• Sounds like a worthy endeavor.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Not a good idea...

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • HUMBUG! :)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

laurenb

I searched older threads for a similar topic, but let me know if I just missed it. :)

As many have mentioned, the number of PF members making pearl jewelry for themselves and for sale, showing their work here, sharing advice and techniques seems to have grown remarkably even since I joined not long ago.

Has the LBC ever had a Secret Santa circular swap sort of thing? I've been involved in a few on other forums, but PG actually seems like the best place to have a successful one. No one here is going to genuinely dislike pearls another active member thought they'd enjoy. This is not the case on perfume forums, by the by. :D

Any number of guidelines/limits could be set forth-- the gift needs to include enough pearls and beads to make a piece of jewelry, target price ranges, etc. But even without firm guidelines, I think almost everyone here has a few singles or strands they just can't decide how to sort out, and those would be interesting and perhaps even inspirational to a giftee.

These shenanigans are always opt in, of course. And hey, then no one who wanted to participate would have to wonder if pearls would show up in their stocking. :)

Last edited:
I think it's a totally FANTASTIC IDEA! Think of all the pics and design musings and what great fun!

My only guideline would be, not everyone is a LB, so we need two categories -- "already made" and "DIY" that way EVERYONE can join in!

Hi everyone,

I have severe problems with all the abbreviations used. What is LBC? Is PF standing for Pearl Forum or some Perfume Forum?
DIY means what? Please do remember that many of us are not native speakers of the English Language and therefore I often feel like an idiot and do not wish to ask....

Hi everyone,

I have severe problems with all the abbreviations used. What is LBC? Is PF standing for Pearl Forum or some Perfume Forum?
DIY means what? Please do remember that many of us are not native speakers of the English Language and therefore I often feel like an idiot and do not wish to ask....

Hi Inge,
LBC= Lowly Beaders Club
PF=Pearl forum
DIY = Do-it-yourself

:)

Ooh! This sounds like fun! Too bad I'm not a lowly beader :( I could swap custom pottery. Hehehe... pearls for pottery! I'll be quiet now ;)

Callire:
Have you thought about making pretty beads of your clay and firing them so they can be strung?
barbie

Callire:
Have you thought about making pretty beads of your clay and firing them so they can be strung?
barbie

Not really, but it'd be tons easier than doing a piece at any rate. What kind do you mean?? I've never really done them before... Hmm.. I could probably do something pretty basic... Pendents would be the easiest, of course. I don't know how I would fire circular beads w/o the glaze sticking. Anything particular??

I'm generally not a fan of mail exchange a month prior to Christmas. If you guys want to get started it's wise to start really early. I've nearly always lost packages for December orders, even local ones. I also think international swaps would be extremely difficult and increase the chances of packages getting lost, so I'm going to pass on this. I've seen many Kris Kringles on online forums, and while PG is one of the best forums I've been to in terms of intellectual input and forum etiquette, things have gotten ugly in all those other forums so be mindful that anything can still happen. So happy swapping, and be careful!

Definitely guidelines would be needed. I've never been in charge of one, but I have done one. It was fun. Some of the issues to consider that come to mind are: What is the price range of the item? What would be the date range for sending/receiving packages? Who would be in charge of managing the list and making sure everyone fulfills their end of the deal? Would the swap include international participants? If there will be handmade items, how much advance notice would people need to gather supplies and make the item before needing to ship?

I have been disappointed in the past because I am infernally picky, so I tend to stay out of these kinds of things. But don't let me ruin the fun for everyone who wants to participate. ;)

Not really, but it'd be tons easier than doing a piece at any rate. What kind do you mean?? I've never really done them before... Hmm.. I could probably do something pretty basic... Pendents would be the easiest, of course. I don't know how I would fire circular beads w/o the glaze sticking. Anything particular??

Callire: There's a product called PMC which stands for Precious Metal Clay. You mold the piece (you can even use gemstones and peals in the piece) fire it, the clay melts off and you are left with metal -- either silver or gold. It's not hard to find at all and since you already have the craft, this is a natural for you.

I'm going to opt out as well for the same reasons stated by Raison and Gem Geek, but I'm sure with adherence to guidelines, no one's feelings need be hurt.

I am spread pretty thin this year. A friend and I are doing a 6-day show right after Thanksgiving, plus the etsy store, so everyone else have a great time, and perhaps I can participate next year---------

In theory this is a great idea but the practical problems (value, made/loose pearls, customs, shipping...) are making my eyes cross

Hi everyone,

I have never participated in such a thing, the idea is great but I tend to think as Wendy, Blaire and others since there seems to be quite a lot to think about before everything would work out fine.

Back