Look at what's coming to the Victoria and Albert Museum!

GemGeek

Pearlista
http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/exhibition-pearls/about-the-exhibition/

pearls_banner[1].jpg

Oh I am so envious of anyone who will get to go! I am sure it will be amazing!

Meep!!!! New book on my list! Thank you!

Ticket purchased for Sat 05 Oct! :D

I am hoping to see other jewellery on show at the V&A while I am there. ;)

Apart from attending this exhibition, I shall go and see the musical Top Hat in the afternoon, and shall try and squeeze in a meal or two while I am in London.

DK :D

Hubert Bari did another book, published by Skira, in 2010. I couldn't tell what language it was in from the Italian on Skira's website. Did any of you get that one? This one has a different co-author. What is the quality of the V&A book publishing? Did any of you contribute to this book or exhibit?

Hi all

I saw this amazing exhibition today at one of the previews - the curators, the V&A and the Qatar Museums Authority have done a wonderful job.

The exhibition mostly takes a historical journey through the known origins of natural pearls, their formation and types of pearls. Diving traditions and history in the Gulf are next before a series of individual antique safes are used to display some truly unique pieces of pearl jewellery, including an earring worn by Charles I at his execution, the Dagmar Necklace, the Rosebury Tiara, Marilyn Monroe's Mikimoto necklace and other more contemporary pieces.

Gothic Pearl Choker.jpg

Freshwater cultured pearls were poorly represented overall and 'pearls come from excrement' also seems to be one of the headlines here! But these are minor quibbles. The exhibition was a one-off opportunity to see these pieces and well worth a visit to London if you can.

If you are interested, there is a short Q&A with the curators about the exhibition and some additional imagery of the pearls here http://www.winterson.co.uk/blog/2013/09/pearls-exhibition-at-the-va-museum/.

Andrew

PS - whicker - I did see both the books that you mentioned today. Both were in English. I think the main difference is that the 2010 book was published for the Qatar Pearls exhibition, whilst the 2013 volume was specifically published for the V&A exhibition. The 2010 volume is about twice the size, but is also about twice the price. I hope that helps!

Pearl Dreams, yes it was a real jeweller's fantasy. It was big too. Maybe 12cm in height at a guess!

Andrew

We have tickests for Wednesday next week!!!!!
Does anyone know if photography is permitted?

Hi Nora

I think you may have to check with the V&A. Photography today was subject to press consent and certain of the pieces and images could not be photographed.

Sorry.....but hope that helps.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. We'll certainly check.

Back