Important pearl(s) up for sale.

Ah yes, pattye- and deservedly so- this is one spectacular necklace. HOWEVER both those threads are devoted to what I hope is just the first example on this thread. I hope OTHER important pearls would be reported here as well, whereas the other two threads seem to end with this necklace because no one would look for other pieces under the title of Josephine's pearls. .

I hope I didn't offend you Pattye by adding a third thread!! We have had a number of important pearls reported here, but I don't recall a single thread for them all. Perhaps you do.

Like where is that thread for the Dodge pearls? or Marie Antoinette's pearls, now in a necklace with rubies -or even that enormous nacreous pearl that went up for sale almost 10 years ago-about the time of the pearl of Allah focus- (which pearl i wouldn't add to this thread, even if it sold). Oh and was it Kelly Lauren (not sure of last name but famous fashion designer wife) who put the Baroda pearls up for sale or rather, they were Wallis Simpson's two strand cherry-picked Baroda's.... And Ellen Barkin's potpourri strand. All those threads are deeply buried now, plus others I can't remember at the moment- and it just seemed a good idea to have a whole thread with a title that people can find in a search.......It is usually hard to find photos of such pieces except when they are offered for sale. Maybe Lisa and I can find some of those old threads and attach them to their mentions in above paragraph.

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea for a separate thread; I know I haven't been here long enough to have seen many of those pearls Caitlin mentions, despite hours and hours and hours whiled away happily reading archives :)))

And aren't we incredibly pearl fortunate nowadays, with the abundance of affordable pearls available, and in so many different colors and shapes. Pearl-wise, we all live like royalty! :)

Sounds like a fun task :-D. Everyone can contribute who remembers favorite Important pearls. We have lots of members who regularly scan auction houses.

I guess if the link or sale has expired, there'd be enough hints left behind to follow-up.

I think she's Kelly Klein?

The Pearl Carpet of Baroda would have been a great fit for this thread, thought it sold in 2009 for 5.5 million.

Baroda Carpet.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled22222.jpg

22222.jpg

A friend sent me these. I wish I could provide attribution, but alas I don't know...I will just consider them "Internet Ready".

BPDDC, what an amazing pearl piece! I would LOVE to see this carpet person! Probably there is a thread from back in 2009 somewhere here on the forum. The closeups you posted are fabulous!

I've only seen tiny black and white photos of the Pearl Carpet of Baroda. It's really nice to see it in color and have closeups. Thank you.

Wow, BPDDC, I've been out of town for the last week and so I'm just seeing this now. I would love to see this in person. It sort of reminds me of those Victorian valentines made with sea shells.

I bet all the other "beads" are sapphires, rubies, and emeralds, oh my!

OMG, that natural triple strand necklace. And what a great clasp for changing the length of the necklace and having interest in the back.

Back