Nautilus pearl

I greatly enjoyed reading Rare Earth and was surprised that it was by the same person that authored In Search of Nautilus. Things have a way of linking together here that makes me think "cosmic"! :cool:

Things have a way of linking together here that makes me think "cosmic"!
Yesterday we were traveling through the Spanish provinces of Murcia and Albacete and decided to check out an isolated mountain village in the Sierra de Segura for a leisurely lunch. We stopped in a village along the way and upon striking a conversation with a localite (who happened to be the village archivist), we were asked if we would like to see a famous fossil collection. We said of course, and were led to a private residence in the heart of the pueblo.

This part of Spain is rife with exposed fossil strata. A local man, followed now by an enthusiastic son, has spent decades gathering an amazing collection, including rooms full of boxes containing uncleaned and unsorted specimens yet to find their way into the extensive displays. Paleontologists from major universities are aware and have come to study the collection. The son was amazed to hear that on Monday we would be with Professor Antonio Checa of the Department of Stratigraphy and Paleontology at the University of Granada, and sent us on our way with two small but nice ammonite specimens.

Cosmic, indeed!

Attachments

• SocovosComp(1).jpg
    SocovosComp(1).jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 44
I agree with Pattye! Making such sympatico new friends and taking specimen/gifts for Dr. Checa is very cosmic. :cool:

Safely back in Madrid and relishing our few days in Granada, mornings spent on the huge campus of the Facultad de Ciencias of the University of Granada, afternoons and evenings soaking up the images and spirit of Washington Irving's fantasies.

Microstructure of M. Abominabilis (pearl subject of this thread) and the causes of pearl symmetry and circle/spiral formations constituted the primary areas for study and conversation.

Researchers in attendance:

• Antonio Checa, Spain, Dept. of Stratigraphy and Paleontology, U. Granada. (Shell microstructure, fossil taxonomy.)
  • Julyan Cartwright, UK, Instituto Andaluz de Ciencias de la Tierra, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cient?ficas–Universidad de Granada. (Theoretical physics.)
  • Marthe Rousseau, France, CNRS (Centre National de la recherche scientifique), Nancy. (BioMed nacre applications.)
  • Steve Metzler, USA, Pearl-Guide, Seattle, WA. (Collector.)
  • Ana Vasiliu, Romania, Economist (occasional Pearl-Guide), Bucharest. (Pearl science advocate.)
  • (In absentia): Douglas McLaurin, Mexico, Cortez Pearls, Guaymas. (Pearl scientist and farmer.)
  • (In absentia): Blaire Beavers, USA, Pearl-Guide, San Diego, CA (Gemologist/pearlologist/educator/trusted advisor.)

Talk about an international committee!

FESEM (Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscopy, with resolution up to 500,000x) observations of the strange pearls populating this thread confirmed their unique composition of an aragonite microstructure not previously observed in pearls or large mollusks. It is quite a mystery, as the microstructure coincides with the latest discoveries regarding the earliest development of shelled mollusks and complex life on earth (further detail would precede scientific publication and therefore cannot be shared).

Marthe Rousseau, who managed private research for Robert Wan in Tahiti for eight years, had valuable observations. Under her direction, CNRS, a dedicated research facility, may soon undertake groundbreaking research into DNA extraction from shell and pearl material in order to attempt matching biomineral proteins with known species genomes. If successful, developed techniques would be applied to our M. Abominabilis pearls.

Spirit of Nautilus continues to jealously guard its secrets, despite three years of knocking on the door here at Pearl-Guide. For the time being, NO ONE can claim Nautilus pearl ID with scientific surety. Nonetheless, the continuing effort has proven of significant scientific value.

Below you will find University of Granada's FESEM unit and yours truly with Antonio Checa, Marthe Rousseau and Mrs. Checa at a well-known local bar, beneath the appropriately-mysterious Alhambra at night.

Attachments

• Granada-Checa-Nov10(2).jpg
    Granada-Checa-Nov10(2).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Wish I could have been there! Steve Metzler, scientific pearl ambassador! :cool:

Blaire, no joking?your support and advice have been invaluable.

And there's a long way to go!

Natural Pearl Society Speaker Schedule for Tucson
Natural Pearl Society
Arizona Gem Show 2011
Arizona Hotel
Tucson

Schedule of Events

Monday, Jan 31. 10:30am to noon.

? Welcome by Jim Grahl, President of the Natural Pearl Society
? Welcome by Tom Stern, MD. Introduction of Main Speaker of the day,

Yolanda Ortega Stern, PhD.
? Topic 1: Sex and the Wild Pearl, including 2 short readings from her new book. Topic 2: Pearls for Peace, slide show, how to contribute to the welfare of disadvantaged people through the pearl business.
? Questions and Answers

Tuesday, Feb. 1 10:30 to noon ? Welcome by Tom Stern,MD
? Comments by Yolanda Ortega Stern to follow-on from prior day?s talk. Introduction of Main Speaker of the day, David Porter.
? Mr. Porter speaks. Topic 1. Pearl Valuation. Review of auction sale prices. Review of private sale prices.
? Q&A time.

Wednesday, Feb. 2. 2:30 to 5pm
Welcome by Yolanda Ortega Stern,PhD
? Introduction of Jim Grahl and Chase Rief
? Short presentation of the Natural Pearl Society by Mr. Grahl and Mr. Rief. Introduction of the main speaker of the day. Tom Stern, MD,
? Topics: Rare pearls with slide show. Collecting wild pearls. Famous collections. Investments in Wild Pearls.
? Question and Answer session.
? Display and discussion of collection sets

Thursday, Feb. 3. 10:30 to noon ? Welcome by Yolanda Ortega Stern
? Tom Stern, MD. Brief update on conference activities. Introduction of main speaker of day

Jim Grahl
Topic 1. Pearl design. Topic 2. The Natural Pearl Society Design Initiative. Topic 3. Membership in Natural Pearl Society.
? Q&A session.

Friday, Feb. 4, 10:30 to noon ? Welcome by Jim Grahl.
? Update on developments during show by Yolanda Ortega Stern Introduction of main speaker of day, Thomas Montgomery Ortega Stern.
? Pearl care and cleaning of valuable items. The life of a Pearl Trader. Famous historical traders. Health and Fitness for the busy person in the jewelry trade. Suggested books to read.
? Questions and Answers.

Saturday, Feb. 5, 11:00 to 12:30 ? Welcome by Tom Stern,MD
? Yolanda Ortega Stern,PhD...Updates on developments in show and Introduction of Main Speaker of day, Chase Rief.
? Mr. Rief speaks on Jewelry Marketing in the modern age. Old concepts of marketing. New concepts. Use of language, history, romance.
? Questions and Answers
? Jim Grahl, President of Natural Pearl Society closing remarks.

Daily Roundtable Discussion at Booth at 1pm to 2pm
? At least 3 Natural Pearl Society members will be present for wide-ranging discussions, showing collections, inspection of finished pieces, and answering questions. Roundtable moderated by Tom Stern,MD​

As scientific work towards authentication of M. Abominabilis proceeds, we continue to keep our eyes and ears open to native sources and the role played by mysticism in the harvesting and retention of what yet must be considered a candidate for World's Rarest Pearl.

Much has been said here and in the classical pearl literature about the metaphysical powers uniquely ascribed to 'Nautilus' pearls, coveted among Indo-Pacific seafaring peoples over the centuries for bringing good fortune, protection and strength to their bearer.

Just today I have been told about the custom among Indonesian fishermen of rendering medicine oil from the flesh of a Nautilus in which a pearl has been found?

Talk about destroying the evidence!

New Nautilus shell with blister received today, snatched off the souvenir production line just within the past couple of weeks. Polishing has removed the prismatic non-nacreous outer shell layer, allowing for very interesting backlit examination. Shell has been cut away to the point of the blister, as was the similar specimen posted by J. Norris early in the thread. Will add this to the others?

?and along with the shell, this particularly lively, off-round, 4.85ct/8.6mm M. Abominabilis-Nautilus pearl. While not nacreous, a similarity of tone and aspect to the nacreous Nautilus shell can be perceived.

Attachments

• Shell08-Backlit(1).jpg
    Shell08-Backlit(1).jpg
    131 KB · Views: 41
  • Nautilus4.85-12.29.10(1).jpg
    Nautilus4.85-12.29.10(1).jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 46
Steve...now I owe you dinner in San Francisco. Tremendous determination on your part. That is clearly a Nautilus blister.

Respectfully,
Tom Stern,MD

Steve...now I owe you dinner in San Francisco. Tremendous determination on your part. That is clearly a Nautilus blister.
Thanks, Tom. Nose to the grindstone, as they say.

See you and the other fine pearlers in Tucson!

Happy New Year to all.

Happy New Year to you Steve. Wow, what a super find! (very pretty too :)

Marianne

Great photos, Steve. It seems weird to be saying "as usual" about something so rare, but as usual, you have posted some amazing finds! :cool:

Cosmic!

Cosmic!

It seems weird to be saying "as usual" about something so rare?
It has certainly occurred to me that this thread risks loss of perspective. But seemingly every time I swear to let it rest, something new develops or my little digital compact camera manages to capture the personality of another one of these precious gems (Nautilus or 'naut'!), begging to be shared.

To the cosmos: Spirit of Nautilus continues to have its way with me. Image is of a new high-end sparkling wine resulting from secret research by our long-time 'champagne' supplier in Catalu?a, Spain. Two bottles were received without prior advice two days ago by air. How the Nautilus theme was chosen I have yet to discover. AUREUM is not for sale, but imagine my enthusiasm to list it in our catalogue next year! Hope it's good!!

Celebrating New Years at our mountain cabin, outdoor temperatures providing the perfect chill.

Until next year.

Attachments

• Aureum(1).jpg
    Aureum(1).jpg
    139 KB · Views: 44
Back