Poison Pearl history

Savannah82

I have a vintage strand of Bahraini pearls, verified by GIA. In their comments section, they write: "Undetermined freshwater pearl, 18 from the clasp end." I have been told this is referred to as a "poison pearl" and is the signature of the original stringer. I have spent months, off and on, researching this and can find absolutely nothing. Anyone here have a clue they would like to share? Most appreciative.

Interesting. The Arabian Peninsula is not known for its freshwater resources, but very well known for it saltwater pearls...so, to have a freshwater natural pearl from the area is quite intriguing!
Never heard of the term "Poison Pearl" before, and I have read quite extensively.
The best I can remember is that natural pearls can baffle poisons!
Would love to see a photo of your certificate!

I remember being at RUCKUS at that cliff side house, and Hisano had a beautiful, long, double strand of natural salt water pearls. Someone mentioned the poison pearl, and this was the first time I'd heard of it. We very quickly found it. It was a couple of inches from the clasp. Once you saw it, you could tell it was different from all the other natural pearls.

I have seen a natural strand of pearls with a similar pearl at GIA Bangkok. There was a single freshwater pearl mixed in with a strand of naturals, described as intentionally placed within the strand as a sort of marker.
So, doesn't that tell you that these strands with poison pearls are much older?

I remember being at RUCKUS at that cliff side house, and Hisano had a beautiful, long, double strand of natural salt water pearls. Someone mentioned the poison pearl, and this was the first time I'd heard of it. We very quickly found it. It was a couple of inches from the clasp. Once you saw it, you could tell it was different from all the other natural pearls.
Pls see comment I wrote to jshepheard

I have seen a natural strand of pearls with a similar pearl at GIA Bangkok. There was a single freshwater pearl mixed in with a strand of naturals, described as intentionally placed within the strand as a sort of marker.
This is truly interesting! This should be jotted down in a book!
Or: have it as a Pearl-Guide Exclusive!
This is so good to know!

Pls see comment I wrote to jshepheard
Yes, I believe that would indicate the pearls are older.
Here is Hisano's double strand. You can see the "Poison Pearl" at pearl number 15 down from the clasp, outside strand.

Double strand natural pearl necklace with antique clasp.jpg

Here it is up close.

Freshwater pearl in a natural saltwater strand.jpg

The clasp is antique.

Old diamond clasp.jpg

Another shot of the "Poison Pearl."

Poison Pearl in Natural Strand.jpg

The GIA Cert

The GIA Pearl Identification Report - Natural Two Strand Pearl Necklace

You learn new things everyday!
I agree! I mean...I've been in the pearl business for decades and you simply can never know everything!
But a forum like ours: is a source for unlimited sharing and knowledge!

I love this! Kind of like how some quilters purposely put an error somewhere in their quilts because no quilt is ever perfect.

Here is Hisano's double strand. You can see the "Poison Pearl" at pearl number 15 down from the clasp, outside strand.

View attachment 467859

Here it is up close.

View attachment 467858

The clasp is antique.

View attachment 467857

View attachment 467860

The GIA Cert

View attachment 467861
This reads like my GIA certificate except for the amount of total pearls. Wow! I think I have a valuable necklace here folks, what do you think?

View attachment 467859

Here it is up close.

View attachment 467858

The clasp is antique.

View attachment 467857

View attachment 467860

The GIA Cert

View attachment 467861
My poison pearl is much more rounded, like the naturals, and much the same color.

So guys, I want to sell my necklace as I've just turned 82, neither of my girls want the pearls, nor my grands. Do any of you have any recommendations as to whom I should contact re selling them? And any suggestions as to asking price/value?

All the people I know here in this Continent are sellers, more than buyers of finished natural pearl necklaces. They will buy lose natural pearls, make necklaces and jewelry and sell. So their offer price may not suit you that much.
A possibility is to have someone sell it for you and they will collect a fee or percentage of the value as sold.

All the people I know here in this Continent are sellers, more than buyers of finished natural pearl necklaces. They will buy lose natural pearls, make necklaces and jewelry and sell. So their offer price may not suit you that much.
A possibility is to have someone sell it for you and they will collect a fee or percentage of the value as sold.
Actually, when I wrote that, I didn't know it was against the rules, so I humbly apologize to everyone.

Back