New Freshwaters

Like the pearls but have to say I don't like the name

+1

The pearls are beautiful and delicate, I would hope for a name that reflects that. I would certainly love to wear a strand!

I still wonder about their hardiness given the hollow core........

HK show

HK show

Hi Nerida, I was just at the HK show from Friday to Tuesday. I did see some pearls that fit the description, not too much fuss being made over them, but with so many pearls there I guess that would be expected. I asked the lady what she referred to them as, she just said Keshi, they were very light in weight and multicolor, no pondslime though, very good luster. I don't remember the price she quoted me, I didn't buy any. I only bought a few freshwaters, I was shocked at the price for the larger mostly round freshwaters, I didn't buy any of those either, for a little more you could purchase nice SS. The gem quality flameball were also very high priced.

Darla

I only bought a few freshwaters, I was shocked at the price for the larger mostly round freshwaters, I didn't buy any of those either, for a little more you could purchase nice SS.

Darla

How large are they? Almost the same price as round SS? TIA.

HK show

HK show

Hi Hanaleimom,

The largest near round FW I saw were 13-14mm, ok luster, not great. The flameballs were larger, much larger, very smooth, good luster, but my customers wouldn't go anywhere near their prices. I would have loved to taken photos, but not allowed. It was an unbelievable place.
My neck got so sore from hunching down over pearls all day, I had to teach my husband to sort so he could help me. The other thing that amazed me was the people sitting at tables sorting through small freshwater single pearls. And that is what I saw most of was buyers looking for specific individual pearls. I was also surprised that I met no one from the states there. Mostly eastern Europeans and Australians. It was quiet an experience since I have never been out of the US before.
I wish the weather had been nicer, I couldn't really grasp the whole city for the low clouds and mist.
Darla

Hi Darla - I wish I had posted on the forum that I was going to be there... I would have loved to show you around Hong Kong. It is a fabulous city!

Many, many western Europeans as well - Italians, Germans etc were everywhere. I guess I was going just to try to see all of my favourite vendors in one day - I had just had a hugely successful trade show in Sydney the weekend before, and made a last minute decision to nip over for the Show.

I bought several strands of near round FW at 14mm - I have sold these regularly, and always keep some on hand. Can you pm me regarding the price you were being asked for these? I didn't pay more than I expected to, and certainly nowhere near SS prices.

The show is huge, isn't it? And tiring.... I spent 8 hours there on my first morning in HK, then about 6 the next day before heading straight to the airport for an overnight flight home.

Did someone say strands of these souffles are available? Does anyone know who is selling strands? I'd imagine they are not widely available?

The phone number for Sea Hunt is under the pearl photo in the article. I'd love it if you would tell them you read the article in JCK. ;)

Strands like these are not widely available, and the ones with the most intense colors went quickly. One thing they had a lot of, was matched pearl sets for earrings. Totally scrumptious. Of course, I scooped the best loose pearls! ;)

I do love the look and thanks so much for the article!

Back