KIMA (Tridacna sp) Pearls

Ooh, this is going to be Fabulous ... I look forward to seeing the big reveal!

Not worried about supply (from source), more a question of color and size, shape not so important as we are actually looking for a degree of randomness given the symmetry of the drop. Will see!

Last edited:
What a lucky wife! Does she know about this or will it be a surprise?

amti, just saw your post as we were otherwise preoccupied during the month of August! Yes, the photo was shown in lieu of finished piece due to passage of birthday and anniversary dates. Progress has been slow but the right conchs have been found so fabrication is underway.

This was a case of requiring precisely imperfect pearls (if that makes sense!).

The pearl now has a hat to wear (pending pearl seating). Last consideration is stones/pearls/colors for a matching two-sided bale.

Attachments

• Cap.jpg
    Cap.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 46
Indeed! Update on bale: No color, just matching pavé. Too easy to get carried away!

Shouldn't be long now…

Without further ado, here is the 53ct Kima drop in its setting with those painstakingly sourced conchs. Bale, as previously indicated, is without pearls although the requisite conchs had been found for that too. I just decided in favor of addition 'by subtraction.'

Two sides, the 'front' featuring the conch of deepest color. But both sides are beautiful, and the uniformity of the pearl is on full display with identical flame on each exposure.

Designer/jeweler is Jeremy Norris at Monili, as I'm sure some of you suspected. I was honored that Jeremy felt inspired by this project.

Still looking for a substantial (4mm-plus) 3-D platinum chain, ideally antique but if that is not forthcoming we'll go to the new market. If anyone has a line on such a chain, please chime in!

Archi2.jpg

Last edited:
Learning a lot about platinum chains! A really nice round weave is Foxtail (Wheat being more common). Not seeing 18" bigger than 2,6mm at the moment but that may be enough. I also want a neck shot!

Chain and pendant arrived in the past two days. Fortunately the chain has ample weight, as 18 inches at 2.6mm is already over 30 grams of platinum! The only source for this Italian Foxtail chain was PlatinumOnly.Com, who provided excellent service.

Difficult to see here but the Pavé on the bale actually picks up a bit of pink from the conchs, so had pink pearls been applied there it would have robbed the piece of this element of subtlety.

IMG_6925.jpg

Last edited:
WoW! Amazing piece. Thank you for taking us along on this journey.

Back