pearl diving research - need help!

beccalecca

My name is Rebecca. I am a Graphic Design student from Wisconsin. I am currently working on a package design project that involves designing an instructional or teaching tool with the hobby of pearl diving.

I understand it is an ancient art, pretty much dying out due to modernization. But the subject matter is pretty much open to interpretation, so I can look at it from any aspect whether ancient or modern.

My question for you is if you could provide me with any insight on pearl diving, historically, or even how you view the modern method we use now of pearl farms.

I am having a very hard time finding books on the subject of pearl diving, and our professor really wants to focus on primary research (interviews, videos, photos, anything original we create). Plus being a poor college student I don't have lots of money to spend on books. My library has nothing here on the subject! I can find lots of internet sources including pearl guide obviously, so I was wondering if you could help me out, or point me to some other people in the industry who would know more about it and willing to be interviewed.

Other than that, if you can think of anything people commonly misunderstand about pearls, or pearl diving? Then I could create something to teach people the right thing. Maybe I could teach people about different kinds of pearls, or how modern pearl farming works?

Any help is welcome!!! Thanks.

There are a couple of articles from Aramco's magazine about Persian Gulf pearl diving on this board. Try searching Persian pearls divers to get to them. Or go to Aramco's magazine website and search for pearls.

Good luck and please keep us up to date on your quest.

You Will Have to read Kunz online. The Dover issues, originally $26.00 are now reselling @ $100, at least.

Elisabeth Strack's "Pearls" is a textbook on pearls and usually costs around $130 including postage. It is hard to find, so read the Books and Resources thread on it for the latest.

You can also search the web using Google etc.. for pearls + diving or other combinations and find all manner of information such as this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-pearls-of-bahrain/article452048/

Of course it might not all be accurate, but it can help. On the subject of the Middle East you may also try contacting the Bahrain National Museum, Qatar Museum and of course National Bank of Dubai Pearl Museum for their assistance. The latter has a good website here:

http://www.nbd.ae/NBD/NBD_CDA/CDA_Web_pages/Pearl_Museum/Pearl_Museum_homepage/

Hope that helps.

If it doesn't have to be old style pearl diving you might be able to get a decent research project out of the Tahitian pearl farmers like Josh. (Of course there is no one like Josh!) But if you read his blogs you will see that he dives every day to pull up the oysters, does whatever they need and then dives back in and returns them to the lagoon. Try emailing him and see what he says. Or start by listening to the Kamoka blog. It's pretty cool. And ecologically sound. I've been wanting to do an article like this for some time now. What makes an industry turn green?
barbie

On the subject of old pearl diving I can recommend a book, you could try via Amazon.com or maybe Biblio.com.

The title: Sons of Sinbad the great tradition of Arab Seamanship in the Indian Ocean)
Author: Allan Villiers
Publisher: Charles Scribner?s Sons, New York
My edition is from 1960. However, there is no ISDN-number

This book is very interesting, much fun to read and it also tells about pearl diving in detail. Good luck and let us know if you find it!:)

Just a reminder that a college student would be able to get any books or articles through their library (I assume that there is interloan in the usa as with libraries here)

Ah, I have an historical novel at home called (I think) the White Divers of Broome... it is about a tragic attempt to introduce Brits to the diving fraternity in Broome.... I will dig out the details when I get back to Oz. Very interesting, and loads of historical information about the development of the pearling industry in Western Australia.

Hi Nerida,
thanks for reminding me of it, I had it on my wishlist for a long time and eventually I forgot about it but now I will try to get it to make my "pearl library" more complete!

White Divers of Broome

There is a single copy at Amazon--for $126.

I found the paperback at Amazon for $25. LINK

new p-back around $36.00

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great information!

Unfortunately the life of a graphic designer is a hurried one. I have to pitch my research to the class tomorrow, and also give them an idea of what kind of instructional tool I will be creating.

So after looking over some of your suggestions and sorting through research, I have decided to focus on the different methods of pearl diving—natural, cultured, or fake. There is simply WAY too much information on pearls and pearl diving, so part of the job of the graphic designer is to sort through it all. Then pick out what is important to your project and what is not.

I came up with the question, "Are Grandma's Pearls real?" because I thought that would be a common connection with women. Every Graphic Design project always has an audience whether it's general or specific. Women often inherit pearl jewelry from their mothers, grandmothers, aunts, etc. and have no idea what kind of pearl it is or even if it is real or synthetic.

This will be an instructional kit, or guide that will talk a little bit about the history of pearl diving and how it evolved from natural to cultured pearls. The kit will help women determine what characteristics to look for—things like shape, texture, color, weight, appearance, etc. to help them determine if the pearl is real. These would be simple tests that wouldn't involve x-rays, or UV tests, but things like the "teeth test" (rubbing the pearl against your teeth). Things a common women could find out and do herself. The kit could have a magnifying glass, tweezers, etc.

I am thinking this would be a novelty kit, maybe something you find in a jewelry store, gift shop, fancy boutique, etc.

So if anyone has any tidbits to help me with this new focused topic, please share! The hard part is I have to take all of the photos, create the illustrations etc. and it's not l like I have pearl farms, or access to tons of pearls at my leisure (I'm in the midwest). I am thinking thrift store shopping, and borrowing from friends and family.

Man the life of designer is hectic, so much to do so little time!

Last edited:
Back