. Obviously, the pearls could be older than that. And that is one stunning piece; pearls and clasp.

Back