Just a big Thank You!

stellabella

I finally took the plunge and tried re-stringing a couple of my necklaces. With the help of the tutorials and advice from this forum, I think I did a pretty not horrible job!

For my first re-stringing - some inexpensive dyed CFW. Without gimp because, because gimp is very intimidating.

With the second, I read a few more posts about using gimp, got brave, ordered some... and had no issues using it and loved the look. So, again, a really big thank you for the knowledge and encouragement you have here.

Attachments

• IMG_2362.JPG
    IMG_2362.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 22
Wow those look great!! What products did you use? I am thinking about taking the plunge myself. Isn't this site great??!! :)

Stellabella,

Terrific jobs! There are professionals (members here) who don't always use gimp, especially with the synthetic threads that are more abrasion resistant than silk. The little jump rings between the clasp and last pearl snug down nicely and don't move much. Sometimes the gimp gets scratchy and tarnishes before the necklace shows stretching, indicating it is time to be restrung. It will be interesting to see how your necklace with the pretty brown pearls, wears over time. I'm testing a "no gimp" necklace, too.

Aww, thanks guys.:eek:

TahitianDreamin, I used Beaders Secret from Pattye's etsy shop and medium vermeil gimp from Fire Mountain. I practiced with some cheap beads and just followed the tutorials.

Wow, those look great! I don't think I'll ever have the guts to restring myself, I'm way too clumsy, so I'm all admiration.

A beautiful knotting job! The knots look consistent and tight and the gimp also looks great!

I recently bought the .8 mm vermeil gimp (the thinnest gauge) from Fire Mountain, and find that the diameter is wide enough to accommodate doubled Pattye's Serafil thread or Beaders Secret thread plus a fine twisted wire needle. This should also work for 20# Power Pro, although I have not tested that yet.

Tucs, no one is clumsier than I am and if I can do it, so can you. It's not intimidating if you lower the risk-- that is, don't try it first with something you care about. Instead, just practice making knots with any old beads or pearls.
String a wire needle with doubled thread (it's easier to learn using Pattye's Serafil or Beader's Secret as the knots glide smoothly into place) and make a bunch of knots. String a pearl, make a knot, string a pearl, make a knot. Make a mini strand just for practice. Say, 15 pearls. You can do this even without a clasp. Just knot, for practice, until you can do it easily. Later you can just cut them apart.

To practice attaching a clasp, try it first without gimp, if you prefer. Thread a wire needle, double the thread, make a big knot, string on 3 pearls leaving a little gap between the knot and the pearls (for ease), pass the needle through the jump ring of the clasp and double back through the end pearl. Pull the thread through the pearl, snugging up the clasp so its right up to the end pearl, then make an overhand knot between the end pearl and the 2nd pearl and tighten it by pulling the doubled thread apart. Then insert the needle through the second pearl and repeat, then the third pearl and repeat, then keep knotting and adding pearls.

When you have 4 pearls left, string them all on without knotting. String on the clasp, double back, snug it up, and commence knotting between the end pearls as you did before.

When you feel brave, try it with gimp.

When nothing important is at stake, it's easier to learn, as it removes the tension in your hands caused by fear of ruining it.

I do this when trying something new with wire, too. I don't want to waste expensive wire so I play around with base metal wire from Michael's, until I figure out how to do it.

Last edited:
Thanks Pearl Dreams! Those are great tips. Now I just need to get old pearls :)

Wonderful first tries, Stellabella ... Beaders' Secret, and Pattye :) are wonderful!

Congratulations on your stringing project. Enjoy your new skill. As hard as I have tried I have never been able to master stringing. So bravo :)

Back