Pearls on silver chain necklace. What kind of pearls?

FrenchPearl

Hello,
Here is my new purchase. It was sold as vintage (60's) and it in silver. The (gritty) pearls are baroques 4 to 5 mm with a beautiful luster. white, not much overtone.
I bought this one because I liked the design and I wonder what kind of pearl it is ?
It seems not nucleated. Are those keshis ?

Warm Regards
Sophie

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 26
  • neckshot-silver-pearl.jpg
    neckshot-silver-pearl.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 25
Hi French Pearl,

They look like some kind of Chinese freshwater pearls. Don't know if they could could possibly be Japanese Biwa's. Don't have much experience with them. I think someone on the forum does though. I can't remember which thread someone posted photos of them. Probably Chinese but one can always hope. :) Nice lustre.

Good wire wrapping but hope you like the patina because you will be stuck with it. Interesting design. Like it.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

I like the look. I think they are freshwater pearls too, but in this context, they take on a look a lot of people think is a natural pearl look because of the uneven shapes, which is why I love so many designs with freshwaters. I love the look and the wiring. I have a bracelet of Cortez pearls wired just like that, that I wear a lot.

The connecting link to the two dropped pearls is pretty funky, though. Maybe put another ring in there. I often use those little self-closing and locking links for repairs like that because I can do it, without soldering, for instant results until, maybe, I actually get it fixed, lol.

Thanks Bodecia and Caitlin,
I agree they might be freshwater pearl. Chinese or not, that's the question :) They don't have the flat spots that the new CFW have... so maybe there are older Chinese freshwater from the 60's... or 80's... that was a really cheap necklace, so I could not prevent myself to buy it.
I really like the look, but they are too short.... I think what I really like (now that I think about it for a minute) is the Lariat style...
Caitlin, I adore the American freshwater necklace from kari you posted earlier today. The really cool think about discussing with you all, is that it helps me narrow down the pearls, styles, look I like ! I wore it today as a bracelet and had fun with it !

@Sheryl,
Here are pics from the clasp, fairly common... would love to know if that helps dating the piece from the 60's.... or later
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Again, thanks all !
Warm Regards
Sophie

Last edited:
I have a necklace in the same style I bought 12 years ago in Bali. I can't remember the price but it wasn't high. We bought two to use for presents but never got around to giving the other one away.

- Karin

Hi Karin,
You know, I think you are absolutely right. As soon as I saw Bali, it reminded me of some earrings I bought there and they have this similar weird wire twist..

Thanks Sheryl, you're confirming that it's probably way more recent than the 60's.

I'm keeping it as a bracelet at the moment, and now on the look out for a lariat.

Thank you all and good night
Sophie

Back