Look at what's coming to the Victoria and Albert Museum!

Hi, I wanted to pass along some info. First, I am just a consumer of pearls, not a pearl expert like many of you, so my apologies in advance for any technical terminology inaccuracies.

I live in the U.S., but I really love pearls, so I had to see this exhibition. Since the flight from the U.S. to London is a bit of haul, I wanted to first check with the staff at V&A to find out more about exhibition. Here is what they told me. The exhibition will only be shown in London at this time. It is not a traveling exhibition. I asked because I was hoping it might come to the U.S. and save me a trip across the pond, but she said there are no other plans at this point. The other tidbits she told me... the show is in several stages... the history of pearls, mostly how pearls were dived for around the middle east region. There is supposed to be a video of actual pearl divers diving for pearls and then shucking open a pearl (please excuse the laymen phrase here). Then, there is a historical segment on Mikimoto and how he started the cultured pearl business. Another tidbit, there are also separate educational classes that you can participate in, so if you are out of town and are interested in one of these special classes, you may want to time your visit around these days. The V&A website has all the details.

Lastly, entrance to this exhibition is timed, every half hour she said. So you choose a timeslot and purchase your ticket for entry at that time. But once you are in, you can stay as long as you wish. There is no time limit (similar the Elizabeth Taylor auction/exhibition, which had La Peregrina as part of the exhibition. By the way, I did see that pearl... big sucker, but not exactly full of luster as I had seen in photos and imagined. It is quite dull when compared to present day pearls, but I know La Peregrina is centuries old).

I purchased my tickets and chose the opening hour, which is at 10:00am as I wanted to be sure I had time to see the other jewelry exhibits at the museum.

If anyone has been to the show, please share any insight!
I am really excited to go to see the show... I can't wait!

Last edited:
Andrew
I hope a good book of photos comes out of this.

Willeyi
So nice to post! Please share anything you can. Your enthusiasm is making me want to go too!

Thank you Pattye. We are also very exited :)

Willeyi, our tickets are for this Wednesday. V&A has amazing collections of modern and contemporary art. The museum itself, though not special exhibits is free.
We will try to post impressions right after our visit.

Caitlin, it looks like a once in a life time opportunity. Go for it!

I chose a time slot so that I have sufficient time to visit the rooms with other jewellery on display before heading back into the West End for a bite to eat before going to the theatre for a matinee show.

Can't way, less than 2 weeks to go on Sat 05 Oct.

DK :D

Nora, I am SOOO excited for you. Please do share your experience, and I am sure it will be wonderful! I would also be interested in how long it took you to go through the exhibition. I can't wait to hear how you liked it! For me, I am so excited and can't wait. I don't go until November, and it's just a quick 3 days for me, but I have dedicated one whole day to the V&A. My 2nd day of course is Harrods, Selfridges and Bond Street, and then a cup of tea at Fortnum & Mason as I browse through the Pearl book I purchased at the exhibition (smile)! Then, my 3rd day is "open", in case I wish to go back and see the exhibit/V&A again! I can't wait to hear of your visit next Wed!!!

Caitlin, You must go! For a pearl expert like yourself, I think you will truly appreciate it, and it's a once in lifetime. That's what my husband said to me. I was debating on whether to go or not, but my husband said "you love pearls so much, you have to go, you will never see it again". I do hope you can go.

Nora and willeyi,

I hope you enjoy the exhibition, V&A and London!

DK :)

If it is at all possible to take pictures, share with us!

Have fun at the exhibition, guys!

As far as I am aware, picture-taking is not allowed, sorry.

DK :(

Hi

(If it embeds!), here is a beautiful video by the V&A on the exhibition.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151810160398880[/video]

Andrew

Hi

(If it embeds!), here is a beautiful video by the V&A on the exhibition.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151810160398880[/video]

Andrew

Great video, thanks for sharing. Just don't blink while you are watching it or you will miss something, haha :p

So excited to hear about this exhibit, I have decided to make a day trip from Paris when I visit in three weeks. History of corsets/underwear at the Mus?e de la Mode, followed by pearls at the V&A, not to mention the taste of real almond croissants...feeling happy as a clam (or perhaps I should say oyster). My only regret is that I will arrive too late to attend Anna's presentation on interchangeable clasps.

Sorry for the delayed report. London is exhausting.

We arrived at the exhibition early, but they let us in immediately. Lots of visitors, but we could still set our own pace. It took us a bit more than three hours.
The exhibit was didactic and historical. The emphasis was on Gulf natural salt water pearls. Many Pinctada margaritifera and some Pinctada mazatlanica. Natural fresh water pearls from Scotland and the Americas were also shown. Some really huge pearls, but the most amazing were a large quantity of 1mm drilled pearls shown loose, in a multi-strand necklace, and in embroidery.
Huge amount of extravagant, hyper-expensive jewelry, sometimes with lots of diamonds in a supporting role.
As for cultured pearls, only Mikimoto got any credit at all. Considerable cultured FW showed up in modern jewelry. Strangely enough, although the show describes the massive Chinese pearl production as a danger to the industry, the poster and the cover of the catalog (see post number 1 above) shows a piece made entirely of cultured FWs.

And of course, the video on the creation of a pearl ended "a pearl is never caused by a grain of sand."

Nora, thanks so much. It sounds like time well-spent. Were they selling souvenirs? ;)

Blair, in the museum shop: catalog and FW jewelry not connected to the exhibit.

BTW barely see any pearls on the street.

Thank you Pattye, we are trying ..... :)

Last edited:
Blair, in the museum shop: catalog and FW jewelry not connected to the exhibit.

BTW barely see any pearls on the street.

Back