Opinions Wanted on This Japanese Pearl Necklace

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
Hi All,

Would love to get opinions on this Vintage Japanese Pearl necklace. The pearl in the 14k clasp looks like a keshi pearl to me and the stick pearls have me wondering exactly what they are. Possibly Biwa?? I don't know the sizes of the pearls, yet. Will try to get them. They are supposed to be between 20 to 40 years old. They do appear to have a great lustre.

Bo

Attachments

• Japanese pearl necklace.jpg
    Japanese pearl necklace.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 33
Hi Bo,
Those do look very interesting. Is it a 3 strand? That would give a person lots of pearls to use if reworking the necklace. Are you seriously thinking of picking it up?
Pattye

Hi Pattye,

Yes, I am serious about it. Just appeals to me. And yes, it is a 3 strand. I also considered possibly reworking it depending on the pearls and the overall appeal of it in the flesh. Do you have any opinions on what the pearls are?

Bo

Hi Bo,

I would just go by the quality of the pearls vs cost. A lot of the true Biwa pearls were colored. It is very hard to guess from that photo and without knowing the size of the pearls. I went back to the Strack book to look at photos, but the ones she shows are not that shape. The few Biwas I have seen and the one I owned were like thick stick pearls, wrinkly, but not circled like those appear. Sorry I cant be of more help. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Pattye

I would just go by the quality of the pearls vs cost. A lot of the true Biwa pearls were colored. It is very hard to guess from that photo and without knowing the size of the pearls. I went back to the Strack book to look at photos, but the ones she shows are not that shape. The few Biwas I have seen and the one I owned were like thick stick pearls, wrinkly, but not circled like those appear. Sorry I cant be of more help. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Hi Pattye and All,

I will do that. Just go by the quality of the pearls themselves. I even have the feeling now that they are probably Chinese as the ebayer who is selling them all from the supposed Vintage Japanese collection has CFWPs which she/he states are Japanese. Probably doesn't really know and could have been misled by the people that sold to her/him. The others aren't bad but just run of the mill and over-priced whereas these really caught my eye. I did buy them regardless and will let you know when I get them. Might be 2 or 3 weeks though as it takes that long for items to arrive sometimes.

Thanks, Bo

Back