Natural Abalone Pearls

My first natural pearls landed! I am completely smitten by these little guys (from Ringcraft Moana).
The "hardest" part is that they have such a perfect nacre coverage all around and I initially wanted to have them half-drilled and bezel-set. Now I am wondering if I could do another design where they dangle from little chains .... what do you guys think, rather go as protective as possible with Abalones?

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 09.19.41.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 09.19.57.jpg

Family shot with seafoam Tahitians and blueish SoC. I cannot resist cool-toned mermaid pearls this year!
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 19.55.15.jpg

Thanks guys! Unfortunately the jeweller I've asked so far thinks the pearls are too skinny to drill vertically.... I'll need to dream up some more ideas.

The smallest size drill bit my supplier carries is a .5mm (meaning that is the size hole it will create). My guess is that they drill very few pearls, and use a larger 0.8-1.2mm bit when they do. What size is the post for your mounting? I'd suggest that you make an inquiry with Pearl Paradise, as they might be able to custom design a setting for your pearls.

Dear all, could I please get your input about drilling natural abalone pearls. Do you do it? Do you prefer to sand/roughen small pearls (say 3-5mm) and glue them only or put them into some kind of cage/bezel setting? I have two small loose undrilled pearls on the way and I am both scared to give them to my local goldsmith to drill but also scared of them falling off my earrings. What do you think? Thanks!

My recommendation: purchase a hand-use pearl drill so you can manually drill in any possible way. I would also get a strong steel needle (2-3 inches long) and put on fire for some minutes, then with tweezers I would gently press into the pearl (on the selected spot for drilling) so I would make a 0.5-1.0 mm deep hole from where to start drilling with ease...this way you don't risk your drill bit moving from side to side.

Additional Note: remember heated up metal looks identical to cool metal. Use carefully!

Hope this technique helps.

I've used that technique to work with some REALLY HARD TO DRILL pearls AND Naturals...when I just can't make a mistake. Please let us know how it went for you! :)

Thank you everyone for your input! This is what happened now, the NZ abalone pearls (from Ringcraft Moana) got set (undrilled in fine gold) with Australian sapphires and NZ baby Paua shell castings (from Nick Feint):

abalone_4.jpg

The sketch stage...

piercing-abalone-07-2018-01.jpg

piercing-abalone-07-2018-02.jpg

Attachments

• abalone.jpg
    abalone.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
OOOOOO, I love asymmetrical earrings. What a great design. EAR SHOTS!!!

Hey!
A very good friend of mine called me this morning and told me he had just purchased this HUGE natural Abalone pearl...it is probably one of the biggest in the world, so I just had to share this with the PG family!
This pearl is from Baja California in Mexico, from the "Red Abalone" (Haliotis rufescens) and has the typical "claw shape" of many very desirable abalone pearls.
View attachment 76131
And guess much it weighs??? This one weighs 442.95 carats!!! :cool:
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 11.54.41 AM.jpeg

I looked up some information and this might be the 3rd largest pearl of its kind in the world!

Amazing! I’ve never seen a pearl like this before.

and thank you for giving this thread a bump, it has some real beauties in it, and neat tips.

Back