Pearl Farm Safari?

There are a number of us who are very interested, Jacques. Is there a particular time of year that is preferable in terms of weather, etc? This would be a bit of an undertaking to coordinate, but I'd be happy to be involved. Thinking perhaps late spring or summer of 2012...

Sheri

This really looks like it's beginning to take shape. I have not doubt that the ruckus part will be great, but I hope that after traveling so far, all of us will able to see the farm at work. Jacques's explanations of the ecological orientation are so interesting, I'd love to see it in operation. BTW, it might not be a good idea to plan the ruckus during the rainy season (June through September, isn't it) when there is no harvesting. We are interested in pearls after all, aren't we Sheri?

Jacques, it's your call. What do you think about the timing?

You have a very good point, Nora - we would definitely want to try to schedule a trip when we could observe the harvest.

The dry season would be more pleasant all around, and is generally better for scuba diving (an added incentive for me to want to make the trip, as if pearls alone weren't enough!!!).

Jacques, we eagerly await further information!

Sheri

Following with interest (especially if this ends up being Ruckus 2012, as I sadly missed 2011). As this is prime Nautilus grounds, perhaps a little trapping expedition with a local fisherman could be thrown in one night?

Coincidentally, very fortunate 'bad' timing last week resulted in missing THIS fantasy opportunity in the area by a matter of days. The listing includes a good description of Palawan, also the location of Flower Island.

It is great to see so much interest! My suggestion would probably be around March 2012. This date would be good also because it is around the same time as the Hong Kong fair. Therefore people can take advantage of the trip by not only seeing the pearl farms, but also the Hong Kong Jewellery fair. How does this date sound?

I would love to take this trip but March 2012 is not good for me. We are going to implement new system. Paralelling & testing are scheduled for March & April next year. :(

I am not familiar with Hong Kong show. I googled and found this http://exhibitions.jewellerynetasia.com/exhibitions/default.asp?siteid=18&lang=1 . Is this the show you are talking about? It has been moved to February, earlier than usual.

Last edited:
Thanks Nerida. If it's February to coincide with that jewelry show you linked to, my chance of making it to Flower Island is greater than Mar & Apr.

Whew....glad we're thinking about this NOW, as my schedule early next year is already getting jammed. I'd hate to miss the opportunity for a combined HK show/Macau bungee jump/Flower Island ruckus!!! I see that the HK show is February 16-20. I also see that that is supposed to be a nice time of year to visit the Philippines in terms of climate. I'm IN, but I would need to be able to confirm the dates a.s.a.p., as some other tentative plans would have to be changed. Would the Flower Island extension happen before or after the shopping orgy?

If this is going to happen in 2012, can we please try to pin down the timing soon??? Hoping it works out!!!

Jeremy, if you're following this thread, do you suppose you might be able to give interested parties some idea of the anticipated cost? Not including HK shopping allowance, of course... Having done the trip, I know you'd be much more knowledgeable than us neophytes... ;o)

Sheri

Yes, I'm here. I'll follow up with Jacques about everything. As for costs, a lot of that will depend on Jewelmer in The Philippines. I do think adding Hong Kong to the same ruckus could add a heavy cost onto it for some people. What I might try to do is figure out an approximate cost for one and for both.

Yes, I'm here. I'll follow up with Jacques about everything. As for costs, a lot of that will depend on Jewelmer in The Philippines. I do think adding Hong Kong to the same ruckus could add a heavy cost onto it for some people. What I might try to do is figure out an approximate cost for one and for both.

I concur. I've been googling and found people's posts of their trip to Flower Island via GIA or something else. It seems the stay is about 3 days to accommodate visiting the pearl farm. Not adding HK to cut cost sounds practical, but traveling long haul to Asia with 3 days stay isn't as practical either. Hope to hear the details soon.

If Jewelmer *hosts* the ruckus, it might be relatively inexpensive for the Palawan side. Three days is enough to see the farm and get a good overview of what life on a South Sea pearl farm is like, and to see what Jewelmer is doing with and for the community. Hong Kong would be a separate set of tickets and hotels are $2-$400 per night (unless we were able to find a really great group rate at a good hotel). I will do some digging, but off the top of my head, HK could add a couple thousand dollars to the cost of the trip at least.

...if you have the opportunity to go you should not miss it. It isn't just another destination. It is truly unique and beautiful. The people are warm and genuine. If you love pearls and pearling life, and if you have the means you should not miss this...

On that advice, this is what I keep telling myself.

HK is not something I need to do immediately and will happily forgo that part, but a Flower Island P-G Ruckus is overwhelmingly alluring. I hope it's not beyond the budget and means of a fledgling pearl farmer.

I noticed on the website, there are four options for travelling there from Manila, I'm curious which ones are more or less desirable in time and cost.

We wouldn't plan on HK, but are thinking of continuing on our own to Australia and NZ.

I am still very interested and February is a great time of the year for the Philippines.
Got one new Peso 1000 note already, beautiful note with a Pinctada Maxima oyster with a pearl on it, BDO bank had only one, last week.
Need more of these notes to be able to join this trip hahahaha

Nerida, as we say in the Middle East "Inshalla".

Isn't it amazing how the forum provides opportunities for friendships?

Hmmmm....sounds like we're coming up with a nice little core group of prospective ruckus-ers! Any chance we can settle on a date? We'll need Jewelmer's input on this, of course... Sounds like the days following the HK show might work best, whether or not people intend to go to the show. I know it seems like a long way off at this point, but February will be here before we know it!!!

Sheri

Back