Is this south sea pearls/ salted water pearls or fresh water pearls?

drvery

Hi experts,
Thank you very much for stopping by. Please let me know based on the picture, is it south sea pearl? fresh? salted water pearl? I highly appreciate your thought.

7122-ssp.jpg

Hello,

I'm guessing this is a photo copied from a website. What size are the pearls? What does the seller say about the pearls? The picture looks like it has been photoshopped to give it a pink-lavender tone. Without further information, I'd have to say these look most like imitation, man made pearls, not cultured pearls.

So, what more are you willing to tell us? Are these your pearls, or some you are considering purchasing?

You are correct, the picture is copy from a website that I am considering to purchase. The seller says that the strand is of salted water pearls, size 9 to 10 mm. They look like freshwater pearls to me.

If you have a link to the actual sale it would make it a lot easier to determine.

If saltwater, they look more like akoya than South Sea, but the sizing wouldn't make sense. Akoya are almost universally measured in half millimeter sizes. In other words, 9-9.5 mm and so on. The size 9-10 mm doesn't make sense. I've seen 9-10+ mm strands that are graduated in akoya, but measured to exact sizes.

On the other hand, the size is small, almost too small, for South Sea. It's very rare to see a straight-size 9-10 mm South Sea strand.

If the pearls are a bit oval as they appear on the left side of the photo, that would be indicative of freshwater.

Well, I don't see any blemishes; they don't look like freshwater to me. Every single pearl has exactly the same reflection, roundness, the same color; to my eyes, which I interpret as a sign of imitation pearls. Of course, one photo cannot tell the whole story. Do you mind telling us the price range being asked for these pearls?

We are often asked to evaluate a seller, by looking at all their offerings, to see if their descriptions are accurate, their return policy, all important factors when considering a purchase.

Thank you for your thoughts which confirm my impression that these are not salted-water pearls. I strongly believe they are not salted-water pearl (south sea/akoya). They do have egg shapes from the photos. That is very obvious. But for the price that I pay (it is only 1400 for 42 inches), i am willing to accept that as a fact. As long as the strand is freshwater pearl (not imitation pearl) and nice as in the photo, I am okay because I am impressed with the luster. I will definitely follow up with you and post more pictures once I receive the strand.

Would you link us to the add or seller? There are often 'give-away' words, facts or phrases.

The return policy is 30 days. The clap is 14kt white gold. I am not sure. It could be 'bait and switch'. Until I receive the strand, I couldn't say much. I think that if it turns sour for me, it will be a good lesson and I will share with everyone here as well. Pearl is the symbol of purity, therefore, no dishonesty should be tolerated.

We will hope for the best for your purchase. Please let us know and show photos.

If you want help locating other pearl sellers who are trustworthy and give a good value for your dollar, please let us know.

Pearl is the symbol of purity, therefore, no dishonesty should be tolerated.
Unfortunately, that is often not the case.

It sounds like you have bought them now so we'll wait you to tell us more :)

- Karin

The price seems quite high IMO.

If you have not yet bought them,
and if you are ordering from China (just a guess)
and if they turn out not to be what you hoped...

...are you prepared to ship them back there with tracking? That can be expensive.

Here is my issue: If the seller is misdescribing freshwaters as saltwater pearls, do you still feel comfortable buying from them? Maybe the size is also inaccurate.

Thank you for all of your advice. I asked for a refund due to me not comfortable in incomplete/inaccurate item description. (Just like Pearl Dreams said it: Here is my issue: If the seller is misdescribing freshwaters as saltwater pearls, do you still feel comfortable buying from them? Maybe the size is also inaccurate. )
The seller immediately issued a refund. I think that is a sign of honesty there. However, the item is from Hong Kong and I would rather wait to go there and visit & buy there than have it shipped here. I am feeling uneasy to bet my money when the item is so far away and hassle of returning and such. This also means that there will be no photo for a close look. In any case, the pearls in the photo are really beautiful with desirable luster.

Yes, but that is the problem-- it's a photo. Which can be manipulated. And it may not be a photo of the actual item you would receive.

I think you did well to cancel. If you're going to go there anyway, I agree that you are better off buying in person.

If you can buy in person, that is the best! I'm glad you were able to cancel and get an immediate full refund.

In any case, the pearls in the photo are really beautiful with desirable luster.

IF they are real pearls... Pattye has a point that they may be shell pearls. The problem here is not just in being wrong about freshwater and saltwater pearls. Plus if the seller so readily gives a refund, it tells me they know they are cheating. Sorry, just the way I see it.

- Karin

Pearl Dreams, BAS, pattye, KarinK, Thank you very much for your support and advice.

I wholeheartedly agree with Pearl Dreams saying 'it's a photo. Which can be manipulated. And it may not be a photo of the actual item you would receive.' I am so glad it is over. I already own multiple of beautiful strands of pearls already. I don't need to rush for another one. Please find attach some pearls that I own. Hope you enjoy them :eek:

Have a wonderful day.
0527141609.jpg0527141628a.jpg0616141318c.jpg0616141941.jpgakn-s269147-main4-2.jpgakn-s269147-guarantee1-2.jpg

Attachments

• akn-s269147-main2-2.jpg
    akn-s269147-main2-2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 26
Back