natural pearls pacific : FANTASTIC !

As rich a resource as this book is, the information given on the distribution of P. maculata is erroneous. In fact, distribution is limited to the western Pacific region, mainly in French Polynesia and the Cook Islands, which makes up less than 10% of the coastal regions of the Pacific Ocean.

http://skaphandrus.com/en/marine-species/distribution/species/Pinctada-maculata

I couldn't help but notice one of the stations marked on the chart is located at Rusty and Bronwyn's farm in northern Australia. I'm not sure of the biomass, whether plentiful, rare nor it's viablity for pearl culture. Likewise cannot find a single source to suggest P. maculata occurs anywhere along the North, Central or South American shores.

Maybe an omission (typo) from the original text of Elizabeth Strack (she wrote the introduction...).
The distribution as per FAO (Kent Carpenter & Volker H. Niem) is indeed Western Pacific and adjacent areas of the eastern Indian Ocean, from Cocos (keelin) Islands to eastern Polynesia: north Japan and south to northern New Wouth Wales, Kermadec, Norfolk and Lord Howe islands.

Pinctada maculta distribution.jpg

As for skaphandrus.com, maybe some of the contributors made incorrect reports? (Mauritius really?...)

Last edited:
I am very glad to share with friends the pleasure of discovering its small wonders of nature, I am on the ground if you have any questions do not hesitate :) I can just say that 4 years ago only 4 or 5 atoll that produces Poe my knowledge is knowing Polynesia Europe area, and only one or two a certain place gives pearl incredible, yad other place but the pearl is not pretty, not much luster of brilliance, there are even places where the pearl white beads gives one side of the atoll and the other dimension colorful truly amazing ... a fantastic trip!

Pour Cyril 0,6 g :)
sorry 0,56 g

Thank you for the data.
Interestingly enough I would have said that this is from Pinctada margaritifera... the data do not fit the previously recorded data for Pinctada maculata. to fit the model the weight should have been .66g, this said the model is hardly significant.

Thank you for the data.
Interestingly enough I would have said that this is from Pinctada margaritifera... the data do not fit the previously recorded data for Pinctada maculata. to fit the model the weight should have been .66g, this said the model is hardly significant.

yes I did check between I're not able electronic but I think 7.1 and 7.2 and 0.56 g for the weight and know a pretty Pinctada Maculata :)

selected four of them and polished the edges and the back to get all the algea and dirty material etc of the outside

(dont think people that will buy a jewellery piece like all pointy algea on the back )

now i can set something around them or on the top flat side and in some weeks you will see the finished product :)

now they look like this after polishing

SDC11201 副本

I will definitely be interested in buying at least one from you if you find any more! They are gorgeous, I can't wait to see what Daniel does with them :eek:

hello madsciencechik, yes Daniel (dmj) already buy the latest, starting next March 2013, returning with natural pearl, mabe late May and early June, hoping that the fishing will be good :D

Back