Parents' Folly:

BAS

I just spoke with my elderly mother who reported the following three-way telephone conversation between her, my father, and his sister:

Mother to Aunt: BAS will be visiting you in LA.

Aunt: When?

Mother: In June or July.

Aunt: Why will she be in LA?

Mother: She is going to some pearl event.

Aunt: What event?

Mother: Pearl event.

Aunt: What event?

Mother: Pearl.

Aunt: Can you spell that?

Mother: P-E-A-R-L

Aunt: Why?

Father: She has been wearing large misshapen plastic beads lately.

Mother: Those are pearls.

Father: They can't be. Pearls don't look like that.

And so the conversation went. Gotta love the rents!

Last edited:
BAS, so glad your mother thought this was funny enough to report to you! And to your father, of course the reason you love the pearls that you wear is because they don't look like little round white beads.

I would never have dreamed my father thought I was wearing plastic baubles. But I guess I can see why he thinks that. Here are today's "large misshapen plastic beads", aka double souffle necklace with souffle/blue akoya earrings:

PP Double souffle and souffle akoya earrings.jpg

PP souffle and blue akoya earring with double souffle necklace.jpg

PP Double Souffle close-up.jpg

Attachments

• PP double souffle necklace.jpg
    PP double souffle necklace.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I wish I had your souffl? and akoya pearls, BAS.

But I hear you. My husband said the same thing when I bought my first grey pearls. And each time I wear my ripples to work, my boss clucks and tells me: "I don't like your corrugated pearls."

BAS, this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time ! So many people here can relate.

GemGeek -- I threw in the pearl photos because a) What's a pearl forum post without pictures of pearls? I'll tell you what. Boring! b) Looking at these pearls through my father's eyes, I can see how he would think they're bizarre, large, misshapen, plastic beads.

If you wanna have some real fun with your dad, show him the price tags :)

- Karin

While clearly I know nothing of your relationship I would have a big problem with a boss who thought it was okay to repeatedly make cheap jibes about something I wore. If a real problem then say so, if not then be quiet and don't be so bully/personal

KarinK -- I am keeping cost completely out of the conversation, for the sake of everyone's emotional and physical health!

While clearly I know nothing of your relationship I would have a big problem with a boss who thought it was okay to repeatedly make cheap jibes about something I wore. If a real problem then say so, if not then be quiet and don't be so bully/personal
I was initially taken aback, but it's a taste issue and not a problem. I do get back at her in other ways :rolleyes:

KarinK -- I am keeping cost completely out of the conversation, for the sake of everyone's emotional and physical health!

Most of all your own, I would think :) No need to escalate...

- Karin

What is my poor sweet Daddy going to think of this? I don't think his brain can wrap around the fact that this is a pearl:

PP fireball 1.jpg

That will definitely take him back a step or two lol! That is GORGEOUS- the shape reminds me of one of those goldfish with the large, wispy tails...

BAS Fortunately I know that you wear your pearls for you and nobody else and love the fact that you can laugh at your parents conversation. You have a most fantastic collection and I too enjoy all of your inspiring neck shots!

So I went to visit my parents over the Memorial Day weekend.

I wore my 26" PP 9 mm to 9.5 mm hanadama strand. My father was satisfied and pleased. Yes! These were real pearls!

PP hanadama May 2014 1.jpg

I had brought a few other pearls to explain the types of pearls now available.

This left him perplexed, at best:

PP fireball 2014 pendant final shot.jpg

This almost didn't register for him at all, though I did notice my mother looking at the strand more closely:

Fig necklace and earrings.jpg

This glorious strand of super souffles downright upset him. He simply couldn't understand the appeal of these organic, cloud-like shapes:

Hisano Super Strand.jpg

This triple made him happy. White and round. Yes, these are pearls!

metallic white triple strand.jpg

Then I let him choose which strand I should wear to our lobster dinner. My mother surprised me by wearing her only pearl necklace. She bought it in Hong Kong in 1967 for $30 from Rio Pearl. To this day, Rio sends them mailings!

Me and Mommy wearing our pearls May 25, 2014.jpg

To my surprise, my mother allowed me to post a neck shot of her wearing her pearls.

Mommy's pearl necklace 1967 for $30.jpg

Great continuation of the story and great neck shots. Love the leather jacket with a triple-strand. Someday I will have both and will copy you! :)

Back