Pearl ring - would you keep it? Thoughts?

redwood66

Community member
Hi everyone! I asked on PS but thought I might get more input here.

I bought this pearl ring on ebay and it is lovely but there was some discrepancy as to blemishes. There is a return period of 14 days. I knew about the ones near the bottom from the listing and the decent pics they took. Since they were near the bottom of the setting and not so noticeable I could live with them. But when I got it I noticed there is a blemish on the side right above one of the diamonds. With the price I paid ($500), it being a nice weighty classic setting in platinum (9+g total), and the pearl pretty lovely to my eyes otherwise, would you keep it? I am torn because it is a large pearl at 12.5+mm and the price is less than comparable pre-owned especially for platinum. I guess I could always put another AAA pearl later without having to pay for a new setting. My eye does go right to the blemish if I have it facing toward me lol. And I will have to have the ring sized up one size. I don't think the seller was being misleading in the listing on purpose - maybe they missed this while inspecting for writing the listing.

Thanks for your input because I am a pearl newbie.

Listing with more pics - http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-75mm-Nat...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edit - The lady got back to me on some questions I asked regarding info on if it is actually a SS pearl. She says she bought it herself some years ago in Chicago for $2600 but has no paperwork. Would a jeweler put a FW in a platinum setting? Can you tell from the pics that it is a SS?

Thank you again!

Attachments

• DSCN1903.jpg
    DSCN1903.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1904.jpg
    DSCN1904.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN1906.jpg
    DSCN1906.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
It looks like a commercial grade SSP to me. I think the price of the ring is reasonable but you should consider whether the pearl quality, particularly the blemishes will bother you. To replace the pearl with a high quality round SSP of similar size,it will probably cost you at least as much as the ring itself, if not more.

The pearl is not round-- it's a drop, and you can see the pointy end of it in the far right small in the eBay listing photo using the zoom.
Is it glued into the setting? It must be-- there is no cup and screw to attach the pearl, and I think I see a bit of glue near the base of the pearl in the enlarged eBay photo.

I'm not sure how you would put a better SSP into that setting. Under the point of the pearl there seems to be a hole in the setting.

It is listed as a natural pearl instead of cultured, another error.

I'd send it back, personally.

Thank you both! There is glue that I can see with my loupe and now that I see what you are talking about it does appear to be a drop rather than round. Sanippy I had been checking PP for cost on a similar sized pearl which I would be ok with as long as it was beautiful. But Pearl Dreams has me thinking I might have a problem putting a round one in here. If it is a drop then it makes sense that the post would come up from the bottom and fit easier because of the shape. Having it be a drop doesn't really bother me other than the value is less for what I am getting. I did not expect to get a stunner for this price point but it was a whim purchase and I would probably not go whole hog into a custom pearl ring anyway like my other jewelry. I do like the color cast (overtone?) of this pearl in that I am not a fan of ivory or yellow tone pearls. This is more pink IRL.

Maybe what I really want to know is if you think it is worth the $500 if I like it? It makes me feel a bit better that you think it is a SS and not something else. Maybe it is a higher end mall jewelry store piece and not what pearl connoisseurs would wear.

Edit - If it is a drop then could another drop of much better quality be substituted?

Last edited:
Is it marked platinum or are you taking the seller's word for that?

I'm just thinking... maybe a mall store, a lower quality pearl glued in... why would they use platinum?
Any chance it's plated with platinum?

It is marked 950 and the weight feels platinum. I am a platinum "snob" and like it better than other metals which is mainly why I bought it. I probably would not have if it were 14 or 18k.

When you say "glued in" do you mean without a post? This appears to have a post up from the bottom when I look through my loupe. But I can see glue underneath at the bottom of the pearl also.

As far as changing the pearl I probably would not do it anytime soon.

Okay, if it's marked 950 for platinum, that's good then.

You are the one with the ring and the loupe. I'm only looking at a photo. Where is the post coming from on the setting? Isn't that a hole in the setting, under the point of the pearl?

As far as changing out the pearl for another pearl...it would have to fit the setting, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it.

Bottom line: Do you love it? Or would you rather have the $500 to put toward another pearl ring? Don't forget the cost of replacing the pearl.

You are such a dear to take the time with me. :)

I do love the setting style (totally me - simple with a bit of bling) and the pearl is lovely to me though probably not what many here would prefer as far as quality. I know so little about pearls which is why I came here to ask. I hate being taken advantage of on ebay. I don't think I care that it is a drop if changing pearls in the future is possible. I would probably not ever have another pearl ring, though pearl necklaces are another thing entirely! I want a gaggle of those thanks to Pearl-Guide!

I would take the ring to a trusted jeweler and have the ring tested to make sure it really is platinum. Anyone can stamp that on a ring shank, it doesn't make it so. If the ring tests, and the diamonds are real and the quality she posted, it more than likely is worth $500.00 just for the semi mount. One thing does seem odd though, the pearl quality seems off for a platinum ring.

I would take the ring to a trusted jeweler and have the ring tested to make sure it really is platinum. Anyone can stamp that on a ring shank, it doesn't make it so. If the ring tests, and the diamonds are real and the quality she posted, it more than likely is worth $500.00 just for the semi mount. One thing does seem odd though, the pearl quality seems off for a platinum ring.

This was my thought also. I am pretty positive it is platinum because it would not feel as hefty in my hand like this nor weigh 9+ grams on my scale if it weren't. I do have a 13.5mm FW pearl from Kojima (its pink and I love it!) with a 3/4 inch diamond bale and it only weighs 3.8 grams.

Oh and the shank is also hallmarked with the diamond ctw. 0.25

Thanks for the link to that guide! I have read it several times.

Last edited:
I just weighed my diamond platinum ring and put a 12mm pearl on the scale. Mine weighs 17 grams. I still would have it checked.

If you're not completely thrilled with it I would return it ASAP. I find that the longer I dither about returns the more I try to talk myself into things that I will later regret. :(

Okay, if it's marked 950 for platinum, that's good then.

You are the one with the ring and the loupe. I'm only looking at a photo. Where is the post coming from on the setting? Isn't that a hole in the setting, under the point of the pearl?

As far as changing out the pearl for another pearl...it would have to fit the setting, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it.

Bottom line: Do you love it? Or would you rather have the $500 to put toward another pearl ring? Don't forget the cost of replacing the pearl.

I forgot to address this question. It has an X at the bottom of a setting and looks like there is a post that rises out of the middle of the X to the bottom of the pearl.

You can kind of see it in this pic of the seller's.

pearl ring.jpg

If you're not completely thrilled with it I would return it ASAP. I find that the longer I dither about returns the more I try to talk myself into things that I will later regret. :(

You are right about that and I do it too. But I do love how it looks and of all the pearl rings I have looked at, that are the price I would spend, it is very pretty. I am just not up on pearls or whether they are any good. I love the setting.

If I were going to spend a lot more on a pearl ring it would be like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-SOUT...904659?hash=item2cb1b3b193:g:tl8AAOSwOdpXyJgz

I do love this but the setting is too over the top for me! I do not Red Carpet ever.... So pretty!

https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...shwater-pearl-and-pink-sapphire-prestige-ring

Okay, thanks I see the X. Thanks for the photo!

As long as the metal and stones check out, if you like the ring overall, then really it's just a matter of individual taste. And it's true that most SSP rings will cost more than that.

I agree completely. Especially with a ring; you don't want to have mixed feelings everytime you look at it.

Back