Homework submission!

StarryPearl

Big thanks to CortezPearls 's tutorial video :arms: (https://www.pearl-guide.com/article...diy-project-make-your-very-own-pearls-in-half), I now have my first half Tahitian pearl :18:. So here is my homework submission:

filedata/fetch?filedataid=71872
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

filedata/fetch?filedataid=71873
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

I purposely chose one of my least expensive Tahitian to do this project, thinking maybe the nacre was thin. Have to say I was surprised about the thickness of the nacre. It was also interesting for me to see the "ends" didn't include any empty space with dried organic matter inside but it's just thicker nacre there, at least in this pearl that's the case. The banded bead nucleus looks neat, too! :07:

Douglas's video is really COOL, make sure you check it out! :D Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJNDqvdZ_vU&t=4s
To me the more important thing is, his video encouraged me and gave me the confidence to do it by my own hands. :) Thank you, Douglas, for taking so much time and patience to make such a wonderful video for me and all of us!:You_Rock_Emoticon: I had a lot fun!!

Ow shucks StarryPearl :veryhappy: well, you did ask and I had some time wanting to do one...wishes do come true!
Please share a photo of your "homework"!

And also: how long did it take you to do it?

So weird… I uploaded 2 photos in the original post and made sure they were there. The post went under “need approvement” (like almost always) for a day and night, now the post is here but the photos are gone… :eek:

Sorry guys, I will re-upload when I get back to my computer! :cool:

Guys, I am on my computer now, but here I can see those 2 pictures still up there :thinking:... weirder and weirder... Let me post them again:
IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5131.jpg

Do you have pictures of the pearl you cut???

Yes Jeremy, here is one before cut. I was wondering what made it oval-ish and was there any organic mass or empty space underneath. It's a fun way to discover the answer except that I can't both know it and have the pearl intact. :D I wish I can have access to an X-ray machine one day...

IMG_5049.jpg

Ow shucks StarryPearl :veryhappy: well, you did ask and I had some time wanting to do one...wishes do come true!
Please share a photo of your "homework"!

And also: how long did it take you to do it?

That's very nice of you to say that. :jester:

I uploaded again, despite from my computer I can still see the photos up there, or do you mean more photos?

I wanted to time it at the beginning, but was interrupted several times and later I lost track...and I also tried 400grit sandpaper because I happened to have it. 1.5hrs is my best guess. I didn't have mineral oil though, so I tried vegetable oil, which turned out so "oily" :pat:... Then I wiped it off... I guess mineral oil will be lighter and thinner. Maybe I should try epoxy resin.

I should really try some freshwater later to see the beautiful concentric circles like the one you did. :147:

Last edited:
So cool StarryPearl . What are you going to do with that half pearl. Can you get the nucleous out?

Thank you, Charlotta! :07:

I do want to make it into jewelry after seeing it's so cute inside. Even the banded bead itself makes a lovely pattern. The nucleus actually fell out, and I glued it back. I was quite surprised how easy it detaches. No wonder there are many pearls with a loose bead inside.

I used mineral oil all the time but had none when I made this video. I actually used lemon skin oil (used for aromatherapy) for the video...but I use only what stays on my finger (a dab). The beads fall off if you use a lot of oil...that is why it fell off so easily.

And you can indeed use epoxy resin to give it a "protective finish"

@CortezPearls, I used a dab, too. The nucleus fell way before that step...

TBH I actually cheated and took tons of pics during the process, but I can only resist my hesitance to share if the professor won't get mad at my cheating and other classmates are interested to see. :ziplip:

Last edited:
Oh well! That bead just wanted out then :)

My wife has probably cut around 1000 pearls in half over the past five years. She has always used a mini bandsaw with a diamond coated blade. It only takes a few minutes to cut them this way.

The pearl you cut has great nacre!

StarryPearl That looks amazing! You did such a wonderful job!!!! What are you planning to do with that lovely half-pearl? Now I really want to try this :D

I'm not all that surprised about the nucleous falling out by itself. I have several pearls where the nucleous moves around annoyingly and some with scattered nucleous.

My wife has probably cut around 1000 pearls in half over the past five years. She has always used a mini bandsaw with a diamond coated blade. It only takes a few minutes to cut them this way.

The pearl you cut has great nacre!

That's great to know! :D

StarryPearl That looks amazing! You did such a wonderful job!!!! What are you planning to do with that lovely half-pearl? Now I really want to try this :D

Thank you SurfnSci ! I eventually decided to make a ring to match with one of my bracelets. :p Go ahead and try it, it's fun and totally feasible!!

I actually cut more than a "half" - the reason I said I cheated was I cut 2 halves... :eek:

I just put my photos together and made a "video". I hope it could help more people who are eager to cut a pearl into halves by their hands like we do.:07:
Here is the link: https://youtu.be/g8ATv3YAJqM (I only have this one video and didn't set anything about Youtube payment so no worries on those... just wanted to share and help others.:))

Nice work StarryPearl :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I will post your video here too:

Back