Pearl Natural ?The Pacific Lion?s Paw?

edrodrivaz

Collector of Pearls
The Mano de Leon (Scallop pearls)

Attachments

• 2012-11-19_15-29-23_585.jpg
    2012-11-19_15-29-23_585.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 27
This pearl's foliated aragonite presents as it's structure suggests, like autumn leaves.

Very nice piece, thank you for sharing it with us.

You do the world a service by posting photos from your collection here, as a resource for others. You are the actual collector and know what you have and are pretty much realistic in your prices. I think serious collector who is interested in one of these pearls for themselves,should click on through to his website and contact him.

I just love the look of these pearls...I wish I could try my hand at growing them as cultured pearls. What do you think about this? Would there be any interest?

I just love the look of these pearls...I wish I could try my hand at growing them as cultured pearls. What do you think about this? Would there be any interest?

I continue experimentation with Pectinidae, mainly because of the lack of regionally ranged Pterioids (although Mytilidae remain a priority). Scallops range to all corners of our oceans, but are not necessarily easy to harvest in suitable volumes, afterall many of the species are abyssal in nature. The larger, commercially available scallops (ie) Weathervane (Patinopecten caurinus) and Digby (Placopecten magellanicus) are included in a paper I'm currently writing, which implicates sand as a root cause of extrapalial pearls. (not necessarily as a single factor).

While natural pearls from either of these species are common, I'm still actively seeking pearls from Pink and Spiny scallops (Chlamys rubida and hastada). Likewise from Vancouver scallops (Delectopecten vancouverensis). Owing to their small size and scattered distribution, these species are exceedingly difficult to work with.

Lion's Paws (Lyropectin nodosus) range in Mexico and are probably the better candidate for pearl culture experimentaion. The have a high incidence of natural pearls and their distinctive brown color over a white bead would likely yield an attractive golden pearl. If anything, I would start with mabes, while attempting to develop a technique for grafting round pearls.

Thanks for the comments.

Measures and weight of this pearl (11.55 x 11.09 x 9.72 mm - 2.1g - 10ct)

I do have to go up and visit with Dave!

Just to clarify, my understanding is that Pectinidae inner shell microstructure is foliated calcite (vs. foliated aragonite, thus far only confirmed in Monoplacophora). Also, did I read something about sand being the root cause of pearls? Anything to add to this thread?

Just to clarify, my understanding is that Pectinidae inner shell microstructure is foliated calcite (vs. foliated aragonite, thus far only confirmed in Monoplacophora).

Forgive my fractured science, that would be my understanding too, where calcite forms in spiral patterns within a matrix of aragonite. The structure gives these pearls clarity with great depth between the leaves.

Also, did I read something about sand being the root cause of pearls? Anything to add to this thread?

I'm back at Clayoquot today (and for the holidays) and have some weathervane scallops, barnacles, turban snails and mussels there, with sandy blisters. I'll post a collection of pics. Most Pectinidae around here often have something stuck to the inner surface.

Intitally, I set out to help debunk the grain of sand thing by destroying a lot of natural pearls. Can't bring myself to it. Started looking closer at species that are heavily exposed to shifting sand. I also have a few loose pearls, harvested in close proximity to blisters and relatively the same growth. I sent some cut shells to a lab for polarography, but the cutting tool contaminated the samples. This time around I'm going to crush two or three and use acids.

Anything lodged in between the mantle and shell can be biomineralized in place, but rarely (and I emphasize, really rarely) these can become dislodged and form loose pearls. This experiment only applies to narrow margin of naturally formed extrapallial pearls.

I stand by Douglas' demonstration. Modern pearling as we know it is in complete absence of grains of sand as nuclei and the incidence in naturals is one in thousands.

Back