Just wondering....about "natural" keshis

Someone is inducing very round keshi pearls in the mantle and calling them natural.

Well, how are the freshwater ones done... It isn't much of a mystery.

The task to identify the traces of the human intervention in the pearl is something else. Obviously, there was no point in doing this for freshwater tissue nucleated pearls.

As I understand, their nucleation was sperfected by doing, nothing fancy.

Last edited:
I believe the true cause of these natural pearls are due to external biological agents...

I remember the video. I find two details intriguing:

#1. there are no traces of 'attack' on the out side of the shell [it is said out loud] but some are found inside? [the spot does not appear clearly in the video]. If so, it must have been some event that did not disturb the growth of the shell. But what?

#2. just by chance... could there be some relation between the age of the pearls, and the time it took for the shell to grow past the 'event' that got the pearls started? Approximately?

It would be tempting to say that those pearls started with something happening at a former growth front of the shell. It doesn't take much to get things going wrong there. But then, it must be a very delicate 'something' indeed [which sort of fits with the reputed 'featureless' structure of some natural pearls - and some not-so-natural pearls too, if probably for different reasons.]

[all a hypothesis]

;)

I remember the video. I find two details intriguing:

#1. there are no traces of 'attack' on the out side of the shell [it is said out loud] but some are found inside? [the spot does not appear clearly in the video]. If so, it must have been some event that did not disturb the growth of the shell. But what?

#2. just by chance... could there be some relation between the age of the pearls, and the time it took for the shell to grow past the 'event' that got the pearls started? Approximately?

It would be tempting to say that those pearls started with something happening at a former growth front of the shell. It doesn't take much to get things going wrong there. But then, it must be a very delicate 'something' indeed [which sort of fits with the reputed 'featureless' structure of some natural pearls - and some not-so-natural pearls too, if probably for different reasons.]

;)

Keen minds deserve full answers. Yes, we could not easily see a problem on the outside of the shell. We wanted a "sign" that would allow us -without much hassle- to id these possible natural pearl producing oysters. Found nothing outside, but inside we did find evidence.

In the case of very small pearls the evidence -as seen on the video- is very clear. But what about the larger pearls (8mm+)??? Just as you said: the event that caused the pearl could have taken place way in the oyster's past. A large pearl implies longer time indeed. Maybe when the oyster was 4 months old it started growing its pearl...and at an age of 4 years it has made a large pearl, but I feel confident the origin was the same: biological threat.

BTW, just posted a photo of a natural pearl sliced in half on the Natural Pearls Thread that you may find interesting...it clearly shows how the pearl grew from a baroque shape to a near-round shape.

Well, how are the freshwater ones done... It isn't much of a mystery.

The task to identify the traces of the human intervention in the pearl is something else. Obviously, there was no point in doing this for freshwater tissue nucleated pearls.

As I understand, their nucleation was perfected by doing, nothing fancy.

Although they may have started out using CFreshwater technicians putting a piece of a mantle into the salt water oysters' connective tissue with a deft twist of the wrist, they may also have had to adjust the technique.

Also, I wonder if they did use the CFWP technique, would it leave the telltale signature of the dark space found in x-rays of the CFWP? They have overcome that obstacle, so the technique they are using makes their pearls look more like a natural pearl on the inside, at least.

I wish I had an answer for your last question... I mean, just the sheer number of farms throughout the IndoPacific region is enough to make one tremble at the possibilities.
I guess we are now seeing what kind of things happens when there is no longer a technological monopoly. The void left by the Japanese has been filled with valiant pearl producers but also with some rogue pearlers.

Very easy, free enrollment. The abstracts are free and are fairly detailed. There is also an article on the materials used for nuclei and a very interesting observation that
In 1919, a suit was filed in Paris regarding the authenticity of the cultured pearl but the material of nucleus was not questioned. If any artificial material was used instead of the beaded shell, a different result might have come out at the court. nucleating

The actual article Anna mentions contains an image of the internal structure of an abalone pearl.

Could someone post a photo of a natural pearl close to a keshi, from same type of mollusk, just to fix ideas ? or getting into more troubles ...

Could someone post a photo of a natural pearl close to a keshi, from same type of mollusk, just to fix ideas ? or getting into more troubles ...
The controversy results from the visual equivalence of the two (so yes, more troubles).

Finding a definitive way to distinguish the new keshis from the naturals will benefit the consumer tremendously, as the keshis would sell for a fair price based on the cost of production rather than implicit rarity.

Assuming, of course, that the practice would continue under such transparent conditions.

Thay's exactly what I tough, just wanted to point out this evidence though.
Not every reader of pearl-guide is an expert...

Per yer request Fair Lady...

First 2 photos: one of a group of Keshi, the second a group of naturals.

Then comparisons... keshis will always be on the left side (naturals to the right).

Attachments

• Keshi vs Natural 001 [640x480].JPG
    Keshi vs Natural 001 [640x480].JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Keshi vs Natural 002 [640x480].JPG
    Keshi vs Natural 002 [640x480].JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Keshi vs Natural 003 [640x480].JPG
    Keshi vs Natural 003 [640x480].JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Keshi vs Natural 004 [640x480].JPG
    Keshi vs Natural 004 [640x480].JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Keshi vs Natural 005 [640x480].JPG
    Keshi vs Natural 005 [640x480].JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Keshi vs Natural 006 [640x480].JPG
    Keshi vs Natural 006 [640x480].JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Keshi vs Natural 007 [640x480].JPG
    Keshi vs Natural 007 [640x480].JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 42
Wow! Those keshi have fantastic colors, so dark! Not that the naturals aren't stunning too. There just isn't anything like them, though I remember some black faceted glass beads that tried to look like them. They used to be my favorites, those glass faceted iridescent beads..... but these pearls are the real thing.

I actually find the keshi more beautiful than most naturals we obtain... but it is like comparing apples and oranges. I haven't seen any other keshi as beautiful as the ones we harvest here...but they are just so small. Wish I could just grow them longer, but every year it seems more difficult with the hurricanes, the "Ni?os" and everything else.

We will cherish and produce these pearls for as long as possible...

Mother Nature is the consummate artist -- and what a palette! ;)

I actually find the keshi more beautiful than most naturals we obtain... but it is like comparing apples and oranges. I haven't seen any other keshi as beautiful as the ones we harvest here...
Agree and agree again.

Caitlin, I agree too - I think the keshi are just the most beautiful.... Douglas, you really do grow some amazing pearls!! Thank you for the photos

I think the keshi are just the most beautiful.... Douglas, you really do grow some amazing pearls!! Thank you for the photos

Let me join the chorus......

I actually find the keshi more beautiful than most naturals we obtain... but it is like comparing apples and oranges. I haven't seen any other keshi as beautiful as the ones we harvest here...but they are just so small. Wish I could just grow them longer, but every year it seems more difficult with the hurricanes, the "Ni?os" and everything else.

We will cherish and produce these pearls for as long as possible...

At first glance, your keshi pearls are certainly beautiful.

Then again, the wonder of naturals still reign in this purist's mind.

Moreover, thank you for the distinction! Great photos.

Douglas, thank you, that was a beautiful experience; I don't know why the comparisons were so moving...but they were. Thanks! and there's no doubt your Keshis are special.

Last edited:
Back