Wonderful Obssession, Terrible Addiction - Pearls

Hunting for a good jewelry box where I can safely store all the objects of my obsession became recently an obsession by itself. I know that silk bags are perhaps better but too many silk bags is too confusing, I would never be able to get the right strand out of the pile.

So, here comes the box, just found it last Saturday. Really BIG and with at least 18 spacy compartments for all the necklaces. And OK, it is not silk and does not breath... but I can walk the pearls out opening the box during the day :D/ Gives me a chance to look at my small beauties every time I pass by :)

Jewelrybox-vi.jpg

Are the stones garnets?

Sorry for "degrading" the rubies to merely garnets.

However, what a lovely colour the have! You must be very proud to own such lovelies...

Hunting for a good jewelry box where I can safely store all the objects of my obsession became recently an obsession by itself. I know that silk bags are perhaps better but too many silk bags is too confusing, I would never be able to get the right strand out of the pile.

So, here comes the box, just found it last Saturday. Really BIG and with at least 18 spacy compartments for all the necklaces. And OK, it is not silk and does not breath... but I can walk the pearls out opening the box during the day :D/ Gives me a chance to look at my small beauties every time I pass by :)

Jewelrybox-vi.jpg

What? You are not buying more pearls then for these 18 compartments, LOL? Lovely box, where can you store it without it drawing too much attention to strangers?

That's the whole focus-pokus: each compartment is big enough for a couple of strands :)

Where am I going to store it... that's a question... maybe in the bedroom under the bed? Let everybody think that this is my grandmother's old trunk with worthless rubbish :)

Just kidding. It can easily stand in a wardrobe, or just on a little chair next to it.

I recently bought this 3-drawer "Goliat" unit from Ikea for $39.99:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40103685

I have a desk in my bedroom in a location where there is really no room to use a chair, so there was this handy space under the desk (where the chair should have been) to place this unit.

That is where I currently have my PP pearl boxes. The drawers are large enough that I can subdivide the drawers in the future to create more individual spaces for pearls.

I also have a large, older style multi-drawer jewelry chest-- solid wood-- that I picked up at Salvation army for a song! That one is on top of my dresser.

And I still have several of the old-fashioned padded jewelry boxes in my dresser drawers-- the kind that, when you lift the lid, a tray pops up inside. Not so much room for clothes in my drawers, LOL!!

Thanks for all the kinds words about my designs. Very much appreciated.

At least I do know that I am not the only one who has an obsession with pearls, and we all have our beauties to look at, admire and drool over :)

Bodecia

Hi jerin,

Sorry for "degrading" the rubies to merely garnets.

That's okay :) Garnets are beautiful in their own right and some much over-looked. I personally love garnets and spinels, often much more beautiful than rubies.

Bodecia

So, here comes the box, just found it last Saturday. Really BIG and with at least 18 spacy compartments for all the necklaces. And OK, it is not silk and does not breath...

The box doesn't look like those drawers have an airtight seal. Why would you say it does not breathe? I always assumed it was things like safes and tightly closed boxes that do not breathe, but that things like wooden boxes (where the lids rest upon each other, rather than into a groove) and chests of drawers do in fact breathe. My rational is that if (imaginary) light can escape from the container it is not airtight, and therefore breathes. I would be interested in hearing what other people think. I would hate to find out that I am not caring for my pearls as tenderly as I think I am :rolleyes:

Olmander,
Trust me, that box soon won't be big enough.....:D

Sueki, I am afraid it is already now JUST big enough... not much space for expansion... but then it will keep me more reasonable... I hope so... :D

Back