How old is this pearl ? Play again !

Yes Inge,
it is a 1930 natural pearl and diamonds brooch, made by Van Cleef and Arpels.
Typically art Deco, geometrical design, really lovely

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi CliClasp,
fun to have got i right. BTW Van Cleef and Arpels have done some amazing pieces, I am thinking of the spectacular crown of former empress Farah Diba as well as parures for the royal family.

I hate to admit this but I am not an Art Deco fan :(

But i visited your photo gallery of the dino' stones w/pearls - they look like contemporary art - lovely, lovely, lovely... what a nice brooch THAT would be :)

You mean a fossil oyster 65 millions years old, as a brooch?
Why not ! a little heavy, maybe ;)

I would really love to see pictures of pearls on antique jewels from NY and Washington museums.
Does anyone go there next ?

Darn, I was just in NYC and didn't think about doing that, I was too busy with pearls I could touch and daughters that were leaving. I have already posted my only shot of museum pearls, the Rospigliosi cup from the Met. in New York. It's a beautiful forgery that is now displayed for its own beauty. I love the fact that the pearls in it are actually being worn as jewelry on the form. Here's pics so you don't have to climb back through the thread. It was displayed in the Renaissance section of the museum for years attributed to Cellini, a great Renaissance jeweler, but was in fact made by a man named Vasters in the late 1800's. If you want to read the wholes story, here is the link
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9502EEDC123BF931A25751C0A962948260

And all we do to determine fakes is rub them on our teeth, although as I've been reading in another thread, that's no longer reliable either. I miss playing the game. Are we allowed to get pics off the Internet and do this if we credit the site after we finish :rolleyes:

Attachments

• cupcu.jpg
    cupcu.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 40
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 34
Darn, I was just in NYC and didn't think about doing that, I was too busy with pearls I could touch and daughters that were leaving. I have already posted my only shot of museum pearls, the Rospigliosi cup from the Met. in New York. It's a beautiful forgery that is now displayed for its own beauty. I love the fact that the pearls in it are actually being worn as jewelry on the form. Here's pics so you don't have to climb back through the thread. It was displayed in the Renaissance section of the museum for years attributed to Cellini, a great Renaissance jeweler, but was in fact made by a man named Vasters in the late 1800's. If you want to read the whole story, here is the link
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9502EEDC123BF931A25751C0A962948260

And all we do to determine fakes is rub them on our teeth, although as I've been reading in another thread, that's no longer reliable either. I miss playing the game. Are we allowed to get pics off the Internet and do this if we credit the site after we finish :rolleyes:

Attachments

• cupcu.jpg
    cupcu.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 32
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 32
WOW - a cup - amazing.

Yes - I found some wild images while trying solve the "game". I do wish he will continue - it was so great reading the great ideas that were tossed around.

OOOoooooohhhhhh - no - I wouldn't take the risk of using the actual fossil - Oh mon Dieu!!!!!! LOL

Maybe the brooch could be a nice replica and used on a coat or cape done in a resin with pearl???? :)
I just love the fossil stone with the pearl idea because of the texture and naturalness of the concept. Found objects turned into jewelry.

Or even on a CliClasp :))))) It IS your photograph.

My turn to add a piece of art with pearls and to challenge you P-Gers?
One hint: It's located an hour an a half from my home (though it obviously wasn't created here).

So what is it and where is it?

So here it goes: פנינים בנצרת_2.jpg

part of: P1010125_2.jpg

It is in the Basilica of the Annunciation in Nazareth. If I find out any more I'll post back.

P.S. There are Japanese symbols on the bottom (you can't see them in your picture,) can anyone translate?

Last edited:
If you couldn't find a picture with the symbols I can give you a hand drawn sketch. However as you can see there is only half of the symbols visible, I've no idea what the bottom half looks like. Still a translation would be fantastic.

Attachments

• Copia de IMG_0283.JPG
    Copia de IMG_0283.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 45
Thanks! By the way, in that photo, the hand rail is right in front of the words. My sketch only has the top half because the rail covered the bottom.

Yes. You are correct. In the enlarged photo some of the letters are visible.

Our Japanese teacher who is also from Japan, (as opposed to our previous one who was named Timothy O'Connor) says it means "flowery sacred mother" in the literal translation. My guess is that would make it something like "madonna of the flowers."

Our Japanese teacher who is also from Japan, (as opposed to our previous one who was named Timothy O'Connor) says it means "flowery sacred mother" in the literal translation. My guess is that would make it something like "madonna of the flowers."

Is this a case where "flower" may also be "rose?"

Back