metallic pearls

Betty Blythe

Please explain to me what metallic pearls are How are they produced to become metallic? Are they left in the water longer? Another question:Under the forum Pearl Fashion and Style and the topic Ripples made Pricescope's Jewel of the Week there is a pink and lavender 3 strand necklace which I am wondering if these are fresh water pearls? I think they are beautiful. Are they rare and expensive? Thanks for any information. I love to learn

There are different opinions on what it means for a pearl to be metallic, but that shouldn't be the case, in my opinion. Metallic is metallic. Shiny is not metallic. A metallic sheen is very specific in that it has a reflection much like metal would.

There is a part of the mussel shell near the anterior ventral side opposite the hinge that where the nacre has iridescent, metallic qualities. When a pearl grows in this location, it often is metallic. They come straight out of the shell this way.

Metallic pearls are getting to be quite a bit more prevalent too. The shell that produces most of them is a hybrid cross between the Hyriopsis cumingi and the Hyriosis schlegeli - similar to what grows pearls in Lake Kasumi ga Ura, but a Chinese hybrid. This shell has a deep space between the valves.

The ripples you're referring to are freshwater pearls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Jeremy. Great information. Will be in St.Barths in 3 weeks where I have bought some lovely pearls. However I am still looking for that perfect 18" strand. I would like to talk with you after I return from the South Seas in March Of course I want to look at all the beautiful pearls but know I won't buy there because of the retail prices.

Back