Is this a Tahitian?

Marama, that would be great, as the donors insist it is a Tahitian. I have drilled stinky pearls a couple of times - I'll be ready. I also hear that sometimes pearls with the stinky inner part create a blue color which later fades (the color). Any experience with that?

Well, here are the latest results. I very carefully drilled the pearl, going from the end that looked to be the bead end. I drilled carefully, but the pressure of the cups holding the pearl caused the surface to completely crack. One small piece fell out (OK with a little prodding from me) and here are pictures. The end without the bead was completely hollow, and a little stinking, but no liquid. More and more I am wondering if this is some kind of Akoya baroque, albeit a large one. Are they trying to grow larger Akoya's anywhere? Here are the pics. Your opinions welcome, although the mystery is somewhat moot now.

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP0475.jpg
    IMGP0475.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMGP0477.jpg
    IMGP0477.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP0474.jpg
    IMGP0474.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 40
I really have no opinion... I guess you felt it was worth trying to find out what kind of pearl it is enough to have such a sad end result. Sorry that the result couldn't be better for you. :(

I'd rather have it break during drilling. I think a good bounce on any hard surface would have done the same thing, and then someone would have paid for it! The school wanted me to drill it and knew that I felt it was risky, so they're cool about it. Still wondering what it is. Could that have passed the Tahitian government xray?

did it actually have a bead nuke or just space?
maybe one to be hand held not drilled with a fixed drill....

I think the hole is through the bead nuke - it looks like there is no nacre there.
Honestly, I think this pearl would have cracked if it was dropped. it was like it was just a shell at the top.

Back