Pearl purchase from Shanghai

nickos

This is my first post here, so I look forward to getting some feedback! I was just in Shanghai for a conference and purchased some pearls (a necklace and matching earrings) from a pearl market store that was highly recommended by a few of my colleagues (one of their wives has a longstanding relationship with this particular jeweler). I was told that they are Tahitian and not dyed. They are all about 10mm in size, seem to be mostly round, and are moderately blemished. I have posted a few pictures and am hoping to get your opinions and expertise. I didn't spend a fortune on these, but they were considerably more expensive than the basic freshwater pearls the store was selling. I guess I'm just looking to verify that there aren't any red flags and that these look like a nice set of pearls. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Nick

DSC02006.jpg

DSC02018v2.jpg

DSC02012.jpg

It's difficult to make out the quality in the photos, although I can see a slight matching issue with the size of the pearls, and the strand is one pearl short for typical symmetry with a single pearl in the center. I can't see many of the blemishes, either. But you do have a strand of Tahitian pearls there, so you did well!

Thanks for your quick reply, Jeremy! I tried to get the best pictures possible, but it was tricky with the camera/lighting I have available. I need a good DSLR for stuff like this! I added a few new pictures, but I don't know that they are much better quality. I'm thinking about taking these to a jewelry store for an in-person appraisal.

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02049.jpg

DSC02046.jpg

DSC02031.jpg

Yes, def tahitians (or the best fakes EVER!). You can take them to a bricks and mortar jewellers but you might not get far - B &M shop assistants rarely know much about pearls.
I see what Jeremy means about the sizing arrangement being a bit off - probably arranged like that so that the colours alternate. But that is something only those few with a practised eye would spot so if it doesn't worry you then it doesn't matter. If you feel strongly you could ask Jeremy to re-string and re-arrange them and add one pearl to odd the strand.
I like they are strung on black though - so often all Chinese origin pearls are strung on white.
Without knowing what you paid or what metal the clasp is, I'd say that was a nice wearable strand of multicoloured Tahtians.

I like the sequence of colors in this necklace. My first impression was "yup, Tahitians," so I'm glad that the experts agree!

-Louise

South Sea and Tahitian pearls are subject to a 30 percent import tax in China, this makes, in general, the purchase of these pearls more expensive than in Hong Kong.

@Cees: I did not know that. Very interesting. I wasn't able to make it to Hong Kong, but the people I went shopping with were confident that the prices in China were still quite a bit lower than those here in the States. I've seen similar necklaces on blue nile and PearlParadise for around $2k. I paid quite a bit less than that for them, so I'd be happy even if they weren't worth that much.

@GemGeek: Yes, these will be a Christmas gift for my wife. I hope she likes them (and I think she will)!

By the way, thanks everyone for the comments!!

Part of that price difference might be import taxes which the companies have to pay - I have 20% VAT to pay on every pearl I bring in to the EU. (ouch). That's on loose pearls , precious metals and loose gemstones. If I brought in finished jewellery (I don't) there would be import duty as well.

Nice Job!! Lucky Wife!!! They are lovely!

Cheers!

Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know how my wife reacts when she gets them. ;-)

South Sea and Tahitian pearls are subject to a 30 percent import tax in China, this makes, in general, the purchase of these pearls more expensive than in Hong Kong.
I thought the import tax was lifted a couple of years ago for Tahitians ?

That's quite a find Nick

how did they go down.....

do tell !! :)

Back