Necklace Project - Need Opinions

MSC

Natural Pearl Lover
I'm putting together this vaguely Native American inspired necklace and I could use some feedback.

Originally, I thought lapis with the pipestone, mandarin garnet, rhodochrosite, and 24k gold beads would look great, but was underwhelmed. I had these sleeping beauty turquoise for a long time just sitting around. I'm thinking of removing all but the middle most and replacing the rest with either a gold bead or rhodochrosite bead. The remainder of the necklace will be just small orange carnelians. I also thought perhaps aqua colored peruvian opal would look good, but I don't have any currently and don't really want to order any.

What do you all think?

IMG_3704.jpg

Do you have any tiny round beads in gold? I would highlight the turq with two small beads on either side. I like where you are going with this as laid out...but I think there needs to be some subtle transition between some of the stones.

2mm round garnet beads make good spacers too. They're about the size of knots so they lend flexibility to a necklace, and they are small enough that the red color shows nicely (whereas larger garnet beads tend to look quite dark.)

Thank you all! I've strung it up (for now), but it's not quite right yet. Needed to see it as a necklace. Not sure what else to do, maybe some repositioning of beads...

IMG_3727.jpg

Your design reminded me a lot of designs by Tommy Singer. These have stood the test of time and maybe you will find some inspiration from them.s-l225.jpg

My inspiration was Arizona desert (worked there in 2007) and Damaraland in Namibia (took a class there in 2010), so I wanted to do a Native American/tribal inspired necklace.
Arizona:
arizona and southwest - 01.jpg
monument valley az.jpg
Damaraland:
000-damaraland.jpg
damaraland.JPG

Maybe I need to add something like blue tourmaline into the mix and reposition some beads...

Just my opinion, but I'd like to see a bit more blue back in ... the asymmetry doesn't bother me :) My own Tommy Singer necklace is not symmetrical :)

Sedona is gorgeous, I bet your mom loved it there, Jersey. Arizona is probably my favorite state in the west, though I say that without having been to the Pacific NW.

Cathy, I'd love to see your Singer necklace! I think I want to see a darker blue throughout the necklace. Not lapis, but maybe blue tourmaline. I could see a few larger sized roundelles. I could also see a few yellow gold roundelles added too. I don't have any just now, but perhaps in the future after other projects (finally) get completed.

I have a few pieces of pipestone left and I think I'm going to make a bracelet.

Those Tommy Singer necklaces are gorgeous, talk about a rabbit hole! I love Native American and other tribal jewelry, probably because there's an intense, raw relationship with nature in those pieces. Less manufactured than fine jewelry, but infinitely more precious.
Someone had up a MOP Zuni bangle and I just about died!

I'd like to see the Turquoise a bit more off to the side.

One of the most striking color combinations I've ever seen was a wooden floor in a Native American museum somewhere. The floor was designed to look like a Navaho rug, sort of. So it was mostly brown wood, but with a few painted designs in turquoise and dark red coral.

I'd like to see a darker red and brown in your necklace, along with the turquoise.

Last edited:
I agree with you BWeaves, that the turquoise needs to be more off sides. I think I'm going to switch with one of the rhodochrosite beads on the pink heavy side.

Definite no to darker red and brown, for me. I think those colors would appear to weigh the necklace down.

MSC--That was my Zuni bracelet, Colin Coonsis. I have two Tommy Singer necklaces, one spiny oyster and one turquoise. I love them both and you can see many of them browsing on Ebay. He died last year in a motorcycle accident near Page, AZ and his wife and son have tried to keep the artistic spirit alive. Have fun down the rabbit hole!!

Sedona is gorgeous, I bet your mom loved it there, Jersey. Arizona is probably my favorite state in the west, though I say that without having been to the Pacific NW.

Cathy, I'd love to see your Singer necklace! I think I want to see a darker blue throughout the necklace. Not lapis, but maybe blue tourmaline. I could see a few larger sized roundelles. I could also see a few yellow gold roundelles added too. I don't have any just now, but perhaps in the future after other projects (finally) get completed.

I have a few pieces of pipestone left and I think I'm going to make a bracelet.

Those Tommy Singer necklaces are gorgeous, talk about a rabbit hole! I love Native American and other tribal jewelry, probably because there's an intense, raw relationship with nature in those pieces. Less manufactured than fine jewelry, but infinitely more precious.
Someone had up a MOP Zuni bangle and I just about died!
She had the best of both worlds...Jersey Shore during summertime and Sedona for winter...spring and fall were her travel times. I too love AZ...heading there in April.

Back