Metal for GSSP

Chroman

Do folks have favorite metal/GSS combinations that you use for setting inspiration, for things like earrings (other than studs) or pendants?

Personally, I LOVE 22k, but realistically I'm on a sterling silver budget! Combined metals work for me, such as yellow gold with blackened silver, that sort of thing. Not for everyone, though. Right now I'm putting patinated silver with everything, realizing that designers and jewelers have been using blackened metal for centuries~

When you talk gold South Sea, that certainly can mean a range of colors. How about you?

Thanks Pattye!

Since there are so many shades of GSS, and a few shades of actual gold, I was wondering about which ways things might contrast well. It seems like theres a good a lighter toned pearl to look somewhat meh against 14k YG.

I've seen a few examples of white metals that worked well, but they seemed to be more substantial than an earring. I'd love to see someone do a photo shoot with differing tone GSS against different metals :)

Yes, that would be truly interesting to see the contrast. Of course, if gemstones are incorporated (I'm a huge fan of colored gems) that changes the equation.

Some women so strongly favor wearing only white or gold color metal they wouldn't purchase an item no matter how lovely if not in their preference.

White seems to contrast well with GSSP. With yellow gold there's the danger of the pearl blending in too much with the metal colour. Maybe try to compare the pearl against different metal colours?

I've seen some pretty rose gold/GSS combinations ... retains the warmth of the GSS but provides more contrast.

Some goldens have a hint of green, even green gold would look good. After all almost every yellow flower I know has a stem or leaves that are some shade of green :)

Pattye -

Bring out the CS - I like that idea! I bet a GSS with a red stone might be a nice combo (if we're dreaming...). The person I usually shop for is a wearer of both white and gold metals, so I'm probably in the clear there.

Cathy -

I bet that would look nice!

BPD -

Interesting combo! I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone wearing green gold.

I have a GSS pendant set in a yellow 18k gold fitting (cap and bail, no stones) and wear it on a yellow 9k gold chain. The pearl is a light gold colour.

I like mine with some diamonds in the setting for extra sparkle. I started using yellow gold but find that white gold gives better contrast and will probably stick to white gold from now on. Think it's very much a personal preference.

The pendant is set with 18k YG, the earrings setting in YG are from PP and in 14k:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edit: argh at my ugly giant ear. I don't know how to resize the pics... So awful to see my ear. Ick.

Oh wow, wonderful pearls and settings Icy Jade! Thanks for the inspiration pics :)

I have seen attractive examples of GSS pearls set with white gold, yellow gold, or black rhodium-plated gold or silver, but the ones I like all included diamonds (white, champagne or cognac) or rubies. (Budget killer, that.) In my amateur opinion, I think it is tough to pair GSS pearls with a plain metal setting with no diamonds or other gemstones. I think white metal can look a little stark against the GSS with no gemstones. I think yellow gold is frequently used with lighter GSS pearls to add more warmth and yellow cast to the pearls, and that look seems to work, if there is enough contrast. With really deep gold pearls, 14k or 18k yellow gold looks too ?yellow? and not rich enough to my eye.

With diamonds added, any shade of gold seems to look good with GSS pearls:

Mastoloni Golden Ribbon earrings.jpgMikimoto 11mm GSS & YG.jpgEli 18K Blackened Gold Cognac Diamond Frames.jpgAllurez 1.jpgGSS & 18k YG.jpgdiamond bell.jpgEli Jewels.jpg

This is a pretty setting, but the pearls and gold seem to blend together:
YG & GSS.jpg

Whoa, those are all stunning, and that is a good point, Kay. My favourite (for another life, I'm afraid), the first one and the one before the last one.

Oh wow Kay - add enough pave and anything looks good :)

I especially like the third one. Now I see where folks are coming from with the suggestions of black rhodium and fancy diamonds.
And I agree on that last one. The setting would probably look amazing with a peacock tahitian drop, but its dullsville the way its set.

I'm still intrigued by the ruby idea - anyone seen good examples of GSS and red stones?

Tucs - Heh, yeah, I don't want to contemplate the price tags on these. But we can dream ;)

Back