Need help with Necklace and earrings

gigi

Hello All,

I upcycle/repurpose vintage jewelry into more modern usable pieces as a hobby. I buy large lots of "junk" jewelry and nose around thrift stores and the like for usable pieces. I often will buy a piece for the clasp closure which was the case with the strand of pearls, at the time not realizing it was 14k or the diamond was in fact a diamond. Although, when I purchased the necklace(for $3) I thought the pearls had a really striking glow and color, much better than a glass pearl has in my opinion. Anyway, once I realized the clasp was 14k gold and the diamond a diamond, I turned my attention to the pearls themselves because why would you use a pricey clasp on cheap pearls? This is a rule I use with all vintage/antique pieces, in general, and always research before breaking it apart. Now, they are gritty, but not an aggressive, wow that's a sandy pearl. They also passed my fingernail test, ask me. I would say they have a molten and slightly pitted appearance under a loop and though they are cold to the touch they are surprising lighter in weight, but they are mostly smaller pearls. I work a lot with FW/cultured pearls, but these do have me scratching my head. They measure approximately 4mm to 8mm on a 16inch necklace.

I purchased the earrings in an antique shop in NJ, I just fell in love with them. I think they are blister pearls? They are set in a 830 silver, which makes me think they might Scandinavian, but I don't know for sure. They have a bluish/greyish hue to them in sunlight.

Any information would be appreciated on either piece.
Thanks, GIGI

IMG_6858.JPGIMG_6866.JPGIMG_6861.JPGIMG_6865.JPGIMG_6862.JPGIMG_6863.JPG

Can you find a few blemishes on the necklace pearls and post close up photos?

Forgot to add these photo

Forgot to add these photo

More Photos.

Attachments

• IMG_6858.JPG
    IMG_6858.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6855.JPG
    IMG_6855.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6854.JPG
    IMG_6854.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6856(1).JPG
    IMG_6856(1).JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6857.JPG
    IMG_6857.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 31
Sorry for the graininess of the photos. They have some dimples and bumps throughout, however it’s not very noticeable unless you look through a loupe and off round here and there. Some of the smaller ones look speckled(?) pitted. I tried to photograph well, but the smaller pearls are between 3.7-4mm, so difficult.

Attachments

• 9C3AE9AA-067D-4530-9DD0-3927F63CE4E4.jpg
    9C3AE9AA-067D-4530-9DD0-3927F63CE4E4.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 35
  • A3924EBE-AA34-4D9E-A73B-F5A4F5CD3744.jpg
    A3924EBE-AA34-4D9E-A73B-F5A4F5CD3744.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 33
Thank you!
They look like akoya pearls, a graduated strand. They seem to have nice luster.

I recommend you give them a nice bath (soak for 15 minutes or so in bottles/distilled water and a mild soap) and then wipe off any grime that may have accumulated over the years. I find it often accumulates near the drill holes. If you would like information on restringing, there are tutorials and videos on the Lowly Beaders Club forum.

Thank You! Yes, they nearly glow and I bet after a bath they will be even more beautiful! I will take a peak at the video. I can restring like a champ, but always look for shortcuts. How about the earrings? Any thoughts?

Back