My first knotting project - taught by a master!

Wow, Lisa, you jumped right in and have completed an amazing first necklace! Love the "greenish figs" you've added to an already well designed strand; of course it was so much fun seeing the beginning of this project when you were here. The color contrasts of the new pearls add a lot to enchant the eye! I have admired Catherine's handmade clasps, and seeing one in person is to recognize how well made they are.

Certainly I'm no master, thank you so much for the compliment, but totally hooked on knotting! So fun to get together for a macro mini ruckus; food and pearls are an unbeatable combo!

Just a suggestion, but how about "Lowly Beaders & Crazy Knotters Club"? Lowly Beaders title was probably Caitlin's idea, as she was a knotter from way back, the 60's if I recall. She promoted learning to knot using all grades of cultured freshwaters, embracing imperfections, commercial grade and dyed. Caitlin's inclusiveness set the tone which has kept this forum friendly, supportive and non-competitive.

At previous Ruckuses both Sarah (Kojima) and Hisano have demonstrated knotting; who besides me remembers? I'm so grateful for having our tutorials and videos to refer to.

Wow, Lisa, you jumped right in and have completed an amazing first necklace! Love the "greenish figs" you've added to an already well designed strand; of course it was so much fun seeing the beginning of this project when you were here. The color contrasts of the new pearls add a lot to enchant the eye! I have admired Catherine's handmade clasps, and seeing one in person is to recognize how well made they are.

Certainly I'm no master, thank you so much for the compliment, but totally hooked on knotting! So fun to get together for a macro mini ruckus; food and pearls are an unbeatable combo!

Just a suggestion, but how about "Lowly Beaders & Crazy Knotters Club"? Lowly Beaders title was probably Caitlin's idea, as she was a knotter from way back, the 60's if I recall. She promoted learning to knot using all grades of cultured freshwaters, embracing imperfections, commercial grade and dyed. Caitlin's inclusiveness set the tone which has kept this forum friendly, supportive and non-competitive.

At previous Ruckuses both Sarah (Kojima) and Hisano have demonstrated knotting; who besides me remembers? I'm so grateful for having our tutorials and videos to refer to.

Pattye, to me (and others) you're a master!! It was my great fortune, and I can't thank you enough for your guidance and knowledge!!!

Lowly Beadears & Crazy Knotters Club sounds good to me!

Good job!!!! Now, confess. It's addicting, isn't it?

Are you going to tackle your flapper rope?

BWeaves, you read my mind!! I just ordered a bunch of ivory and cream Beaders Secret. But I think I'll reduce it to 100", and combine the left overs with another type of pearl or gemstones... we'll see... thank you!!

It turned out lovely! So much more interest now. Was it hard to do the knotting for your first time?

Thank you, Redwood66! I wouldn't say it was hard on my first try - I felt more awkward, until I began to find a rhythm. It'll take much more practice to become second nature, but practice is fun and addictive, as Lady_D has pointed out!

I like the result much more than the original version! (even though it was nice as well). Very well done, congratulations! :) neck shots please?))

Thank you, Lugana for your kind words!!
I took a couple quick neck shots between meetings...wasn't sure which was best, so I posted all!!

Attachments

• IMG_5051.jpg
    IMG_5051.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5069.jpg
    IMG_5069.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5052.jpg
    IMG_5052.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5073.jpg
    IMG_5073.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 32
She promoted learning to knot using all grades of cultured freshwaters, embracing imperfections, commercial grade and dyed. Caitlin's inclusiveness set the tone which has kept this forum friendly, supportive and non-competitive.

I think I only joined and participated because of this. Back then, I had a couple of strands of freshwater keshis which would not have impressed anyone. Having other people showing similar things made me feel more comfortable and less intimidated. To this day, most of what I work with is commercial grade freshwater. Unfortunately, my local market isn't very appreciative of fine pearls but I can always sell some less expensive things.

Thank you, Lady_D, JP, Sanippy, Mrsadm, Red, Cicadalady, Amti, Marianne, Katbran, KaySD and PearlDreams for all your kind words and encouragement!! I've been talking about learning for quite sometime, as Pattye so wisely said, it's always good to learn something new that takes us out of our comfort zones!

It's funny how I said most of these comments in my head before I read them. Does that mean I spend too much time here?

BWeaves, you're a hoot! If you don't mention it sounding weird, no one would think that. Well, no. Maybe a few might. But I'm not going to say who.... lol

And yes, Pattye, you are a master. :)

Wowza! The improved rope looks fantastic on you. And you're wearing it with WHITE LINEN!!!!

Thank you all again!! So true, I was so lucky to take lessons from Pattye.

BWeaves, ha! I love to wear linen in the summer, and during the warm summer nights soft Irish linen sheets are the best!

I would support the combined name as a lot of the submissions do not involve knotting and I would hate to lose the part of the name that Caitlin created. We do obsess over super gorgeous high end pearls a lot on the forum and having a less intimidating area to hang out is welcoming to newbies and crafters who may not have fallen completely under the pearl's spell - yet!

Pearls have come so far in the last ten years that it's almost hard to believe. We used to be thrilled with beading commercial grade pearl necklaces with gemstone beads. Embracing our inner-hippies. I like to think that all these recent fabulous tin cup rope variations are the modern equivalent.

Thank you, SunSeeker! I'm on a major roll... redoing pearl, coral and amber necklaces, mixing them up and adding accent beads - my office has become a bead shop!

Back