Question about natural (real) 60+ year old freshwater pearls from India

suzanne

New Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
3
This 22” strand of natural freshwater pearls was bought for my birthday 60 years ago in India. They were sold by a trusted jeweler. They were strung without a proper catch as he purchased them loose from a newab’s collection. I have been trying to find out how to get an idea of what they might be worth. None of the jewelers in my town know anything about natural pearls, only cultured ones. I realize I could send them to GIA, but I really would rather not do that unless I decide to sell them. Any ideas? (I took these photos outside on a grey day. If there’s a better way, please let me know and I can take new photos)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9560.jpeg
    IMG_9560.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9561.jpeg
    IMG_9561.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
I am not one of the experts on this site but if I thought I had such a long strand of such nicely matched and nicely shaped natural pearls (with pretty pink overtones), I would definitely get them certified. In my opinion, if they are truly natural, they should be documented for what they are.
 
Thanks. We got quite a number of pieces with natural freshwater pearls- button studs and cluster pearl earrings, and some pieces with pearls and other stones. One ring with 4 large pearls. I am quite sure they are natural, as none of them are perfectly round like cultured pearls (which the jeweler also had) and in 1967-69, the years we were there, there were no cultured freshwater pearls. I can’t afford to insure them, so the only reason I would get them appraised is if I decide to sell them. I might, because my only daughter hates pearls! But I don’t know who I could even take them to to appraise them that knows enough about natural pearls. Certainly no one around where I live.
 
Thanks. We got quite a number of pieces with natural freshwater pearls- button studs and cluster pearl earrings, and some pieces with pearls and other stones. One ring with 4 large pearls. I am quite sure they are natural, as none of them are perfectly round like cultured pearls (which the jeweler also had) and in 1967-69, the years we were there, there were no cultured freshwater pearls. I can’t afford to insure them, so the only reason I would get them appraised is if I decide to sell them. I might, because my only daughter hates pearls! But I don’t know who I could even take them to to appraise them that knows enough about natural pearls. Certainly no one around where I live.
Appraisals are subjective and at PG we are generally reticent to evaluate items for owners. There are any number of online stores and sellers where individuals may compare prices and quality. By 1967-69 the market was predominated by cultured pearls. Short of expert opinions online, the only appropriate measure is lab certification. GIA and SSEF are acceptable. Several others not. In the absence of reasonable provenance, labs may decline viewing pearls, no less performing detailed examinations.

As to these pearls. At a cursory glance, they score low for the plausibility of natural origin.

These are good candidates for candling. In the views, uniform signatures of the nuclear material would most likely reveal cultural origin.
 
Back
Top