KIMA (Tridacna sp) Pearls

That's a heck of a pearl and ring! How hard is the pearl? The setting is perfect for showing off the amazing flames!

Tridacna pearls, atypical of the bivalve family, are similar to gastropod pearls (Conch) in being composed of aragonite with a microstructure known as 'crossed-lamellar' that is much lower in conchiolin and moisture content than nacre. Hardness is approximately double that of nacre on the Moh scale. Drill at great risk (another reason for the prongs).

Thanks for the answer to my question! I have never seen a Tridacna pearl, but I can only imagine how memorizing those flames are in real life! I have a conch pearl, but I managed to kill the flames by over wearing it when I was younger without knowing it was a pearl. I was told it was coral. Now the surface is dull and one of the two pearls fell out of the setting. Sometimes it would be nice to go back in time and teach my younger self a little lesson.

Very nice design ! Is the pearl glued, drilled, or just held into place by the claws ?

The pearl is secured exclusively by the claw/prongs. At least that was our instruction. It is not drilled, in fact there is a small hole in the middle of the cup exposing the bottom of the pearl where the pin would otherwise be.

I have a question: At over 9 carats the pearl makes the ring top heavy and past the knuckle it spins. A 14k spring has been recommended but "speed bumps" appeal to me as a higher integrity solution. Any opinions?

I find that one or two little balls, or humps on the inside of the band on the palm side of the ring are very comfortable and keep the ring from spinning.

Also, not having the ring be round helps, too. If it's slightly oval, or rectangular, it actually seems to fit my finger better. You were making it for me, right? :eek:

Thanks, flattening is a good suggestion and this has been done for us with THIS ring that was also spinning on my finger. (Not a ring wearer, it subsequently became a wonderful tie accessory). We will pursue the humps also to keep the ring shank 100% 18KRG.

That ring is AWESOME! Perfect elegant and non-competitive setting for the flame of that pearl!
Yes to a small bump of gold on the inside bottom of the shank, we've done that for many a top heavy ring.

Last edited:
Sarah, what a great endorsement! A reason for my linking the poe pipi ring in my prior post was precisely to contrast with this "less is more" approach. This one will not become a tie accessory!

Sun has been extremely shy here in Seattle!

KImaRingSun.jpg

I like the setting even more now. It's the perfect simple adornment that lets the pearl perform. :)

Wow, happy ending to an old thread...Love these pearls & it looks so nice set.

Sort of reminds me of obsidian that has a pearly halo affect though not on a black background

I propose this thread to focus on quality Kima while discouraging appreciation for huge ugly blisters such as Pearl of Allah…

Nine years on, let me upgrade 'huge ugly blister' to 'disgusting lump.' Pearl-Guide has effectively killed this beast for those truly interested in fine pearls!

On the occasion of my wife's forthcoming birthday I rescued our 54-carat Kima drop from the lockbox so it could see the light of day at last. Thought it might be interesting to involve old and new friends here at P-G as this one-off pendant comes into being. Here you see the pearl upon liberation, and with a collection of intensely colored conchs. Bale will be pavé set with the conchs in platinum, still lacking a couple more good conchs for 360º coverage. Many color options were considered but the conchs feel right at home.

The master pearler-jeweler in whose hands this piece is entrusted will be revealed upon delivery!

Steve Metzler
View attachment 68539

Attachments

• KimaPendant02.jpg
    KimaPendant02.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 49
What a wonderful combo both in color and shape, I'm thrilled to see the final mounting, congratulations to the happy owner.

Off to a good start, can't wait to see the end result!

Back