Looking to purchase ss golden pearl necklace

Artpearl

I'm new to your forum and I hope you can help me. I'm looking at purchasing golden SS pearl necklace but I'm unsure if I should risk buying pearls on line. I'm not considering buying anything on ebay but what about companies that sell on-line. The prices vary greatly. Would you advise me on the best approach.

Hi i am new to this as well.

If i were you i would go to jewellery shows or contact known dealers, where you can actually physically see the pearls. On a website the colour may vary and may not be your taste. At a show you will have wide selection to choose from.

Kind regards

Hi Artpearl and welcome!

You can always buy safely from any of the regular contributors on Pearl Guide. You can find their links in their signatures. If you find something you like but need second opponions, we'll be happy to provide them :)

- Karin

Welcome to the forum,
It would be very helpful if we knew where you are Artpearl - there are sellers from most continents looking in on the forum who could supply the pearls you want.
I don't know much about jewellery shows around the world but I would not recommend them, since the sellers at them are literally here today and gone tomorrow.
Saying you want golden ss is a bit like saying you want a piece of string - what grade, size, shade of gold, how long...sort of clasp....etc?
cheers
!

Thank you for all the responses and welcomes. I live in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area, so if anyone can recommend showrooms/sites that would be great. (You made me laugh with your piece of string comment.) I'm looking for a ss golden pearl necklace approx. 17" long, round graduated, golden colour-toward the darker more intense side, not light cream or champagne (sorry I don't know the technical names), I was thinking of 10-13mm (not too small). I have no idea of the grades as they vary greatly on various sites and some even very legitimate sites don't disclose grade (Costco). I will look throught the list of vendors on this site to start.

Welcome to the forum,
It would be very helpful if we knew where you are Artpearl - there are sellers from most continents looking in on the forum who could supply the pearls you want.
I don't know much about jewellery shows around the world but I would not recommend them, since the sellers at them are literally here today and gone tomorrow.
Saying you want golden ss is a bit like saying you want a piece of string - what grade, size, shade of gold, how long...sort of clasp....etc?
cheers
!

When it comes to golden SS pearls, do we descibe the colour of the pearls in terms of golden intensity or by overtones? Is a darker gold better than a intense gold. I like both golds- but not too dark.

When it comes to golden SS pearls, do we descibe the colour of the pearls in terms of golden intensity or by overtones? Is a darker gold better than a intense gold. I like both golds- but not too dark.

you're correct, the darker golden tones are more desirable then the light gold or champagne - they're all nice of course. It sounds like you're looking for something specific so when speaking with online shops ask if the picture you see is the EXACT strand you will receive, not likely with a place such as Costco. Also ask if they have something available that's not listed, most online shops will have more options then you can see browsing.

Hi Alex,

The necklace you selected is very beautiful. I'm looking at www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-AA-102120-mm-Golden-South-Sea-Pearl-Necklace-2924.aspx. Curious what the cost is for a AAA quality necklace similar to this one. How different would a AAA vs AA+ grading on a ss gold pearl be? Is it noticeable? My preference of course is natural colouring. Budget is of course an issue but I'd rather wait and save up to get the beautiful pearls I dream about.

I did not see AAA ss golden pearls on this site. There are other site that talk about AAAA rating, but judging by what I read on this site, this is misleading. Is this correct?

Hi Artpearl

this might put you in the ball-park

http://www.pearlparadise.com/18inch-AA-100135-mm-Golden-South-Sea-Pearl-Necklace3930.aspx

although they are 'champagne', but naturally coloured

if you want darker, then be prepared for lots more $$$

although maybe just $$, if you will accept the darker shade coming from 'treatment' - as opposed to natural....

I will do just that, should I contact customer service rep at number on the sites or do I ask for a sales rep instead? Also, can I expect to see a certificate prior to deciding? I notice that sites that post certificates often differ in desciption to the posting.

wow - now that IS a nice necklace...... :)

re the differnce between AA, AA+ and AAA, the difference would be

AAA Flawless on at least 90% of pearl’s surface
Only 10% of pearl’s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
Only a single deep inclusion allowable
Pearl should drill or set clean to virtually clean
Luster very high to excellent*

A/B AA+ Flawless on at least 80% of pearl’s surface
Only 20% of pearl’s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
Only one or two deep inclusions allowable
Pearl should drill or set clean to nearly clean
Luster is high to very high*

B AA Flawless on at least 70% of pearl’s surface
Only 30% of pearl’s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
Pearl should drill or set nearly clean

so yes, probably noticeable - as you will have seen from the diffrence in the photos on the PP site between AA and AA+, but then all a matter of degree, and what would be acceptable to you

You could try a Private Message (PM) to Jeremy at PP - 'jshepherd' on your PM page, re your requirements

Cannot comment on other on-line vendors, but maybe beware AAAA ratings......

but PP (and other P-G vendors) are 100% reliable

Last edited:
Gidday Artpearl
You've created a lot of interest amongst Pearl-Guide.
I state at the outset, My wife and I cannot provide what you want. No sales pitch from us.
The best line you've printed so far is that "you are prepared to wait for the pearls you dream of".
Here are some basics to consider:
The skin shade on your inner forearm is pretty well your natural colour.
I've witnessed it many times over the years with all South Sea Pearls, people are shown a beautiful strand in a box or on a bust and instantly believe it to be just for them.
However some skin tones camoflage the pearls to the extent they look nothing like they did in the box.
Pearl colour shades are fantastic, but you really need to get whats right for you.
Before farming I was a pearl trader and retailer. I alway's asked the person buying, be it a strand or singlular peice, to place it on their inner forearm to see if there's a good contrast. Most times people are amazed at the differences.
As pearl growers, traders, retailers or simply pearl lovers, we should all be encouraging people to do this so the recipient always gets whats "right" for them.
This is the real problem for pearl traders on the internet.
Good luck with your pursuit Artpearl, take your time, enjoy spending your hard earned but do it "right".

I totally agree R&B.
I too have supplied exactly what the customer wants only for the customer to find it looks like nothing on her, no matter how fabulous the pearl.
You could, if you have the 'face' for it, go round jewellers' shops trying on various necklaces with a friend who could take your picture, or you could (more tactfully) try out fabric and print samples of all the shades of yellow on your arm and neck to see what leaps then send that sample to your chosen pearl supplier.
Hope this helps
Wendy

Hello Alex,

Here is another grading system that deviates from the description above. It also breaks down grade by characteristic. What are your thoughts on this. www.pearlsonly.ca/pearl-grading---golden-southsea-grading-guide/index.html

Also, I took a look at the ss golden pearls and found the prices relatively high, is it because the quality of the pearls are exceptional?

wow - now that IS a nice necklace...... :)

re the differnce between AA, AA+ and AAA, the difference would be

AAA Flawless on at least 90% of pearl’s surface
Only 10% of pearl’s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
Only a single deep inclusion allowable
Pearl should drill or set clean to virtually clean
Luster very high to excellent*

A/B AA+ Flawless on at least 80% of pearl’s surface
Only 20% of pearl’s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
Pearl should drill or set clean to nearly clean

B AA Flawless on at least 70% of pearl’s surface
Only 30% of pearl’s surface may exhibit slight, concentrated imperfections
Pearl should drill or set nearly clean

so yes, probably noticeable - as you will have seen from the diffrence in the photos on the PP site between AA and AA+, but then all a matter of degree, and what would be acceptable to you

You could try a Private Message (PM) to Jeremy at PP - 'jshepherd' on your PM page, re your requirements

Cannot comment on other on-line vendors, but maybe beware AAAA ratings......

but PP (and other P-G vendors) are 100% reliable

Last edited:
Thank you Rusty and Bronwyn,

I'm so glad to have found this site and get feedback from people like you and your wife. I've been going about my search in silence by going online and in stores (surprizing little pearl knowledge in even high end jewerly stores). I've love pearls all my life and it's so wonderful to read and talk to folks that also love pearls.

I agree with colour matching skin tones. I have fair skin and hair and I've had the opportunity to try on a ss golden necklace that looked really great on. I will go and try on another golden pearl necklace just to make sure that it looks as good as I think it looks and compare with white and tahitian. I will also do the inner arm test to see the contrast. More homework for me :).
Thank you for your advise and words of encouragement.

Gidday Artpearl
You've created a lot of interest amongst Pearl-Guide.
I state at the outset, My wife and I cannot provide what you want. No sales pitch from us.
The best line you've printed so far is that "you are prepared to wait for the pearls you dream of".
Here are some basics to consider:
The skin shade on your inner forearm is pretty well your natural colour.
I've witnessed it many times over the years with all South Sea Pearls, people are shown a beautiful strand in a box or on a bust and instantly believe it to be just for them.
However some skin tones camoflage the pearls to the extent they look nothing like they did in the box.
Pearl colour shades are fantastic, but you really need to get whats right for you.
Before farming I was a pearl trader and retailer. I alway's asked the person buying, be it a strand or singlular peice, to place it on their inner forearm to see if there's a good contrast. Most times people are amazed at the differences.
As pearl growers, traders, retailers or simply pearl lovers, we should all be encouraging people to do this so the recipient always gets whats "right" for them.
This is the real problem for pearl traders on the internet.
Good luck with your pursuit Artpearl, take your time, enjoy spending your hard earned but do it "right".

Great advise, I will attempt to photograph the pearls on and compare with white and black. Would you know what yellow paint colours most closely resemble golden pearls?

I totally agree R&B.
I too have supplied exactly what the customer wants only for the customer to find it looks like nothing on her, no matter how fabulous the pearl.
You could, if you have the 'face' for it, go round jewellers' shops trying on various necklaces with a friend who could take your picture, or you could (more tactfully) try out fabric and print samples of all the shades of yellow on your arm and neck to see what leaps then send that sample to your chosen pearl supplier.
Hope this helps
Wendy

Hi again Artpearl

I am not familiar with the alternate grading system that you posted, although at first glance the pearls look fabulous (but perhaps not surprisingly with a price tag to match)

Clearly this will be a 'once in a lifetime' puchase for you, so it must be right (for you)

My advice would be to keep researching, and keep on asking questions

Ultimately, if you decide to purchase on-line, you are likely to come up with a short-list of vendors

At that point you are probably going to start asking those vendors some very specific questions, based on what you want - don't be shy - at which point you should get back some very specific answers, if you don't, beware......

Obviously one of those questions should be do they have a 100% cash returns policy (not exchange)

Then if you are up for it, (can be a bit scary - I know 'cause I have done it with Hanadamas....) and you have the cash-flow to support it, you can have the best of both worlds, e.g on-line prices, pearls to try on, handle, and see in the flesh, and then return if you don't like them, or you find they are not as described. You can do this, one-vendor-at-a-time, as it were

Obviously this is not for everyone, and some folk do prefer the 'safety' of purchasing from a 'bricks and mortar' store - but you are likely to pay a premium for that. Horses for courses really.....

Ultimately, it will be your choice, which is as it should be. But you are obviously looking for some really special (and expensive) pearls - which is GREAT

Take your time, do your homework (as you are doing !!) and then .... well, then comes that deep breath moment, but if you follow the advice here on P-G, and your own heart's desire, I reckon you're going to get those pearls...... :)

Very best of luck with it

Back