Peyote stitch!

Mervione

I came across some peyote stitching last year and tried it a little, but after a few weeks I stopped. Now I'm hooked again and I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there that also work with peyote stitch?

It's really funny and I get lots of compliments for everything I do.

Working on a really big thing right now but will post pictures when I'm done, tomorrow or so. Worked ten hours on it but will prob need about 5 more to finish it...

Is it hard to do? I'm registered to take a class at a nearby bead shop in August and I'm looking forward to it.

Please do post your pics when you are done - I'd love to see it!

The basic even count stitch is quite easy to do, in my opinion, the odd count is a bit harder though, but that's fairly easy as well. I taught myself from the internet and haven't really learnt anything else, only those two things and how to increase and decrease the stitch.

I think peyote stitch just takes lots and lots of time, and patience.

Just remember to pull the thread tight so the final piece will get nice and tight, your teacher is probably going to tell you this as well.

Great to see that someone else here have an interest in it. :) Let me know how you get on.

Hi Mervione,

I posted this photo last year. Peyote pearls...(not my work of art unfortunately...just bought it)...

Caitlin can do peyote weaving as well.

Attachments

• peyote.JPG
    peyote.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 37
Wow. Those will be my goal inspiration! I'd love to be able to create beautiful work such as these...

Mervione:
As usual you are my guru of happiness. I too had started peyote stitch some time ago and loved it but ended up doing something else. (That pesky homework!) After seeing your missive about it and Perlas pics I am plotting a new project. Maybe. At least thinking about it.
Thanks,
barbie

I wonder how the Ruckus is going?

Perlas:
How big are those pearls? I have some lovely lavendars that might just do the trick.
barbie

Hi Sam
I didn't realize you knew that. Yes I do do peyote stitch too. I'll try posting some pics. I have one tiny piece with me. When I remember to plug in the camera I'll put a pic up.

So I've been working with my bracelet and it's almost done but I've run out of beads! So I'll go shopping tomorrow I think... Sigh.

Does anyone know where in U.K you can get Delica beads cheap, if at all possible? They seem so expensive here, a 5 gramme package were 2,60 pounds at the local bead shop! I use Mill Hill currently but want something a bit more squareish.

hi barbie,

the seed pearls are about 2mm.

Last edited:
So I finally got around of taking some photos (Er, I scanned them actually...) of some of my work.

The first one is a bracelet that I made for my boyfriend, just for fun. It's about 2,5 inches wide and took ages to make, because I'm not used to peyote yet. The signs on it are runes and means Keith, his name. I didn't make out a pattern before I started on this, I just made it up as I were working, so it's not very good. Good practice.

The other thing is not yet finished, I'm making a really tiny bag using tubular peyote, just for learning. Tubular peyote is really funny!

They aren't great but they were fun making so I don't care.

Attachments

• bracelet.jpg
    bracelet.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 32
  • thing.jpg
    thing.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 37
So I finished the supertiny bag and took some proper pictures, here they are:

The last one is of some netting I did, first time I tried it. It's really fast!

Attachments

• DSCI0582.jpg
    DSCI0582.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCI0583.jpg
    DSCI0583.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCI0584.jpg
    DSCI0584.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCI0585.jpg
    DSCI0585.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 44
Excellent work. You have talented fingers, deft and dexterous, enough concentration, and a good eye in everything you've done. Keep it up.

Thanks Caitlin! Means a lot to me. I think that part of why I end up succeeding with my jewellery is that I'm stubborn and wont give up...

A few months ago I found out something really interesting about a relative of mine, she also loves beading! Especially with tiny beads like seed beads. I got a Christmas decoration somewhere that she made, it's gorgeous. I might take a photo of it when I arrive in Sweden again. She's a distant relative of mine, so I haven't met her yet, but I really want too! I don't really have anyone I know IRL that shares this interest with me.

Thanks for directing me to this thread, perlas! I've been fiddling with peyote stitch lately. Does anyone have any guidance for me on where to get itty bitty pearls for peyote projects?

Art Beads has a good selection and often has sales :) (www.artbeads.com) They have free shipping on orders over $25.00 and a good return policy if the seed bead package has not been opened. Right now they have a 25% off sale going on!!!
I've done peyote stitch projects off and on for many years. Really enjoyable.

Back