How unusual is this stringing?

Parrot Lady

I purchased an akoya pearl necklace on ebay from a dealer in Japan and it arrived today. It's a 16" strand of 8mm akoya pearls with a 14kwg and ruby clasp. It is just as pretty as I hoped it would be but I've never seen a nice pearl necklace strung like this. The necklace is strung on (coated?) wire with the first 5 pearls on either side of the clasp having a silicone spacer between them. The remainder of the pearls have nothing between them. It's not a very flexible wire either, so the necklace is somewhat stiff although it looks fine on the neck. My knotting skills aren't the best, but I hate to send it off to be restrung when it's in such pristine shape. Is it okay to wear as is, or does it need restringing?

Attachments

• IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 36
The Japanese don't like knots between their pearls. The necklace should be fine if you like the way it lays on your neck. The wire should be nice and strong. I have a necklace with the bumpers and they are also very secure.

Thanks. I expect that eventually I'll restring it since I like to feel pearls "puddle" in my hand and these don't.

I know exactly what you mean.

The necklace is very pretty and I love the clasp.

Lovely pearls and clasp!

Keep in mind that the strand will be longer when it's knotted between each pearl-- I estimate between 1/2" and 3/4" longer.

If the added length will make the necklace longer than you prefer, you could remove 2 pearls near the clasp.

I wouldn't object to the necklace being longer. It's 16.5" which isn't the most flattering length on me.

I think you will be much more pleased with the drape and overall look of these lovely pearls if you knot between all the pearls. And yes you will have a longer strand!

Beautiful pearls and that clasp is lovely

Size and length also matter when stringing. As mentioned before not everyone adheres to a knot between each pearl.

It will be prettier just a tad longer I think. Because of that clasp. Which may also double as a focal point. Best of luck restringing it.

Back