Natural Pearls Fetch High Prices at Auction

pearl guide

Staff member
Christie's Jewellery auctions held in Europe this last November featured strands and lots of rare natural pearls.
One notable piece, fetching the highest price ever for a piece of pearl jewelry, was a double strand measuring 8.5-16.3mm. The strand was composed of 88 pearls, and sold for a record $3.12 million at an auction held in Geneva. The strand was silver/white with rose overtones and good luster.
Although the actual origin of the natural pearls is unknown, the pearls are most likely from the Basrah region in the Persian Gulf, as this area has historically produced the largest natural pearls.
Another auction, this one held in London, featured a single lot of 30 pearls. This same auction also featured an 18th century double-strand necklace which sold for $303,034, and an antique pendant with a natural pearl measuring 257.41 grains. The single pendant sold for $282,090.

Last edited:
RE: Band on natural pearl

Hi PG's
Just wanna get an advice from you pearl expert. Got this pearl from oyester blackliff. This is a natural pearl non-nucli but I am wondering why there is a bond on it, is it natural for a pearl to have that kind of a thing? This is 10.42 ct and measuring 11.14 x 11.28mm almost round. Your information will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Fai

Attachments

• pearl wit band top view.jpg
    pearl wit band top view.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 46
  • pearl wit band side view.jpg
    pearl wit band side view.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 44
A single-post thread with over 1500 views gets its second post after 3-1/2 years. Must have been a Google direct hit!

In any case, that's a beautiful button, perfect ring or pendant material. Fai says blacklip/P. Margaritifera, not impossible but wouldn't Philippine gold be more indicative of P. Maxima?

Regarding the white banding, will await further comments.

A single-post thread with over 1500 views gets its second post after 3-1/2 years. Must have been a Google direct hit!

In any case, that's a beautiful button, perfect ring or pendant material. Fai says blacklip/P. Margaritifera, not impossible but wouldn't Philippine gold be more indicative of P. Maxima?

Regarding the white banding, will await further comments.

Hi Smetzler,

P. Maxima is in the shallow area here in the Philippines which rare produced pearl but most of our divers found pearl in P. Margaritifera and this is were this pearl came from. Lets wait others will comment about this band.

Fai

The pearl looks golden. If it is natural, it most likely grew in the mantle. It may be banded because epithelial cells from both yellow and white areas on the mantle corresponding to the shell lip were incorporated into the pearl sack.

This is just theory though.

The only other "pearls" I have seen (partly purple and partly white)are from the quahog clam and are due to the pearl's positon in the clam.

...I am wondering why there is a bond on it, is it natural for a pearl to have that kind of a thing?

I don't know what causes the band, but your pearl looks like the big sister of some small natural pearls. The ones I have seen were around 3-4mm, some sort of Pinctada from Philippines with precisely the same kind of circle. Really similar.

That's all I know... I have not bought those pearls (what t do with three ~3mm pearls?).

The only thing I remember is that I have read that P. Margaritifera can produce pearls of many colours, i.e. black, white and golden pearls. I think there was a post by Jeremy Shepherd somewhere on the forum about this.

This thread shows 'banding'! Excellent search tools here. Love you guys and your hard work

Back