How old is this pearl ? Play again !

Hello PG friends,
I am back again, manuscript of "4000 years of history of clasps" is on the finishing, but I did not forget you.
I was lucky enough to have a private appointment at Le Louvre museum for egyptian jewelry.
We came into the safe room to see clasps that were not in display and all of a sudden, I saw several antique mollusk shells in a drawer among scarabs et gold artifacts.
Wow my heart was bouncing thinking of sharing it here !
So here is an about 3000 years old shell from the Egyptian department. See : the nacre is still shining!
Enjoy, more to come...

Attachments

• P1240624-Louvre-anna-tabakhova-cliclasp.jpg
    P1240624-Louvre-anna-tabakhova-cliclasp.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 50
nice shell shot, what a happy day that must have been. i've always dreamed of exploring museum collections, especially mammalogy and historical jewelry collections! can't wait to see more!

So 3,000 years from now I can still wear my pearls with confidence!

not sure, could be 3500 … :)

Dear Pattye,
Yes if was wonderful to be in the museum on closing day and go through departments having a private visit to draw my attention of clasps in egyptian world.
I could not tell about any blister, I did not examine the shell, we focused on clasps that were not exhibited and it allowed us to understand another one that was exhibited and could be manipulated.
Just rushed to catch a photo of the shell for PG members as we don't see often so old pieces.

As I walked through Le Louvre in different departments searching for interesting closures, I came across this shell found in Suse estimated 7-11 c. C.E. said to be used for making up , but not sure.
And it still "holds" the luster ! Lovely isn't?

Attachments

• P1240781-Louvre-anna-tabakhova-cliclasp.jpg
    P1240781-Louvre-anna-tabakhova-cliclasp.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 48
Hi Anna,
It was wonderful to have the chance to look through this old thread! It is still one of the best! I am looking forward to your book being published, too.

Thank you , the path was lined with flowers from the beginning, and soon tremendous news about ...

Very soon, Anna? You've perfected the Tease over the years, for sure!

Not over the years because all started in less than one year when I gave that lecture in last october.
In fact I have collected pictures on clasps as the same time than on pearls and did not really have no idea what to do with, and "it" arrived all of a sudden.
Soon a new photo of pearls at Le Louvre … and I will attend to the Paris Biennale in 2 weeks and will do a photo report for PG,
See how wonderful it was, just 2 years ago : https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6269

I guess everyone recognize to whom belongs this tiara with wonderful pearls ?
Exhibited in Le Louvre, I shot it the day I investigated on Egyptian clasps

Attachments

• P1240869-Louvre-anna-tabakhova-cliclasp.jpg
    P1240869-Louvre-anna-tabakhova-cliclasp.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 52
Yes, this is her tiara, the pearls are fabulous !

So back in a museum with amazing antique pieces (and clasps:)). Would you guess how old is this intaglio and the later setting with pearls ?

Attachments

• P1260864-camee-perle-medaille-anna-tabakhova.jpg
    P1260864-camee-perle-medaille-anna-tabakhova.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Looks Classic Roman period...Egyptian gold-work?
I am curious!

Pearls are at least 1100 years old, that' s why I photo shot the piece
Intaglio is Roman you are right, Aquamarine portrait of Julie who is Titus' daughter, signed Evodos, dated 90 CE.
But later setting, not egyptian ...

Back