Paspaley e-boutique

Quality WSS pearls are relatively rare. Keeping a high standard of production is not cheap. If all the cars in the world were Chevrolet's noone could dream of owning a Porsche. Attaining a SS pearl piece is goal of achievement in the search and passion for pearl perfection that means more then just owning a high value piece. In most any product you have the functional and the sought after. You can wear a diamond or a Cubic zirconia. You may fool people about what you are wearing but you will know when you are wearing the original and I think someone should pay a price for that difference. It means something. When you own something of that quality and that was created without cutting any corners you understand you have the best and you feel the difference. But hey, that's just my take on it. I hardly ever wear one myself. I could wear a citizen or a rolex. They both tell time but only one is timeless. Oh geeez I should write a commercial.

Now lets get back to those jerks at APPLE. Who do they think they are?

They have taken all the risks every farmer has faced and have come out in a very good place do to a lot of very good decisions. I say give them the credit they are due. If I ran the company would I do a couple of things different? Probably. But how many of us would have made all the right decisions that have put them in the place they are, and how easy is it to look at a successful company from the outside and second guess them?

Well put Mike. Any maritime operation, by virtue of itself have operating costs far in excess of most other land based industries. Most pearl farms are in remote areas, far from food, fuel, equipment and communication. Boats, floats and inventories face ongoing perils from sea conditions, weather, piracy, predators and diseases. Most inventories are uninsurable for these reasons, hence the reward at the end of the day should be reflected in the company's bottom line.

Paspaley has done well to provide first rate transportation, housing and working conditions for it's employees under strict occupational health and worker standards. That's more than I can say for farms in other parts of the world.

There simply are not enough small pearl farmers in the world to fullfill personalized service to most consumers and Paspaley has played a huge role in "rounding out" the market to provide supply to the demand.

One last thing on Paspaley's, I'm sure glad I don't have their monthly operating costs.

Amen to that. In a time when "less is more", I'm sure Paspaley is faced with this reality every day and I don't envy them one bit for that very reason. Meanwhile, I'm content to ride the school boat to and from the farm if it means keeping costs down. I don't think I need a Grumman flying boat quite yet.

There really aren't too many other producers of quality SS pearls. A very large proportion of white South Sea pearls on the market are Paspaley pearls sold as Paspaley pearls, or are Paspaley pearls sold unbranded. The latter are not necessarily lower quality, just that Pas doesn't sell all their pearls directly, but auctions them to other wholesalers. Largely these pearls are sold unbranded. I would think that many of our favorite pearl vendors buy through these channels.

While I would not declare a Paspaley pearl a diamond compared to a Jewelmer pearl as cubic zirconia; nor think that Jewelmer can't produce top quality SS pearls, nor that another outfit could not, either, nor that the world would not have quality pearls without Paspaley. I realize my opinion ruffles the feathers, which it was not meant to do.

No one needs to defend Paspaley! Or Mikimoto. They are what they are and one can like it or not. It pleases me to not like their puffed up branding, regardless of their quality and not all their pearls are the same quality. They vary from Porsche to Chevy in every season, with the Porsches being far more rare than the Chevys.

But if we were going to do "what if Paspaley" didn't use the sales techniques they used, speculations... Suppose no one stole Saville-Kent's techniques and patented them? If not, perhaps Australia would have been home to the world's first line of cultured pearls and not Japan. Perhaps Australia would now be the only word when it comes to pearls. But it didn't happen that way, so why speculate?

Now, what is wrong with Apple? I haven't bought from them, either. I can tell you what I don't like about Windows, though.

I am just guessing that people like Jeremy can't source Paspaley pearls for their own businesses at a decent price point

We actually have done business with Paspaley, but we aren't allowed to call the pearls Paspaley pearls because they come from their wholesale division. Only pearls sold in Paspaley stores can be called "Paspaley," according to the company.

That Kallis site is wonderful - they have some absolutely drop-dead gorgeous stuff there, a mixture of lovely pearls and design that really appeals to me. Really stylish, quite understated, with fascinating shapes and movement.

This, for example, is lovely:

Angelic+Bangle+Blanc.jpg

and this swirls very beautifully indeed:

Comet+Lariat+WG+SA.jpg

There really aren't too many other producers of quality SS pearls. A very large proportion of white South Sea pearls on the market are Paspaley pearls sold as Paspaley pearls, or are Paspaley pearls sold unbranded. The latter are not necessarily lower quality, just that Pas doesn't sell all their pearls directly, but auctions them to other wholesalers. Largely these pearls are sold unbranded. I would think that many of our favorite pearl vendors buy through these channels.

Okay. Any idea what proportion don't make the Paspaley grade? They do sell at auctions? Do buyer know? Or when that happens, no one ever knows they were once Paspaley pearls? They can't possibly sell their unbranded pearls at the same prices as their branded ones. It is the puffery of the brand not the quality of the pearls or the worker's middle class life styles that they support, I have mentioned, yet I feel you are saying I am wrong to have that opinion, or something.

All you defenders, you go buy their "branded" pearls. Put your money where your mouth is. I personally do not want to overpay because of the elite branding. That is the only point I care to make, here.

We actually have done business with Paspaley, but we aren't allowed to call the pearls Paspaley pearls because they come from their wholesale division. Only pearls sold in Paspaley stores can be called "Paspaley," according to the company.

So. When Paspaley-raised pearls are not Paspaley-branded pearls, they can be auctioned off on their own merits. The brand name is only for the retail cut. When they are not Paspaley branded, do they cost about the same as other wholesale SS pearls? Or far more?

I should have said - the prices for the pieces above are WAAAAY over my budget. I was commenting purely on the design. Like Caitlin, I see no personal benefit in a "branded" pearl, just whether I like it or not, and can afford it or otherwise!

Okay. Any idea what proportion don't make the Paspaley grade? They do sell at auctions? Do buyer know? Or when that happens, no one ever knows they were once Paspaley pearls? They can't possibly sell their unbranded pearls at the same prices as their branded ones. It is the puffery of the brand not the quality of the pearls or the worker's middle class life styles that they support, I have mentioned, yet I feel you are saying I am wrong to have that opinion, or something.

Hi Caitlin, No, you are not wrong to have that opinion. I think Jeremy's post below answers some of your questions here. Yes, sold at auctions, and yes the buyers know. I don't buy the volume of pearls that buying at auction necessitates, so I can't comment on prices. It is not a lesser quality that is sold at auction - I am sure that you would find pearls there equal to those sold in Pas boutiques.

I am not saying you are wrong in your opinion - just that marketing is an essential part of any industry, and that the entire pearl industry owes much to the fact that Paspaley have lifted the image of pearls everywhere - not just in Paspaley boutiques! I think the R&D that we are seeing come out of China for the FW is even in part due to the image and prestige of the pearl being enhanced by the marketing techniques employed by Paspaley and others.

Personally, no, I am not going to buy Paspaley pearls for my own use, but Paspaley has taught my customers the value of SS pearls and make the ones I sell to them both covetable and value for money. Thing is, you and I don't have to pay for an over branded product, but in my opinion the fact that many people do makes the pearl world a better place for both pearl vendors and consumers.

Last edited:
That Kallis site is wonderful - they have some absolutely drop-dead gorgeous stuff there, a mixture of lovely pearls and design that really appeals to me. Really stylish, quite understated, with fascinating shapes and movement.

This, for example, is lovely:

Angelic+Bangle+Blanc.jpg

and this swirls very beautifully indeed:

Comet+Lariat+WG+SA.jpg

Kailis have great designs, don't they? The quality of their metalwork is pretty amazing, too.

Nicely said. Now, all those like me, who do not wish to pay the premium for the "brands", can buy from such as you! Which is the preference I seem to be stating anyway. And, it is even possible that I could get at least a few Paspaley-grown pearls, despite my avoidance of the brand name.

Kailis have great designs, don't they? The quality of their metalwork is pretty amazing, too.

It looks pretty good quality, certainly. Still a teeny-weeny bit much in ? for me, though!

Amanda

Nicely said. Now, all those like me, who do not wish to pay the premium for the "brands", can buy from such as you! Which is the preference I seem to be stating anyway. And, it is even possible that I could get at least a few Paspaley-grown pearls, despite my avoidance of the brand name.

Perfect outcome, don't you think?

Followed the thread with great interest.
A few year ago Jeremy let me pick out a perfect 16 mm. SSP:

Black&WhiteAkoyas

It's Australian, it's beautiful and I love it.
(and yes, I know that there is a difference in colors ;) )

Last edited:
Thank you Perlinda, just adited my post. The pearl is 16 mm.

Nora - now that is a PEARL

Favoloso, Nora

Magnifico, Jeremy

Nora, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your pearl. Is it an enhancer bale?

Back