Multicolour Ts from Amsterdam Pearls, thank you Cees!

Your amazing new strand has also inspired me to contact Cees. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing your images and the new strand looks fabulous next to your other beauties.

Oh my goodness it turned out so gorgeous!!!! Those colors are amazing. Getting antsy for mine.

What size orbit clasp is that? The larger one or the smaller one? I was thinking of getting the silver one that is larger to give me a bit more length. Ideally 20" finished would be perfect but I think I can only manage 19" if I get the bigger clasp.

Oh my goodness it turned out so gorgeous!!!! Those colors are amazing. Getting antsy for mine.

What size orbit clasp is that? The larger one or the smaller one? I was thinking of getting the silver one that is larger to give me a bit more length. Ideally 20" finished would be perfect but I think I can only manage 19" if I get the bigger clasp.

Here are the details! I've included my SS clasp from Rio as well as well as the small orbit clasp from PP for comparison. Looking forward to seeing more photos of your strand. Did you ask Cees if he has any loose pearls available to lengthen it?

IMG_0868.jpg

Thanks Laguna and SunSeeker! I need a few more colourful pearls but planning on making a tin cup!

Here are the details! I've included my SS clasp from Rio as well as well as the small orbit clasp from PP for comparison. Looking forward to seeing more photos of your strand. Did you ask Cees if he has any loose pearls available to lengthen it?

View attachment 54217

Oh thank you! I did not ask that question but since he is holding off sending it until the end of next week I will.

Thanks Pattye, JP, Jwymark, amti and Katbran! The orbit looks great but is a bit stiff. I'm sure it will loosen up a bit with wear.

Sanippy - the Orbit is stiff and it doesn't seem to loosen up much tbh. I was making a GSS WSS harvest strand last year for a client in Venice Beach Fla and was asking about this clasp, I'd never used it before and the strand was for an older woman. Someone did warn me off it as it's quite tricky to open as it's stiff and slippery. I did buy a few and after warning her decided to use it as she wasn't planning on opening it - was just going to drop it over her head. She asked for a shorter version 32" so doubling wasn't an issue.

However - it did lead me to searching similar shapes - I found a German version from a high end clasp company that looked to be much easier to use. The same general shape but they flattened the top edge and the 'pointy end' of the oval was shaped down to more of a point. That flat top would give you a much improved grip. Sadly they cost about 4x as much ! lol

I like my strands longer than the standard lengths, so I have come up with a couple of tricks for adding length using Orbit clasps. I have 2 strands that were strung with Orbit clasps I had PP special order from KGH -- they have little cups that add some extra length. It may be possible to achieve a similar effect stringing a gold bead or 2 between the clasp and the last pearls.

I request that my strands be strung with 2 "active" clasp parts, basically 2 hooks instead of 1 hook and 1 eye. This arrangement lets me use 1 hook to hook onto the necklace to create a lariat and the other hook to hook through a pendant to create a drop for the lariat. It is also very useful for adding length. I bought 1' of YG filled chain and 1' of silver chain with large links, and then I use wire cutters to cut custom length extenders. I just hook 1 side of the clasp through each end of the chain. With my long hair, I can add up to 3" of chain without the clasp ends being visible around the sides of my neck. I have two 19" strands I like to wear together as a double. I add a 2.5" extender chain to the outer strand to make them nest together nicely.

I have some older strands that were strung with Orbit clasps with just 1 active end. If I want to add length to those, I use a longer piece of chain, string it through the eye part of the clasp and catch both ends of the chain with the hook part of the clasp.

Brushed YG Orbit 1.jpgOrbits with Extender 1.jpg

Ooh, KaySD, Love those brushed orbits with end caps!

looks fabulous kaysd - luv the brushed finished - luv the sneaky little extender - i'm going to give it a go with a tahitan choker - hate not being able to see them when I have them on.

Back