KIMA (Tridacna sp) Pearls

SteveM

In a couple of currently-active threads Tridacna pearls have surfaced. Also, a thread with Tridacna in its title was recently begun by a seller and as quickly aborted.

The Indonesian name for Tridacnidae (giant clam genus, Bivalve) is Kima. Indonesia is Tridacnidae's most varied and concentrated habitat given that country's limitless coastlines, coral reefs and remote island locations where this CITES-listed genus is still used as a sustainable, essential resource.

If an astute Los Angeles PR type could re-christen the Chinese Gooseberry 'Kiwi' to promote its adoption by New Zealand agriculture, why shouldn't the legitimate indigenous name be applied internationally to a pearl family thus far known by a name (Tridacna) more reminiscent of a treatment for teenage skin disorder? After all, we don't call Conchs 'Strombus', nor Melos 'Volute.'

I propose this thread to focus on quality Kima while discouraging appreciation for huge ugly blisters such as Pearl of Allah, or symmetrical Tridacna 'pearls' that most likely result from the pervasive carving and polishing of abundant shell material.

Below are recent acquisitions of proper examples, on the left a pair of tear drops in all but size (20 carats and 14 carats), on the right polar views of more and less flamboyantly-expressed chatoyant 'halos.' From a jewelry standpoint, there is a fine line beyond which flamboyant and highly directional chatoyance would make setting problematic, while not diminishing intrinsic value.

KIMA is an attractive and appropriate name for these potentially beautiful pearls.

This thread would also welcome examples of non-nacreous gastropod pearls of similar aspect, in the interests of attempting to discern the differences.

Attachments

• Drops-Round-ButtonX.jpg
    Drops-Round-ButtonX.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 42
Do we actually have any pics of Kima being worn by anyone? I'm wracking my brain and all I can remember are undrilled(?), unworn examples. Time to Google - and thank you again for all you do to keep Pearl-Guide cool and moving along.

Do we actually have any pics of Kima being worn by anyone?
Currently in the process of turning a 54-carat drop into a magnificent platinum pav? centerpiece. Use of colored stones (sapphires) is central to the design. Hopefully we can find a few existing examples for posting here, short of Hubert Bari writing a 'White Pearl' companion to his beautiful 'The Pink Pearl.'

Thanks Steve to sort out subjects properly,
one more question, when you say :
Tridacna 'pearls' that most likely result from the pervasive carving and polishing of abundant shell material
do you mean, "pearls" carved out from the shell, in a way "fake pearls",
or "pearls " that might have been polished to remove the less beautiful parts on a side ?

Thanks Steve to sort out subjects properly,
one more question, when you say :
Tridacna 'pearls' that most likely result from the pervasive carving and polishing of abundant shell material
do you mean, "pearls" carved out from the shell, in a way "fake pearls",
or "pearls " that might have been polished to remove the less beautiful parts on a side ?
Both practices are reportedly common, hazards endemic to all porcelaneous pearls (conch, melo, cassis, etc) and analagous to the crisis currently involving certification of nacreous pearls.

Fortunately, it is a simple matter for the gem labs to determine this, unlike dubious authentication of the nacreous variety. Certification is recommended. The safest way to avoid such pitfalls prior to certification is to choose well-flamed (under loupe, if necessary) specimens with flame structure that is consistent with the shape of the pearl.

Wow, some of those really look like eggs. Cool!
Could those be Easter bunnies?

(Comment fair enough, for one who has likened conchs to jelly beans?)

Turns out, rotation mechanics theory would apply equally to the formation of an egg and a symmetrical pearl.

Shuffling quickly back to pearls?

Here is an example of an attractive Kima 'pearl' that may or may not prove of interest. It is unusually (suspiciously?) symmetrical for its large size. I am told it has good flame, but the photos do not support this. A natural point of rotation appears to exist at the top, which is a positive indicator, at least for that side. Will have an opportunity to look closely upon receipt sometime next week.

If certified natural and there is a degree of chatoyance, it could make a nice centerpiece. Other thoughts?

Attachments

• KimaGrande.jpg
    KimaGrande.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Red X Syndrome - and I can't open it either. Bummer. Lately I've been able to open the red xs, so this is disappointing.

I dragged the image from P-G to my desktop and reposted that. Any change?

No change. Can you change the file name on your computer and remove the period in 18.4? This might make the file readable.
Good point. Period is now a comma. If that works will have to go back through my Nautilus postings.

I can't see it at work, but can see it at home. The filename has comma in it now.

I can not see the picture in post #9 only a red X, but the picture in post #1 is ok.

Can't channel Spirit of Nautilus on this one?

Thanks to Steve's advices, I succeeded in taking photos of my little one (it could be better, that's just a start ;))
A button 16.33x16.12x 13.34 mm weighing 22.14ct, nearly white,
but I did not correct the color on photos. All photos taken under sunlight.
I already planned to set it as a ring in pink gold. :)
Does anyone know if it can fade as pinch conches are related to?
Well loosing color when you are already white, what can it be :D

Attachments

• P1190335-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    P1190335-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 59
  • P1190336-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    P1190336-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 61
  • P1190339-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    P1190339-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P1190340-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    P1190340-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 59
  • P1190341-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    P1190341-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 90
  • P1190343-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    P1190343-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 60
  • P1190345-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    P1190345-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 58
  • P1190346-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    P1190346-CliClasp's Tridacna pearl.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 54
That's a very nice pearl, and actually quite large for that quality. The flame is haunting, and the shape is very nice. And you definitely do not need to worry about color fading! Please post the ring when it's done.

Back