Metallic Freshwater Earrings!

Now, speaking of PP, Jeremy, did I not just explain that I'm trying to save up for Ruckus? The Very Next Day, and I get a PP email advertising my Holy Grail - 8-8.5 mm white Metallics!?!? This is too cruel. Too harsh. Too Hard. I have no energy left for exclamation points.

I just bought an 18" strand of the 8-8.5mm ones. It's going to have to be my combined Christmas and birthday gift-- we just don't have that sort of money lying around!

I'm still a bit boggled.

Of course it will be agony waiting for them to get here with standard shipping, but I'll put up photos when they do. :)

I will be surprised if all other whites don't take the back seat to these. I love mine more than I can say. I really flashed hard when I saw it in with the colored metallics a couple of ruckuses ago! The first white strand of any kind that I totally love. (My Bahrainis are a close second, but that is because they are from my grandparents.)

Congratulations to all who get them. I think you will wear them any time you want to wear white pearls!

Well, dear ones...it's either-or, and I've been wanting to Ruckus forever. I'm just going to be strong, I'd rather meet everyone. No-brainer. I'm good with it.

(Now, I go into my closet, shut the door and wail)

it's cool. it's fine. totally.

Last edited:
BTW, do we know who designed the Blossom finding? I think it's absolutely delectable, marvelous and I'm wanting to give someone big kudos!

I just bought an 18" strand of the 8-8.5mm ones. It's going to have to be my combined Christmas and birthday gift-- we just don't have that sort of money lying around!

I'm still a bit boggled.

Of course it will be agony waiting for them to get here with standard shipping, but I'll put up photos when they do. :)
Congratulations!!!! You are just going to fall in love with these pearls. I have wanted a strand ever since I saw Caitlin's a couple of years ago. I am so glad I now have mine.

Well, shoot, now that my new pearl earrings are in transit, I think I should have gotten #2 down instead of #3. #2 looks plumper and they are the same price. I thought #3 was darker. Since I already have several white pairs, I didn't want anything too close to white. Now I think #3 is not darker. Oh my god, who cares? Why do I do this? Am I the only one who does this?

I bet those white metallics will be drop dead gorgeous!

I imported the photo to iPhoto so I could rotate it this way and that. The size is about the same, #2 may be inifintesimally larger, but #3 looks a bit darker. Personally like #3 better.

And yes, we all do this. You'll be happy with them when they arrive.

These white metallic strands are amazing. What I've learned (the hard way) is that when it comes to pearls, and batik fabric, when you find what you want, get it now, as supplies are very limited and may not be available again.

I'm going through similar angst about the clasp I selected. White gold, yellow gold, white gold, ??? I chose white. I'm already second-guessing it but I think it will be okay.
Why do we make ourselves crazy??

LOL. I think we need to blame it on a primitive gatherer instinct that kicks in when shopping (assuming the gatherer would always want both). Yeah, that's the ticket! :)

That must be it. We can't possibly be a bit neurotic! :p

Does anyone know whether the metallic white pearls are bleached?

I'm thinking they probably are bleached. Jeremy?

Last edited:
I'm going through similar angst about the clasp I selected. White gold, yellow gold, white gold, ??? I chose white. I'm already second-guessing it but I think it will be okay.
Why do we make ourselves crazy??

I think you chose perfectly, white gold will be the perfect compliment to those dreamy metallic pearls!!! I hope everyone will post pics when their orders arrive, and model them too please :) I've made WAYYYY too many purchases lately and am now on shopping hiatus myself for at least the next 6 months, probably longer. I almost feel like I need to stay off the forum to keep from making impulse purchases :(

I think you chose perfectly, white gold will be the perfect compliment to those dreamy metallic pearls!!! I hope everyone will post pics when their orders arrive, and model them too please :) I've made WAYYYY too many purchases lately and am now on shopping hiatus myself for at least the next 6 months, probably longer. I almost feel like I need to stay off the forum to keep from making impulse purchases :(

Thanks, maiakity! I think the white gold will look good. I find that as the day goes on, my necklaces all rotate to the right (probably because I'm right handed) and pretty soon the clasp is visible on the right side of my neck and I have to adjust the necklace. That's why I'm conscious of the clasp!

Staying off the forum wouldn't have helped me in this case-- I got the email about the white metallics and my heart stopped! I was drawn to them by gravitational force, LOL.
But you are right, staying off forums in general tends to reduce spending.

Last edited:

I got my pretties after dark, and my indoor photos were awful. I'll try again in daylight. I could see it driving pearl sellers nuts trying to give customers a certain color, when what color these pearls are depends so much on the lighting and what color they're up against.

Our regular overhead house lights with the pearls in their black boxes didn't flatter them that much. The smallest (lavender, top ones) appeared sort of mocha grey, the largest (lavender, bottom ones) were sort of grey pinkish, and the middle ones (peach, third down) sort of whitish.

I put them on white paper, and the smallest ones became a lovely soft metallic rose. The medium ones were soft light metallic pink apricot. The word that came to mind was "romantic" for those two pairs. Up close, the pale middle pair had a green glow and it seemed you were looking through the exterior of the pearl to metallic within. The large ones appeared to be silver.

Next, I put them under fluorescent (fish tank) lights. Wow. The big lavenders went bright pink!The small lavenders went metallic smoky pink mocha and I kept thinking "jazz club" (but of course I am not entirely normal). The pale ones still looked soft apricot pink but instead of metallic, they then looked translucent all the way through, like milky see-through glass.

My new pearl earrings all want to go be seen under IHOP (International House of Pancakes restaurant) lights now, :) but tomorrow I'll post daylight photos. These are so fun to play with. Anybody else notice this extreme appearance difference with the metallics?

Last edited:
They sound wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing photos by daylight.

All my metallic/exotic pearls look quite different in different lighting! I have some that never come out looking like what my eye sees, no matter how I photograph them!

BTW, I was at Nordstrom today and saw a pair of AAA Mikimoto 8-8.5mm akoya earrings...lovely, of course, but the price tag was a shocker: $2360.00
Hooray for metallic freshwaters!

Back