Osmena or Sea of COrtez

Hi Cliclasp,

I vote for Osmena, have some, can't imagine even mabes in that size!!!!
Definitely osmena color, hey, I love them! Great pearly color, however donno about the price. My set is by Gunn Trigere, you can see them on her website, if you are interested. With apologizes that I still can't use my camera well enough to post photos here, but soon----;)

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Shape, color, size, texture say osmena... I would have had no doubt at all based on the pictures only. Besides, the rather rough work on the settings point in the same direction too.

On the other side, I am almost sorry these osmena things are not more ubiquitous: the objects themselves seem awfully nice. A tad large for cuff links though, don't you think? :eek:

Hello ClICLASP,

There are many different kinds of osmena, but this pair look like the most common type.

Slraep

In reading about osmena, I found they are cut from nautilus shell, and when they are sold before being made into jewelry, they are graded. So there are very different qualities available.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Absolutely osmena or "nautilus pearls" - they are pretty but not a true pearl.

What a shock that someone who puts up 3 pictures of their dogs in the auction would be unprofessional enough to not properly identify the product they are selling :confused:

Last edited:
Fraud, fraud, fraud... more and more people are trying to cheat other people into buying their stuff by whatever means possible. As everyone else has identified the item, it is a Nautilus shell derivate known as Osme?a. These can be purchased locally (in Guaymas) with the street vendors for some $120 pesos or... $12 USD. So the price is just a little higher for Osme?a earrings.

If they were true Cortez Mabe Pearls they would not have that oval shape and the colors would appear everywhere...and a pair (earrings) of these pearls (set in 0.925 silver, the same design) sells for $130 USD at our Store...

Just couldn't resist adding a photo--
IMGP1103_resize.jpg

Not what I should be doing this pm!! I'm supposed to be cleaning the bead room, but instead I'm playing------
The osmena jewelry is by Gunn Trigere, in sterling. I got it some years back. Shown for color comparison with natural silver blue akoya strands.

Last edited:
I just compared my own Osmena "pearl" jewelry which is the silver blue color with the natural silver blue Akoyas, very complimentary colors!
Thanks for the great photo, they are indeed beautiful and complimentary. And with all the conjecture on actual Nautilus pearls taking place over in Natural Pearls, Nautilus/Osmena/Mab?s have gained enhanced intrigue value with this forum member. I will be on the lookout for a piece like Pattye's!

Last edited:
Just couldn't resist adding a photo--
View attachment 6723

Not what I should be doing this pm!! I'm supposed to be cleaning the bead room, but instead I'm playing------
The osmena jewelry is by Gunn Trigere, in sterling. I got it some years back.

Pattye, does Gunn Trigere have a web-site or other address? I really like their mountings, so far I only have a Osmena pendant but I love your necklace.....

Pattye, does Gunn Trigere have a web-site or other address? I really like their mountings, so far I only have a Osmena pendant but I love your necklace.....

Unfortunatly, last time I applied to them, they did never reply...

I have saved the link by the past, when I tried to order from, it looks that it is no longer in use ...
http://www.gunntrigere.com/

Pattye - What gorgeous jewelry! I love those settings. Perfect balance of form and weight in my opinion.

There is an unmounted Osmena "pearl" up for auction that caught my eye. LINK

It ends on Oct 3 at appx 19h Pacific time. I've included a couple photos from the listing so that we can look after the auction closes:

Attachments

• osmena-1.jpg
    osmena-1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 44
  • osmena-2.jpg
    osmena-2.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 45
I sure do agree about Agustus Collection. I've never purchased from them but I've definitely drooled and come very close to pulling the ol' card out. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase anything from them.

Back