Nautilus pearl

Hi Steve,

These pearls are some of those that were later shown in higher resolution on the forum if I remember well (Hubert Bari's pearls). They were part of Ken Scarratt's monograph.

I have a lot of catching up to do on the forum!

These pearls are some of those that were later shown in higher resolution on the forum if I remember well (Hubert Bari's pearls).
That is good to know, but I must say I'm disappointed!

The pearls in Bari, initially posted at Pearl-Professor.com and later here, were judged upon publication to be Tridacna by a highly-respected natural pearl dealer in this country and the directors of two prominent European pearl labs. In the photographs Bari's pearls display classic crossed-lamellar flame and chatoyance, with smooth skins. The Nautilus is not known to produce crossed-lamellar shell material.

The low-resolution photograph you posted, along with your description of a slightly rough surface and unusual optics, indicated something more unusual.

Are you sure those are the same pearls?

The photo I posted was shot by Hubert. It was part of a series of photos of natural pearls of various origins (that's a lot of ofs!). I posted a few more of the series in another thread a while ago. The pearl he showed me was the smaller ovale one. I did not see the larger round.

I don't have Scarratt's monograph with me, but I am pretty sure the shape and size correspond to one of the pearls described in the monograph. I did not discuss the possibility that the pearl I saw is yet another one with Hubert, as for me there was no doubt it wasn't.

I will ask Hubert if he can chime in. He tried to register to the forum at the time of the WPF but for some reason he could not log in.

I did not discuss the possibility that the pearl I saw is yet another one with Hubert, as for me there was no doubt it wasn't.
What strikes me is the difference between your eyewitness description early in the thread?which is dead-on in my subsequent experience?and the appearance of the pearls in the photograph published in Pearls. The only logical conclusion is that one cannot judge pearls from a photo, they must be held in one's own hands.

I have had substantial Email exchange with Bari on this issue, he recalls that at the time (around the beginning of this thread) there was a high degree of confidence in the provenance of the pearls (there was never any scientific corroboration) that has subsequently eroded. Thus GIA/Scarratt's monograph was never officially published, and remains in a state of perpetual revision.

Willey's SHELL !

Willey's SHELL !

This thread has prominently included the search for anomalous Nautilus shells (with blisters, repairs, malformations or other indications of stress) in an effort to understand Nautilus bio-minerality as it might apply to pearl formation. Prior to reading Willey's 1902 monograph I had found a particularly striking shell on offer, acquired just this morning after a bit of a struggle at auction.

On the right is my new Nautilus shell. On the left is Willey?s illustration of a particularly interesting shell from his three years in the field, his only such illustration to demonstrate malformation of a Nautilus shell.

Now that there are two such shells in 115 years, I suppose that ?anomaly? in this case must be officially upgraded to ?phenomenon.?

Probably little to do with Nautilus pearls, but 'cosmic' again comes to mind to explain Spirit of Nautilus' continuing influence in these matters!

Cambridge University Zoology Dept. reports that shells from Willey's expedition are indeed in their care, although there are no records of a pearl pending a more thorough search. Advice will also ensue should this particular shell be among the archived specimens.

Attachments

• NautilusFreak(Willey-Conch)1.jpg
    NautilusFreak(Willey-Conch)1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The monograph mentions 5 pearls from Nautilus pompilius, and one from Argonauta hians. Only three of these pearls were from Hubert Bari. Were the other pearls identified as tridacna pearls too?

The monograph mentions 5 pearls from Nautilus pompilius, and one from Argonauta hians. Only three of these pearls were from Hubert Bari. Were the other pearls identified as tridacna pearls too?
The three pearls in Bari are clearly either Tridacna sp. or some sort of white conch due to their crossed-lamellar appearance. I must also say that they are from the collection of a UAE pearl dealer known to be a major producer, on his Australian farm, of the fraudulent natural-beaded pearls that have been flooding the natural market in the past two years (subject of Thomas Hainschwang's talk at AGA in Tucson last week).

Bari also received erroneous information regarding the biology of Nautilus, attributing its daily vertical migration to a change in buoyancy (like Nemo's Nautilus), when it has been known to Nautilus experts for decades that Nautilus buoyancy adjusts far too slowly to account for this. As Bari himself has told me, he regrets inclusion of the chapter as premature. But it was far too tempting, and seemingly sure, at the time.

The other two pearls are those promoted by Tom Stern here, and they are quite likely Nautilus based on appearance, although there is evidence of flame structure that is worrisome. Only a close look under SEM, interpreted by Antonio Checa at U. Granada and Michael Vendrasco at UC Santa Barbara Institute for Crystal Studies (currently the only published/qualified scientists familiar with the microstructure in question) would be able to provide a definitive determination.

Argonauta (single-species cephalopod genus) is particularly interesting, as it takes the challenge of Nautilus to another level. With Nautilus, skeptics point to the differing appearance of the pearls and the shell. Argonauta has no shell. It is the 'paper Nautilus', producing an extremely fragile, calcitic eggcase that certainly has nothing to do at all with any pearl associated with the mollusk. Therefore, a legitimate, aragonitic pearl from Argonautilus must originate in a part of the mollusk other than the mantle (GI or reproductive tract, muscle tissue, etc). As it is, the provenance for Tom's Argonauta pearl is in severe doubt, as it was found loose in an old eggcase.

Finally, this thread has been blessed with the contribution of Dave at Lagoon Island Pearls, who physically harvested a calcareous pearl from an octopus, reporting it here with image.

It seems we have a wonderful opportunity, if Dave and Tom would offer their octopus and paper Nautilus pearls to compare with a Nautilus or two of reliable provenance, to check for genetic similarities among the cephalopods. By linking them, and differentiating them via their microstructure, some conclusions might be reached.

I was having a look at the monograph again and the radiograph of figure 44 struck me. I see something that resembles a tiny nautilus or some kind of coil-shaped something.

Can you scan and post? Or provide the caption? Nautilus embryos hatch fully formed with seven finished chambers, about two inches in diameter.

Caption reads:
microradiograph of a round 1.49ct Nautilus pearl revealing a centrally placed void or area of organic matter.

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 41
Thanks, after contrast adjustment it is quite clear (the void, if not the coil shape).

I just bought Bari's book "Pearl". On page 21, it reads:

"Mabe, a word of Tahitian origin, does not have any particular meaning, and we prefer to use the much more evocative term of blister pearl"

I have read somewhere - I cannot remember where - that this word mab? designates the pteria species in a Japanese dialect from the Ryukyu islands. Can someone confirm or infirm?

I did mention this to Hubert Bari when he sent me a draft copy of his first chapter back in 2008, I suppose he did his research but I'm still not convinced. None of my Tahitian contacts could confirm it is of Tahitian origin.

Last edited:
A new pearl received, obtained as others here from a private collection in a remote island location via 'friendly' persuasion. This is a 14-carat drop, and while it has notable blemishes and imperfections its general shape and wildly opalescent chatoyance make it unique for its size.

Certainly these things are proving to be as consistent in type as their associated myth.

Attachments

• 13.75Comp(1).jpg
    13.75Comp(1).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 41
Still from Tridacna? or else?

Still from Tridacna? or else?

M. Abominabilis ('the mystery mollusk'), due to its optical uniqueness and strange aragonite microstructure, a microstructure not as yet observed in any shelled mollusk of pearl-producing dimensions. That said, this is a very fine example of what has been revered for centuries in the Indo-Pacific as a Nautilus pearl.

Caption reads:
microradiograph of a round 1.49ct Nautilus pearl revealing a centrally placed void or area of organic matter.
The microradiograph image from the privately-circulated, unpublished/unfinished Nautilus pearl monograph by Ken Scarratt of GIA Bangkok does raise eyebrows for the apparent shape of the irritant. The photo caption does not speculate an ID for this object and I do not know if the monograph attempts to draw any conclusions from it. Perhaps the image is offered prima facie for viewer's interpretation, given its provocative nature.

As I mentioned prior to Effisk's posting of the image, the size of the object, at under 2mm (the X-Rayed pearl is approximately 5mm in total diameter) precludes its being a Nautilus embryo, as Nautilus develops during 12 months in a two-inch egg case and does not begin to resemble its species until somewhere near 15mm in size. Nautilus hatches fully-developed, with seven completed chambers.

Subsequently I have been studying the extinct Ammonite class in order to compare it with modern Nautilus, and discovered that a major differentiating factor is that Ammonites cast thousands of eggs at once to the sea (vs. 9-12 per year for Nautilus), and the hatchlings, microscopic in size at around 1mm, boasted one functional chamber and a full whorl. Ammonite hatchlings were thus planktonic and spread throughout the pre-Tertiary seas, a factor in Ammonites' geographic ubiquitousness during hundreds of millions of years in the fossil record.

The embryonic Ammonite hatchling is called an Ammonitella. If an Ammonitella were to be confirmed as the nucleous of a Nautilus (or any other) pearl, it's fair to say it would attract some serious attention from paleontologists, Ammonites having gone the way of the dinosaurs 65.5 million years ago.

Today I began reading my newly-printed copy of Arthur Willey's Contribution to the Natural History of the Pearly Nautilus and almost immediately came across the following text. In 1894 Willey had just arrived in New Britain and began with a preliminary study of the area's plankton population as a means of beginning his search for Nautilus in its various stages of development (BOLD FACE IS MINE):

Among many other objects, a small pelagic Mollusc known as Atlanta, belonging to the sub-order Heteropoda, was abundant at various depths. It was my first acquaintance with this small creature which is almost absurdly like a miniature Nautilus. It possesses in fact a perfect involute planorbiform shell, laterally compressed, symmetrical on both sides and not exceeding 5 millimetres in major diameter. Of course it differs essentially from Nautilus in that the cavity of the shell is not divided into chambers?
The Atlantidae family is considered holoplanktonic, i.e. forming a part of the plankton population during its entire life.

Clearly, this tiny 'Nautiloid' gastropod would provide an effective pearl-producing irritant regardless of the mollusk in which it happened to become trapped. Without having read the unpublished monograph, I can only hope and assume that the radiograph image in and of itself was not in any way used to defend the Nautilus-species certification.

Below is the GIA radiograph (improved for contrast) and an image of a 1mm adult Atlantidae specimen. Its shape differs from the object in the pearl nucleus only in perspective.

Attachments

• XRAY-Proatlanta(1).jpg
    XRAY-Proatlanta(1).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back