Where to buy freshwater pearls and freshwater pearl quality

What is used to coat pearls if I may ask?
Coatings have varied over time...used to be beeswax, later some lacquers. According to Strack, the most common are "transparent polymer film"

fireball freshwater pearl exhibiting chalky spot

I received this baroque where the shiny part of the pearl fades quite abruptly, as can be seen around the top edge. Is this a likely example of coating?

View attachment 464465

I received this baroque where the shiny part of the pearl fades quite abruptly, as can be seen around the top edge. Is this a likely example of coating?
No. That's what I believe a "chalky area", a part where nacre is not deposited well...the mantle of the pearl sac could have deposited calcite instead of aragonite. The Expert in this field (inner working of the mantle) is Dave @Lagoon Island Pearls
I have many freshwater pearls that display this kind of defect.

That's what I believe a "chalky area", a part where nacre is not deposited well...the mantle of the pearl sac could have deposited calcite instead of aragonite.
Correct. Calcite, though not attractive in the same way aragonitic nacre may be, is very important in the early development of molluscs. While calcite is the bane of cultured pearl production, in nature it's important in juvenile and mature to over-mature individuals to maintain shell thickness and strength.

Fireball pearls are generally mature pearls, hence it's not unreasonable to occasionally find calcitic patches.

Sometimes these layers can be peeled away, but it's not with out risk of damaging the underlying surface.

Correct. Calcite, though not attractive in the same way aragonitic nacre may be, is very important in the early development of molluscs. While calcite is the bane of cultured pearl production, in nature it's important in juvenile and mature to over-mature individuals to maintain shell thickness and strength.

Fireball pearls are generally mature pearls, hence it's not unreasonable to occasionally find calcitic patches.

Sometimes these layers can be peeled away, but it's not with out risk of damaging the underlying surface.
Thanks Dave! Your input is always valuable and appreciated (y) :arms:

Does anyone know what kind of freshwater pearl these are? They’re off-round with a mainly copper body colour but are multicoloured… very interesting in my opinion

IMG_0113.jpeg

Back