Nervous Engagement Ring Shopper

YouCanCallMePoison

Hello all,

So I've been set on a certain ring for my girlfriend as an engagement ring. Money set aside. Perfect design (with a few changes). Everything seemed great until I decided to google the company and realized that, just as I thought, things were too good to be true. So now I am in need of any help you guys can offer. Originally I was looking into getting this ring http://www.shecypearljewelry.com/pearl-ring-jewelry/white-south-sea-pearl-ring-5058-NWR108.html with a white gold post and a change in the diamond carots but seeing as the company isn't reliable I'm sort of stuck on finding a ring like it. Most of the sites I've seen on here don't seem to have a rough white pearl ring, set in white gold with diamonds...besides one I've seen on almost every site with a triangular diamond design. Can anyone give me any suggestions or maybe places to search to find a new ring with these qualifications?

Have you looked at pearl paradise? They have lots of pearl and diamond rings. I think these are lovely:

Or just a simple diamond halo?
http://www.ross-simons.com/products/780779.html

Or you could go vintage:
http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/search.cfm

Compare anything you are interested in with pearls at Pearl Paradise. In fact, I believe we have a few threads mentioning shecy pearls as using pearl paradise photos- so why don't you go to the originator of the photos?

Can I ask a general engagement ring question. From what I have seen (on the TV) as well as various postings, it seems to be very different on the other side of the pond in that the boy selects and buys the ring and then presents it as a done thing when proposing? Is that right? what if she loves the bloke but hates the ring?
Over here as far as I know we still say yes then go shopping jointly

Hi Wendy,
Well, on this side of the pond it works both ways.... Sometimes the guy pops the question with ring in hand and other couples make the ring selection a joint venture. No hard and fast rules anymore.

If you're set with that setting from shecy, then maybe try to ask the sales staff if it's possible to buy only the mounting? And later you can buy the loose pearl on reliable vendor, such as PP etc.

Can I ask a general engagement ring question. From what I have seen (on the TV) as well as various postings, it seems to be very different on the other side of the pond in that the boy selects and buys the ring and then presents it as a done thing when proposing? Is that right? what if she loves the bloke but hates the ring?
Over here as far as I know we still say yes then go shopping jointly

With you there. As most of my friends are early to mid 30s, a lot of them have been getting engaged / married over the last few years. No-one that I know has had an engagement ring brought by the proposer rather than the proposee - it seems a very odd idea, to me. Although my dearly beloved did buy a ring, it was a jelly one, so not exactly designed for the long haul!

I don't think anyone's done the man-buy-woman-live-with-choice thing here for ages, that I know of - my parents chose my mother's engagement ring together in 1973.

Yeah, there's a big market push glamorizing the fella proposing with ring in hand. My x just proposed which was all I cared about.

Weeks later, in person, he casually placed an inherited diamond onto a table in front of me and asked if I'd like to shop for a setting. I liked that fine.

I think some people like surprises, and some prefer to choose. Which does your GF prefer? Surprises or choice?

I believe choosing an online seller that is ready to offer you more information regarding their diamonds
without giving you a hassle is definitely a plus.

I believe choosing an online seller that is ready to offer you more information regarding their diamonds
without giving you a hassle is definitely a plus.

This post is about buying a pearl engagement ring, not diamonds.

Back