Please help me get started!

BeeBee

Community member
Hi Everyone!

I would like to finally restring the 35" necklace I bought at an estate sale.
You can see all the photos here: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9809

There are 100 pearls, each about 8mm. Total weight 80g.
It's pretty heavy so I would love some advice in getting the right materials before I begin.

-I have a wood knotting tool that I bought years ago. Still a good option?
-Would Beaders Secret thread be the way to go? Should I buy the cream color since the pearls are cream? Or maybe ivory?
-Are there different thicknesses?
-Which needle do you recommend? I only have limited experience using silk thread with the attached needle years ago on craft projects.
-Where can I buy gimp?
-I'll reuse the clasp.

I haven't cut the necklace apart and washed the pearls yet. Still scared!

Thank you!

Post #2 of my thread about stringing pearls answers some of your questions; you won't need a tool if using Pattye's Serafil thread or Beaders Secret.

Last edited:
Thank you 1stpearl. I'm looking forward to wearing it one day!

Pearl Dreams - For a beginner, working with a long/heavy necklace, would you recommend Power Pro or Beaders Secret? Also, which color thread works better with the color of my pearls?

Thanks again!

OK, I read more discussion about stringing and I'm going to go with Beaders Secret.

What size gimp should I use? Fire Mountain Gems has quite a variety!

You will be able to use the .8mm gimp if using Pattye's Serafil thread or Beaders Secret in the regular thickness and a fine wire needle. (It fits.)

I bought the vermeil after it was recommended to me by Marianne (another member of P-G).

Maybe Pattye can recommend the color as I have not used cream or ivory. Or you could buy one packet of each color (they are not expensive) and decide which looks better against the pearls.

Last edited:
BeeBee, if I might chime in ... I am a complete beginner at stringing too. I tried to teach myself before, and always failed, till I met Pattye last year. She is incredibly helpful, full of advice, and wonderful. I found the Beaders' Secret very easy to work with. Pattye also has needles to work with the thread; I got mine from her when I got my thread. The Ivory is a light off white, and the cream is a bit deeper and a tad more yellowish, although still cream and NOT yellow. If you haven't cleaned your pearls yet, they may well change color a little in cleaning. My suggestion also would be to get a card of ivory and cream, as they are so reasonable in price :) Don't get too scared or discouraged; there's lots of help here. I started with a bracelet ... took it apart and started over about 5 times till I got it, partly due to length issues ... my next necklace of pearls and gemstone beads went quickly like a breeze! Good luck; enjoy the journey, and you'll find LOTS of help here!

wash the pearls while still strung. You need to keep them in order.
I think Pattye is selling french wire now right along with her Beaders' Secret and needles. If they are not listed send her a message. Go with the lighter thread as you want the pearls to look clean and the cream will look dark against them.
Please, no tools!
Once again, Pattye, make that instruction video! (yes I know I'm nagging m'darlin' )

How is the stringing project going BeeBee? I have a strand that needs some TLC and have to bite the bullet and get working on it. Hoping you can inspire me some. ;) I am about to order my thread and sent an email to Pattye, so I'm not quite ready yet, but getting there.

Questions for the pros:
Does the color of the thread make that big of a difference? I have two sets of pearls I want to restring... one is creamy (before washing) the other is white. I've been thinking of Ivory as an inbetween color, but wondered if getting something with pink hues would bring out the pink in my akoyas.

What is gimp made of? Is it ever 14k gold or is it an alloy? If Pattye doesn't have it, is it sold in Michael's or JoAnne's?

Thanks!

I have not seen gimp at Michaels, can't speak for JoAnn's but I doubt it.

My current source is firemountaingems.com and as you can see from this link (http://www.firemountaingems.com/search/?keywords=gimp) you can choose from an assortment of colors and materials. But no 14K gold. I have not seen 14K gimp anywhere yet.

I bought vermeil (gold plating over silver) and I like how it looks. I also bought the sterling silver gimp and so far it has not tarnished (strung a little over a month ago).

I found the .8mm was wide enough to accomodate a fine size wire needle threaded with Pattye's Serafil thread or with Beader's Secret thread (doubled.)

I personally would not use pink thread with white pearls to bring out the pink tones-- I think the thread would stand out too much-- but I have used it with pink pearls.

Last edited:
I have not seen gimp at Michaels, can't speak for JoAnn's but I doubt it.

My current source is firemountaingems.com and as you can see from this link (http://www.firemountaingems.com/search/?keywords=gimp) you can choose from an assortment of colors and materials. But no 14K gold. I have not seen 14K gimp anywhere yet.

I bought vermeil (gold plating over silver) and I like how it looks. I also bought the sterling silver gimp and so far it has not tarnished (strung a little over a month ago).

I found the .8mm was wide enough to accomodate a fine size wire needle threaded with Beader's Secret thread (doubled.)

I personally would not use pink thread with white pearls to bring out the pink tones-- I think the thread would stand out too much-- but I have used it with pink pearls.

Thanks! I was thinking more along the cream color instead of ivory for the akoyas but think the cream may be a little darker than the pearls. The cream color looks like it has a splash of pink in it, which I thought might bring out pink highlights. It sounds like I probably should stick with ivory colored thread.

One of my clasps is white gold, the other is yellow gold, so I'll have to get one of each color. Is vermeil the way to go for the gold, and ss for the white gold clasp?

Thank you so much for helping me! There is nothing worse than doing something only to find you did it wrong and have to redo it all over again. I've done it that way many times, which is why I ask so many questions.

DSC05264 crop2.jpg
The pearls I am going to restring are the three in the middle. Will one spool be long enough for all three? The top is a double stranded bracelet, the middle is 18" and the last one is about 36-40" (depends on whether I add the extra pearls) that matches the bracelet.

I would definitely go ahead with the vermeil gimp for yellow gold clasps.

For white gold or silver clasps, I tried to use non-sterling gimp (just silver tone) from artbeads.com, but was not happy with it. It was very stiff and the little coils didn't overlap nicely. That is why I switched to the sterling gimp. I suppose if someone recommends a non-sterling silver gimp that is very flexible but never tarnishes, I might switch to that, but as I have no alternative to suggest, you might want to try the sterling silver gimp too.

If I were you I would buy one little packet each of white, cream and ivory. They do not cost a lot and then you can judge the best color for each piece in person. The larger FWP pearls (between the bracelet and the necklace) look white to me, not cream.

Each one of Pattye's small thread cards holds 20 yards. That is 60 feet, or 720 inches, per card.

Here is how to figure how much thread you will need: for a single strand, I allow 5 times the finished length of the strand (this allows for the doubling of the thread, the knots, and a bit of extra loose thread for ease in manipulating it. Don't worry if there is a bit of thread left over on the needle when the piece is done-- better a bit too much than too little!)

For the 2-strand bracelet, allow twice that, or 10x the finished length of the bracelet.

If the finished length of the long necklace is 40" you should allow 5 times that, or 200 inches, for that long strand.
Assuming the 2-strand bracelet is about 8 inches, you need 10 times that, or 80 inches for the bracelet.
An 18" strand needs 90 inches of thread.

Clearly one card of thread is more than enough for all three pieces, even if you use the same color for all three.

Thank you!!! I will go with your suggestion of getting more than one color. I tend to redo things so I've got to account for errors. I've emailed Pattye on etsy and she got some gimp in and so I'm set! :D
Thanks again Pearl Dreams!

Yes, Gimp (French Wire) will soon be available on my etsy site. Thank you for requesting it. Now looking for small flat crushproof boxes at a reasonable price. :)

Thank you Pattye! Will bubble wrap work? I placed my order and am looking forward to restringing some beads with success!

Hi Amti! I finally ordered my supplies from Pattye yesterday - we'll have to keep each other posted on our progress!

Back